What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Knights

ALSGI

Bench
It’s a beautiful day in Newy.
Track should be fast.
Keep in mind that this is as close to a home away from home for the Dragons with the Knights only managing 4 wins from the last 20 games here.
Have a great day troops
Sounds perfect for Dufty, Aitken and Rava.
Looking forward to a set 80min spine for the first time this year.
Also looking forward to seeing how Mann fares against us.
We’ll miss Widdop’s goal kicking.
Dragons by 10.

possm

Coach
Sounds perfect for Dufty, Aitken and Rava.
Looking forward to a set 80min spine for the first time this year.
Also looking forward to seeing how Mann fares against us.
We’ll miss Widdop’s goal kicking.
Dragons by 10.

We would not miss Widdop's goal kicking and not be worried about the leaky right edge if Lomax and Person were in this 13. I'd say the right edge with Host and Frizell would probably be stronger in defence than the left with the above selection shnages.

The progress of Dufty will be another very interesting thing for me to see. I hope he has a great game, in attack, defence and taking the high ball.

kit66

Bench
We've had a poor run up to now and the only team we narrowly beat sit just above us on the ladder in 12th spot. Our first half against the Bunnies was arguably our best effort so far but fatigue from a short turnaround and a criminal misuse of the bench undermined those heroics.
We only won by 1 point last week but I'm hoping it was the confidence boost we need to get us back on track. Our spine is set for now and our bench has improved substantially so no more excuses, if this team can't deliver then that's us for 2019.
Our first objective is to arrest a woeful defensive start to the year leaking more than 27 points a game. The Knight's attack has been poor but with Pongia back to FB that could change. Similarly though we get our most dangerous attacking weapon back today with Dufty back on board and you can only imagine he'll be raring to go, expect him to be everywhere.
Step two, stop Klemmer and you seriously stifle the Knights go forward. Saifiti on the bench is a big bonus for them, have to watch him too.
Step 3 run at S.Matau'tia all night, the guy is a turnstile and Levi isn't far behind. Having said that, the rest of their pack and the back's defence has been strong, big test for Hunt and Norman to crack them open.

Saints by 12.

Brutalitops

Juniors
While being 1-2 is not an ideal start, in context of our season I am not terribly worried as yet. I don't think our problems in our losses were fundamental, but merely the result of a few bad areas that needed ironing out, aside from playing teams who I think would have beaten anyone on those days.

Of course that's all undone if we are smashed by the Knights. They certainly aren't a team to snort at anymore. And with Ponga back where he should have been all year, they will be up for this.

That said, Dragons by 8

possm

Coach
We've had a poor run up to now and the only team we narrowly beat sit just above us on the ladder in 12th spot. Our first half against the Bunnies was arguably our best effort so far but fatigue from a short turnaround and a criminal misuse of the bench undermined those heroics.
We only won by 1 point last week but I'm hoping it was the confidence boost we need to get us back on track. Our spine is set for now and our bench has improved substantially so no more excuses, if this team can't deliver then that's us for 2019.
Our first objective is to arrest a woeful defensive start to the year leaking more than 27 points a game. The Knight's attack has been poor but with Pongia back to FB that could change. Similarly though we get our most dangerous attacking weapon back today with Dufty back on board and you can only imagine he'll be raring to go, expect him to be everywhere.
Step two, stop Klemmer and you seriously stifle the Knights go forward. Saifiti on the bench is a big bonus for them, have to watch him too.
Step 3 run at S.Matau'tia all night, the guy is a turnstile and Levi isn't far behind. Having said that, the rest of their pack and the back's defence has been strong, big test for Hunt and Norman to crack them open.

Saints by 12.
Expect lots of high ball and vigorous running to our right edge.
  • Dufty will have to be using our right post as his centre of field in an effort to combat this tactic.
  • Aitken can't take the high ball or successfully defend the right edge.
  • Rava has trouble taking the high ball and is often out of position making it impossible for him to defend on the right wing.
  • Late last year, Dufty became a speed bump in defence and more then often did not take the high ball on the full.
  • Let's hope Mary has worked hard with these three players to address these problems.

rasaint

Juniors
Possum when did Dufty become a ‘speed’ bump.

