What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do we call time?

TheParraboy

Staff member
One bad season and suddenly we had a squad full of overpaid reserve graders. But like Arthur said, the individual efforts were all there, all year. It was the team cohesion that was killing us. f**k off Edwards, Hayne and Norman and suddenly the individual efforts are in unison.

Didnt we want to (if we could) off load guys like Moses, MJ and a couple of others?.

Id say if Moses found a home else where before Norman we would still have Corey

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont think our performances are just down to BA. Moreso the team of assistants and trainers we now have, its a team effort not to mention we have recruited well which is down to our retention and recruitment staff.

BA used to do just about all of these tasks on his own. We seem to have found a good formula atm.

Avenger

Immortal
I dont think our performances are just down to BA. Moreso the team of assistants and trainers we now have, its a team effort not to mention we have recruited well which is down to our retention and recruitment staff.

BA used to do just about all of these tasks on his own. We seem to have found a good formula atm.
Great post Twiz. He used to be a control freak from what I’ve heard.

I’m joking, everyone needs some assistance.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Spin it all you like, but our pack looked like afl players. And looked very unfit.
AFL players are fit.

Our guys looked unfit because they were doing all the defending. Of course merkins were searching for answers so some of them fixated on AFL merkin as the scapegoat. But he wasn’t responsible for the team’s lack of cohesion and corresponding loss of possession.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Didnt we want to (if we could) off load guys like Moses, MJ and a couple of others?.

Id say if Moses found a home else where before Norman we would still have Corey
And we might not have the unity we have now. Some of the boys love him but my mail is quite a few of them think he’s a f**kwit. That makes him a divisive figure.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
AFL players are fit.

Our guys looked unfit because they were doing all the defending. Of course merkins we’re searching for answers so some of them fixated on AFL merkin as the scapegoat. But he wasn’t responsible for the team’s lack of cohesion and corresponding loss of possession.
I’m not going to scapegoat AFL guy but we did look unfit last year.

We might have had less ball in some games last year but there are far less penalties this year and therefore fatigue is a greater factor. I have much more confidence in our ability to defend for large periods of the game this year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Exactly. How many of the coaches at the top clubs have to do all that shit on their own?

Eelementary

Post Whore

I agree.

I think BA is a good coach, but he had way too much on his plate before.

Now, he has a team of assistants to take some pressure off him, and we are seeing the benefits.

AFL players are fit.

Our guys looked unfit because they were doing all the defending. Of course merkins were searching for answers so some of them fixated on AFL merkin as the scapegoat. But he wasn’t responsible for the team’s lack of cohesion and corresponding loss of possession.

Fitness for AFL and Fitness for Rugby League are two different types of fitness.

AFL is more endurance and running, League is more short sharp dynamic power, a run / hit up, a tackle. So I am not doubting they were trained and fit, I am saying they weren't fit for purpose.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’m not going to scapegoat AFL guy but we did look unfit last year.

We might have had less ball in some games last year but there are far less penalties this year and therefore fatigue is a greater factor. I have much more confidence in our ability to defend for large periods of the game this year.
Who exactly looked unfit last year? Evans was obviously disrupted by the World Cup injury, and Jennings said he wasn't as careful with his diet as he should've been. But Alvaro was definitely fitter last year, and Mannah and Moeroa were both playing longer minutes.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Fitness for AFL and Fitness for Rugby League are two different types of fitness.

AFL is more endurance and running, League is more short sharp dynamic power, a run / hit up, a tackle. So I am not doubting they were trained and fit, I am saying they weren't fit for purpose.
Well the premiers had a pack about as big as ours, and their lighter pack allowed them to have the best defence. They made up for their lack of punch with big wingers and a great kicking game. This year the Raiders have gone the same way, swapping Paulo and Boyd for some skinny Poms and finally defending well in the middle.

Kornstar

Coach
Some merkins are shit stirring and the same merkin said to extend him a few weeks back yet you just can’t accept it.

BA has them playing wonderful footy. The review and the obvious threat of sacking his sorry arse and most of the players playing for their future has obviously done wonders.

Good on him and the players that were under pressure.

The review right now is the biggest difference to me. 2017 we had coaches, 2018 we had people doing 2 jobs, 2019 we have coaches again........simple math!