What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Knights

ALSGI

Bench
You have to look at what Dufty brings to the game and not just focus on the negatives. The first thing you'll notice today is our kick return metres improving out of site and that's not to be underestimated. Starting your sets just 10 metres further up field than usual is huge. Secondly pure speed and evasion, how many times did we see Dufty carve it up last year, line breaks, tackle breaks, tries and try assists aplenty - good for us but also scares the opposition. Thirdly, he can throw a great pass and has a clever kicking game and his support play is outstanding.
On top of that I can see him and Norman striking up a very good combination. Norman's short attacking kicks are just made for a player like Dufty.

One more thing people don't seem to appreciate, last year was his first year as a full time first grader.
Well said Kit66.

After one year in FG Dufty offers more than any of our 1-5 and will only get better. Yes he can tidy up in a few areas but same could be said for other now established FB’s at the same stage of their rise including Lockyer, Slater, Tedesco, Turbo, RTS just to name a few. He’s a superstar in the making to most except here on the forum. Hoping he’ll prove to be even better than those mentioned over time.

What the opposition know is he can score from anywhere, anytime and from anything. What the opposition (and forumers) don’t know yet is if he’s tidied up his defence or has he improved as an attacking weapon. Time will tell.

emack

Juniors
I think I've finally figured something out..............I'm so down on believing we'll win as a way to protect myself from losing. I have absolutely no faith in the team, with McDuckwit in charge. As someone said previously, Des's team got it done even after losing their best player, but the key difference is that Manly has a coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crush

Coach
What's with all the Des Hasler Manly love in here?
They are 2 and 2 last time I looked and were lucky to win yesterday. They played at home against a flat souths that had an off day. If Burgess didn't drop the pill cold in front with 5 to go they lose.
BTW, Dragons got the job done last week vs Broncos away minus our best player also, doesn't mean our coach is good.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Expect lots of high ball and vigorous running to our right edge.
  • Dufty will have to be using our right post as his centre of field in an effort to combat this tactic.
  • Aitken can't take the high ball or successfully defend the right edge.
  • Rava has trouble taking the high ball and is often out of position making it impossible for him to defend on the right wing.
  • Late last year, Dufty became a speed bump in defence and more then often did not take the high ball on the full.
  • Let's hope Mary has worked hard with these three players to address these problems.
yes didnt DUGAN have a super game at fullback boys

Belta

Juniors
I think there is very little between these two sides. I think we will both just make the eight. Newcastle still look clunky and fingers crossed I’m hoping there’ll a little way from finding their groove. Dragons to win by 2

TruSaint

Referee
Posted this on JA as well.

Will be interesting to see how we go without a 1st string goal kicker.

Putting the debate about Widdop's general play aside, ( there are other threads for that ), the close games this weekend have been the combination of clutch plays and poor goal kicking. Souths and Wests come to mind.

Converting 4 points to 6 is massive.
I hope it doesn't become an issue for us.

George Dragon

Juniors

Putting the debate about Widdop's general play aside, ( there are other threads for that ), the close games this weekend have been the combination of clutch plays and poor goal kicking. Souths and Wests come to mind.

Good point and with Widdop not looking like playing this year and gone after that, what is the long term solution

Dragsters

First Grade

Indeed.

I'm looking for Norman to keep improving and not rest on his laurels from being the match winner last game.

We have seen what he is capable of wearing different colours and now it's time for him to really earn his Red V...

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
Indeed.

I'm looking for Norman to keep improving and not rest his laurels from being the match winner last game.

We have seen what he is capable of wearing different colours and now it's time for him to really earn his Red V...
Agreed, he’s had time in the RedV and now needs to step in and work with Hunt to put us where we belong.

getsmarty

Immortal
tyson-frizell-page-2-4.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Late mail: Round 4 v Newcastle Knights
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sun 7 Apr 2019, 05:10 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has finalised his squad for the Dragons' Round 4 clash against the Newcastle Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday, April 7.

Tyson Frizell will make his return from a lacerated testicle on the interchange, as Jai Field and Mitch Allgood drop out of the squad altogether.

Luciano Leilua and Jonus Pearson were the two players to drop out of the squad on Saturday afternoon.

NRL team for Round 4 v Newcastle Knights -

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by SMAI
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham (c) – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Jacob Host – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
15. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group
16. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
18. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Domus Lighting

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/07/late-mail-round-4-v-newcastle-knights/

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Should be a cracker. Have to watch Ponga and Klemperer but we have the troops. Only wonder for me is Lomax on the bench. Friz just back from a major injury and no JDB but still only three forwards... hopefully doesn’t bite us....Go the mighties!

Latest posts