What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

King Ben

Juniors
Ok I am watching a English Super League game, and notice they are advertising Sharks V Cowboys on the British channel.

My questions, I get their commentary for the game, they get the fox guys?

Do these ratings count here?

Does it have viewers over there?

Looking at a random week last year, a NRL semi final match had 17,000 viewers at 9.30am on a Saturday as opposed to 80,000 for Super League later that night.

TheRam

Coach
Think the Friday 5.30pm crowds have so far been higher than the Sunday 6pm crowds? Weather has played a part but going on raw crowd statistics Friday 5.30pm is drawing better than Sunday 6pm crowd wise. Can't be refuted really?

Imagine the massive crowds on a Friday late afternoon, early evening kick off if they built the eastern Stadium on top of Central Station? It would be a crowd favourite and TV box office bonanza. Build it and they will come.

Stadiums need to be the right size for what is actually needed, have all the right bells and whistles(including fans staying dry when raining) and location/transport convenience.

The Moore Park Stadium will only have 1.5 of those criteria. It will have all the bells and whistles and beyond, the size will be to big for its every day use, but a curtain will alleviate that to some degree(hence the .5) but its location will still suck for the majority of Sydney folk. When you need to catch 2 or 3 different public transports to a game, especially in winter and at night and or with the kiddies, you can forget going to the footy. The lounge never looked so good.

I predict that the new Stadium out at Moore Park will not increase crowds all that significantly after the initial first year of operation. Sydney people in particular want convenience. The tram will help somewhat but not enough to make a huge difference in the long term.

A Stadium at Central would be a game changer for all rectangular sports and major events in this city unlike anything we have ever seen before. I mean look at the way people are waxing lyrical about Parra Stadium and it is nothing compared to building one on top of Central Station, especially if you put a roof on top of it. Like I said before, it would even become a tourist must go to experience when visiting our City. That side of the city would quickly light up and become a food and drink mecca on game days/nights.

Game changer.

Like I have said before. It is funny how none of the League jurnos or shows have picked up on this story and made it a crusade to highlight it and see if they could get enough buzz, interest and support to make it happen. Disappointing but not surprised at all. But 5 years from now these same jurnos will be whinging and bitching that the crowds out at Moore Park are a disappointment and that TV was killing the crowds and there are to many distractions in Sydney...bla bla bla bla and that not much else can be done. When all that needed to be done was stick the damn stadium on top of Central F'n Station!

Build it in the right freakin place and they will come.

Starkers

Bench
How are we placed v aWfUl after last night? I'm finding the ratings tricky to come by on the mediaweek handle. Anyone got a better source?

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
The stadium above Central will never happen. The whole rail corridor between Central and Redfern has well advanced planning for commercial high rise towers. No point talking about a stadium.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
upload_2019-4-8_11-5-52.png

No regionals in for Sunday yet. Fox looking up but Nine looking down at the moment.

Starkers

Bench
thanks @Timmah ... just posting these for comparison below ... appears AFL is having a bump to start the year ... NRL more or less on par:

upload_2019-4-9_8-52-22.png

upload_2019-4-9_8-52-54.png

comments welcome.

Starkers

Bench
they are courtesy of the @footyindustryau handle .. he does a good job.

my take is the Qld clubs need to stand up a bit. that would boost. but parra is surely adding and will add to crowds and ratings.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
they are courtesy of the @footyindustryau handle .. he does a good job.

my take is the Qld clubs need to stand up a bit. that would boost. but parra is surely adding and will add to crowds and ratings.
From memory no regional figure was ever released for last Sunday (WST v CBY), so I'm wondering if that accounts for the drop?

The_Wookie

Bench
From memory no regional figure was ever released for last Sunday (WST v CBY), so I'm wondering if that accounts for the drop?

Its factored into mine.

CHEMIST WAREHOUSE SUNDAY FOOTY

ROUND 3 - TIGERS vs BULLDOGS

·1.026 million people tuned into Nine’s Round 3 Chemist Warehouse Sunday Footy coverage, LIVE on Nine and 9Gem. (National cume reach)

·National peak audience: 931,000

Nine national peak audience 630,000 (5 City: 366,000 / Regional: 264,000)

Fox League national peak audience 301,000

·National average audience: 678,000

Nine national average audience 460,000 (5 City: 280,000 / Regional: 180,000)

Fox League national average audience 218,000

Source: 9 PR (via email)