What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Official Reed Mahoney Appreciation Thread

Gronk

Staff member
First game yesterday I know but he looked a bit of an arm grabber yesterday. Hopefully better to come but an average debut I thought.

His service was not all that great and he looked gassed for much of the game.

The 9 that played 6 looked a better player TBH.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing game last night, 50 tackles according to Fox commentary team. How does a kid his size manage that ?

His work rate is extremely high and he plays with passion and enthusiasm and it shows.

Happy MEel

First Grade
The little merkin can play 80 minutes. I agree he can start to drop off tackles after about 60 mins but I like having 4 big men on the bench. The additional middle should be able to take on the heavy lifting in D around that 60min mark so Mahoney can lessen his work rate and focus on attack.

strider

Post Whore
The little merkin can play 80 minutes. I agree he can start to drop off tackles after about 60 mins but I like having 4 big men on the bench. The additional middle should be able to take on the heavy lifting in D around that 60min mark so Mahoney can lessen his work rate and focus on attack.
agree .... but I worry about him as an 80 minute player for large parts of an entire season .... i think it would be bad player management to expect him to play 80 all season

T-Boon

Coach
Very promising young dummy half.
I am glad he made 50 tackles because it is a very important part of a dummy half's game. Hopefully we can get that up to 70 over the next few weeks and by the end of the year his arm can fall off.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Amazing game last night, 50 tackles according to Fox commentary team. How does a kid his size manage that ?
A big part of the fatigue is from pushing across in defence and picking yourself up off the ground after making the tackle. Smaller players are better at this. Obviously if they're too small they won't cope with all the collisions, but there's a reason the blokes who top the tackle count are generally smaller. Even Jrbojevic is smaller than most middle forwards.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The little merkin can play 80 minutes.
Anyone can play 80 minutes. The question is whether you want/need them to. It all comes down to their importance in attack and whether you can cover their reduced work rate or increased missed/ineffective tackles.
I agree he can start to drop off tackles after about 60 mins but I like having 4 big men on the bench. The additional middle should be able to take on the heavy lifting in D around that 60min mark so Mahoney can lessen his work rate and focus on attack.
Agreed. And he actually defended better in the second half, despite Cronulla having 57% of the ball. He's obviously very determined.

T-Boon

Coach
A big part of the fatigue is from pushing across in defence and picking yourself up off the ground after making the tackle. Smaller players are better at this. Obviously if they're too small they won't cope with all the collisions, but there's a reason the blokes who top the tackle count are generally smaller. Even Jrbojevic is smaller than most middle forwards.

Valid points. The evolution of defence is interesting.

lPWzg2C34n3cchd3wyIfl8OvW2Wp4PbiLgaxoNyed82ZYOIWLTSlXd58RMTPOOU9VqHoR0OV2g=w299-h224-nc

Latest posts