What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 championship & league one..

TDD91

Juniors
I've lived 10 miles from Sheffield for the vast majority of my life, I've played at their old ground in an American Football game, I've been to see Wigan against the Eagles numerous times. Unfortunately there just isn't the interest in Sheffield for any sport other than soccer. If you ground share with 1 of the 2 teams, you'll put off new fans from the other team and there aren't any other viable stadia in the city itself. Sheffield FC are an 8th tier soccer team and their stadium is about the right size for the average Eagles crowd, but their ground isn't easy to get to by public transport and there's nothing else really around it other than the pub the club owns.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I've lived 10 miles from Sheffield for the vast majority of my life, I've played at their old ground in an American Football game, I've been to see Wigan against the Eagles numerous times. Unfortunately there just isn't the interest in Sheffield for any sport other than soccer. If you ground share with 1 of the 2 teams, you'll put off new fans from the other team and there aren't any other viable stadia in the city itself. Sheffield FC are an 8th tier soccer team and their stadium is about the right size for the average Eagles crowd, but their ground isn't easy to get to by public transport and there's nothing else really around it other than the pub the club owns.
The current location is ideal if they ever actually build the stadium there. I think the club have said that they won't ever move again either way.

roughyedspud

Coach
In a era where the RFL weren't shy about buying stadia or leases for stadia I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't take a chance on the don valley stadium ??
DonValley-e1362425885112.jpg

I'd have ripped the track out,moved the pitch nearer the main stand,maybe put some temporary stands around the rectangular pitch.....I'd retain the original playing area and original bowl seating for concerts and maybe 20/20 & ODI cricket...

Such a waste imo

deluded pom?

Coach
I think RU is strong in a lot of these market towns in North Yorkshire.
I don’t doubt that but North Yorkshire, as Homer has already pointed out, has a small population and little in the way of any sporting success. I just don’t see York getting big attendances in SL should they get there. Plenty of away support but purely because York is a lovely city that isn’t too far from West Yorkshire or Hull.

adamkungl

Immortal

In a decent sized city, someone with drive (and money) can sell anything. If you can sell Rugby League in Toronto you can sure as shit sell it in Sheffield.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
2 more wins for the Wolfpack and Toulouse yesterday who sit 1st&2nd respectively.

Damn shame potentially only one of these teams can win promotion to super league.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
In a era where the RFL weren't shy about buying stadia or leases for stadia I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't take a chance on the don valley stadium ??
DonValley-e1362425885112.jpg

I'd have ripped the track out,moved the pitch nearer the main stand,maybe put some temporary stands around the rectangular pitch.....I'd retain the original playing area and original bowl seating for concerts and maybe 20/20 & ODI cricket...

Such a waste imo
Not a bad call that actually. Slowly redevelop the stadium to a modern 25,000-30,000 stadium hosting England RL games, challenge cup double header semi-finals and championship&league1 playoff finals.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
In a decent sized city, someone with drive (and money) can sell anything. If you can sell Rugby League in Toronto you can sure as shit sell it in Sheffield.
imo the key to growing RL in Sheffield is at grassroots. We need to get the kids playing, talking and watching RL at youth level. Primary and secondary schools as well as university and colleges in the area.

A city the size of Sheffield needs more than 1 grassroots club. The hillsborogh hawks. There should be at least 4-5 clubs.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Not a bad call that actually. Slowly redevelop the stadium to a modern 25,000-30,000 stadium hosting England RL games, challenge cup double header semi-finals and championship&league1 playoff finals.
The stadium is gone. It was demolished about 4 years ago.

deluded pom?

Coach
imo the key to growing RL in Sheffield is at grassroots. We need to get the kids playing, talking and watching RL at youth level. Primary and secondary schools as well as university and colleges in the area.

A city the size of Sheffield needs more than 1 grassroots club. The hillsborogh hawks. There should be at least 4-5 clubs.
That’s the way any expansion will work IMO. Sheffield should be able to sustain it’s own amateur league. It’s far bigger than Hull. I could easily envisage an eight team league in Sheffield.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
That’s the way any expansion will work IMO. Sheffield should be able to sustain it’s own amateur league. It’s far bigger than Hull. I could easily envisage an eight team league in Sheffield.
Even a 8 team South Yorkshire amateur league would be better than what we have now with teams from Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley and Rotherham etc.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Some strange results this good Friday fixtures. Sheffield giving Toulouse a spanking and Bradford just pipping Halifax.

Good win for Widnes at home to Leigh in front of 6.000.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
The top4/5 in the championship still reads of an expansionists and big RL playing cities wet dream of :-

1. Toronto
2. Toulouse
3. Sheffield
4. York

5. Bradford

Inkers75

Juniors
Agreed. York will always struggle to gain big crowds as Leeds, Cas and Hull are all within an hours drive away.

There is an excellent amateur presence in the City mind you.

I don’t doubt that but North Yorkshire, as Homer has already pointed out, has a small population and little in the way of any sporting success. I just don’t see York getting big attendances in SL should they get there. Plenty of away support but purely because York is a lovely city that isn’t too far from West Yorkshire or Hull.