What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Roosters Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
NRL Round 4
Sydney Roosters vs. Brisbane Broncos
Thursday, April 4
6:55pm (QLD Time)
Sydney: 1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Latrell Mitchell 4. Joey Manu 5. Matt Ikuvalu 6. Luke Keary 7. Cooper Cronk 8. Jared Warea-Hargreaves 9. Victor Radley 10. Siosiua Taukeiaho 11. Boyd Cordner 12. Mitchell Aubusson 13. Isaac Liu

Interchange: 14. Lindsay Collins 15. Zane Tetevano 16. Poasa Faamausili 17. Angus Crichton

Brisbane: 1. Darius Boyd 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Jack Bird 5. Jamayne Isaako 6. Anthony Milford 7. Kodi Nikorima 8. Matt Lodge 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Joe Ofahengaue 11. Alex Glenn 12. Matt Gillet 13. Tevita Pangai

Interchange: 14. Gehamat Shibasaki 15. Jadyn Su'A 16. Thomas Flegler 17. David Fifita

Big Pete

Referee
I'm on assignment so I had to rough it with the OP. My auto correct did a number on a few names so hopefully I caught them all. Poor Kotoni 'Moronic Staggs got the worst of it.

After last week's heartbreaker I'm expecting al much better defensive effort from the Broncos. Matt Lodge is a big in for the club, he's my early favourite for the Paul Morgan medal and I can't wait to see him clash with JWH. Gillet back on the edge shores up that defence and should strengthen the Broncos on the edges where they've been incredibly poor.

DeeJ

Bench
Welp we certainly sucked.

3. Lodge
2. Staggs
1. Oates

Boyd needs to retire and one of the halves has to be moved. We can't have two halves that can't kick and are big targets in defense.

Nerd

Bench
Roosters were just too good but it's not like they had much pressure put on them. Same as against the Dragons we are killing ourselves with unforced errors and the kicking game from our halves tonight was just woeful. Darius Boyd is so out of form it's just scary. Siebold has to step up and drop Boyd and show that no one even the captain is safe when their form is down. Milford to fullback and blood a young half.

Part of the problem with the Broncos, in my opinion, is your starting halves have very similar game styles. They are both running halves. Neither is a controlling, game managing style half. Hence it makes the attack easier to read. It might be worth using Sean O'Sullivan in the halves with either Milford or Nikorima.

Life's Good

Coach
Welp we certainly sucked.

3. Lodge
2. Staggs
1. Oates

Boyd needs to retire and one of the halves has to be moved. We can't have two halves that can't kick and are big targets in defense.

Staggs looks to be a very good player. He tried hard all night.

DeeJ

Bench
Staggs looks to be a very good player. He tried hard all night.

His defense was really impressive, especially on Latrell. Even if he wasn't in the dominant position, he always hung on and completed.

As for our halves. We have two guys who can't kick, are big targets in defense, never give the ball to their centres and can't organise. One of them has to move.

And Darius needs to go.

Life's Good

Coach
His defense was really impressive, especially on Latrell. Even if he wasn't in the dominant position, he always hung on and completed.

As for our halves. We have two guys who can't kick, are big targets in defense, never give the ball to their centres and can't organise. One of them has to move.

And Darius needs to go.
Yeah, Darius looks disinterested. I’d have Isaako back there(he had a shocker tonight but he’s generally strong). Bird to the bench(Roberts & Staggs at 3/4). Kodi goes to the bench & can come on for McCullogh or Milford to get a rest.
Bring in O’Sullivan as the organiser.
You’re not a Top 4 side but there’s plenty of capable players- Oates, Fifita(& ffs, keep TPJ away from the media, it’s his kryptonite).

DeeJ

Bench
Darius has always looked disinterested. He's always been the annoying 20 year old winger that would crab across the field instead of running straight. It comes across in all his play now.

I think Isaako might be having second year syndrome. Even his kicking is off. Jack Bird is the ideal no.14, however he has been playing well enough to start in my opinion. I wonder if he could be a smaller 13 like Radley or that fellow from Souths. Then again I don't know if that would fit into our game plan.

Lots of issues and picking the same side won't be the answer.

Nerd

Bench
Darius has always looked disinterested. He's always been the annoying 20 year old winger that would crab across the field instead of running straight. It comes across in all his play now.

I think Isaako might be having second year syndrome. Even his kicking is off. Jack Bird is the ideal no.14, however he has been playing well enough to start in my opinion. I wonder if he could be a smaller 13 like Radley or that fellow from Souths. Then again I don't know if that would fit into our game plan.

Lots of issues and picking the same side won't be the answer.
Agree something isn't right and picking the same team again isn't the answer. Boyd as the captain has to take some ownership for back to back terrible performances. The one bright spot was that Staggs went well against Mitchell and looks to be a player of the future. I rate Milford as a player but he seems to be struggling in the halves. The one time in the game we actually put back to back sets together we put a try on the Roosters so its not all doom and gloom but the plethora of unforced errors is just killing us.

gUt

Coach
Boyd bombed 2 Oates tries with terrible passes. Think about how that game might have gone if he'd passed to Oates's chest in the first 5 mins.

gUt

Coach
now for the good news: our NZ international halfback finally got his first try assist in 2019 so that's something

renouf

Juniors
comes down to the coach, we signed an unproven coach on a 5 year deal to replace WB.. really good work by the people running the club. Although you could argue he has inherited a mess.

The forwards look like boys vs men, especially the last 2 weeks. Issako drop him, why is it other clubs (like St.George) can bring in wingers in their first season and they look like they've played 100 games already.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
I can't put the blame on the forwards or the backs. The forwards were gassed from having to tackle 245% more than the chooks, the backs were always going backward and under pressure from a VASTLY superior kicking game.

Our problem is the spine. Milford is the only one I would be happy to see given more time (preferably at fullback), but only if he's given an organising half to support him. Boyd is a passenger, McCullough looks way off the pace, and Nikorima just isn't a halfback.

Nerd

Bench
Agree with Gut. Just adding Hess to the team and dropping one of the bench forwards isn't going to sort this team out. With Boyd in the team it's like we're playing with 12 instead of 13 men. It's a real pity he didn't follow dad down to the Bunnies.

TheFrog

Coach
Roosters had 69% of possession in the first half and by half time the game was over. You won't beat the Titans with that share of possession let alone the Roosters. The Broncos troubled the Roosters a bit in the second half with a better supply of ball, but bombed a hatful of tries. Some positives there.

Agree Boyd has seen better days, but I would not be reaching for the razor blades just yet.

DeeJ

Bench
comes down to the coach, we signed an unproven coach on a 5 year deal to replace WB.. really good work by the people running the club. Although you could argue he has inherited a mess.

The forwards look like boys vs men, especially the last 2 weeks. Issako drop him, why is it other clubs (like St.George) can bring in wingers in their first season and they look like they've played 100 games already.

Isaako did look like a 100 game player last year though.

We pulled the trigger way to fast on signing Siebold. Even if the board didn't get along with Bennett, just do and give him what he wants. He gets the results on the field. I know the last few years it's looked like our team didn't really have a game plan, but he got them fired up against the best sides. Our record against the top 4 last season was greats (except for Melbourne as always).

Last edited:

Latest posts