He missed Remis Smith in the terrible Dogs game last year. I see even the best fullbacks ( Dufty isn’t one of those) miss those tackles also. Other than that he is pretty good. Given he hasn’t played much this year I’m not expecting him to be at his best anyway.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

He missed Remis Smith in the terrible Dogs game last year. I see even the best fullbacks ( Dufty isn’t one of those) miss those tackles also. Other than that he is pretty good. Given he hasn’t played much this year I’m not expecting him to be at his best anyway.

A clear example of Dufty’s speed humptiness (not a word) could be seen during the Saints vs Melbourne game at AAMI Park last year.

There were a few instances where Storm players weren’t bothering to step around Dufty to score.

possm

Coach

Go grab Dufty's stats and see exactly how many tackles he missed.
We don't need to do a Mary and have an endless number of excuses on the ready just in case the Dragons lose today and just in case Dufty does ot play well.

On a lighter note SGI can possibly move from 13th to 9th spot on the ladder if it beats the Knights by 30 points or more.

Crush

Coach
A clear example of Dufty’s speed humptiness (not a word) could be seen during the Saints vs Melbourne game at AAMI Park last year.

There were a few instances where Storm players weren’t bothering to step around Dufty to score.
There are also countless examples of fantastic things Dufty did last year for us.
BTW, did you see Dugan at fullback last night for sharks?
Dropping bombs cold, spilling his lollies which lead to a try.
I know its ancient history but we have clearly moved onwards and upwards with Dufty over Dugan and at a fraction of the price.

Crush

Coach
We don't need to do a Mary and have an endless number of excuses on the ready just in case the Dragons lose today and just in case Dufty does ot play well.

On a lighter note SGI can possibly move from 13th to 9th spot on the ladder if it beats the Knights by 30 points or more.
Where will they move to if they beat them by 60 points or more?

jeffdragon

Bench

Saints by 12.

We have played away in n qld,then a five day turnaround.
Then away in bris and n castle.
We haven't had a great early draw like 1 cows 4/5 home games .
2 eels 3 at Anz and away at Penrith.
3 tigers first 3 at home the Penrith.
4 Knights 4/5 at home.
These aren't excuses they are facts .

blacksafake

First Grade

Saints by 12.
Good analysis Kit66.
Stopping Klemmer is the main priority as Ponga & Pearce will play off the back of his go forward & quick play the balls. I hope to see Dufty hanging around the ruck instead of waiting for the 2 nd man play all the time. Let’s hope the refs are not swayed by a very passionate & vocal crowd.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I found McGregors game preview interesting (hard to say with any interview from him but) that Lafai will do the goal kicking, however, when Lomax comes on he will take over gk duties.

2 things here:

1. Does that mean Lomax will be getting more than 10 mins?
2. If thats the case why not start him in the first place?

The great mystery.

Crush

Coach
I found McGregors game preview interesting (hard to say with any interview from him but) that Lafai will do the goal kicking, however, when Lomax comes on he will take over gk duties.

2 things here:

The great mystery.
I found it very interesting that he said Lomax is there for an injury to a back or for poor form. I reckon today is a make or break game for Ravawala. If he stinks it up he may be replaced by Lomax mid game.
McGregor would only have been talking about Rava when he referred to form as he has complete trust in Aitken and Lafai's form.

kit66

Bench

You have to look at what Dufty brings to the game and not just focus on the negatives. The first thing you'll notice today is our kick return metres improving out of site and that's not to be underestimated. Starting your sets just 10 metres further up field than usual is huge. Secondly pure speed and evasion, how many times did we see Dufty carve it up last year, line breaks, tackle breaks, tries and try assists aplenty - good for us but also scares the opposition. Thirdly, he can throw a great pass and has a clever kicking game and his support play is outstanding.
On top of that I can see him and Norman striking up a very good combination. Norman's short attacking kicks are just made for a player like Dufty.

One more thing people don't seem to appreciate, last year was his first year as a full time first grader.

LINESPEED

Juniors

2 things here:

The great mystery.

It ain’t no mystery -

just his professionally unhealthy (and absolute) commitment to Turnstile as his handpicked protege .... come what may

As with his other obsession McCrone, he stuck by him for his final 24.5 rounds - despite universal pressure on all fronts.

So buckle up for a long wait

Zac won’t be starting at #3 unless there’s a hammy off the bone - and I guarantee he’d drop Zac for a returning Turnstile even then.

To find a way of justifying his reinstatement of him for Rd 1 over Zac would’ve been an off-season project for Waterboy

And sticking Zac on the wing & out of position in the trials worked a treat

Last edited:

Latest posts