What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 vs Knights

getsmarty

Immortal

INJURIES

Korbin Sims plays on despite suspected broken arm
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sun 7 Apr 2019, 07:37 PM

Korbin Sims has suffered a suspected fractured arm in his team's game against the Knights on Sunday night.

In just his second game back from the suspension that delayed his start to the season, Sims suffered the injury in a regulation hit-up around five minutes after being injected from the bench.

He stayed on for around 15 minutes despite being in obvious discomfort before being interchanged at half-time.

Korbin Sims has injured his arm and will not return for the Dragons this evening.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/07/korbin-sims-plays-on-despite-suspected-broken-arm/

LINESPEED

Juniors
I think Graham needs a week off, he’s putting in 110% but been belted from pillar to post. Kerr and Timms I say.

Yep - at least we now have some backup forwards who’ve had game time. Agree Graham looked buggered

getsmarty

Immortal
Norman delivers to hand St George Illawarra Dragons thrilling NRL victory
Dragons Den
r0_309_4485_2841_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Saviour: Corey Norman lands the match-winning field goal for St George Illawarra on Sunday night. Picture: NRL Photos/Paul Barkley.
Two weeks in a row the Dragons have looked to someone to stand up with the game on the line.

And two weeks in a row Corey Norman has stepped up to deliver his team the victory.

After last week's Suncorp Stadium heroics, this week it was a field goal from 42 metres out in the 87th minute to secure a thrilling 13-12 golden-point victory.

"Character's like that do [love the big moment]," Dragons coach Paul McGregor said of Norman. "He wants the footy at important times and that's what your better playmakers do, they want to go after the game instead of trying to hide away from it.

"That's one thing he's done in the last couple of weeks, he's wanted that footy at the right time and he's come up with two clutch plays."

The field goal was Norman's third attempt of the match, with Newcastle half Mitchell Pearce also unable to capitalise on three chances with boot.

For Norman, the early misses had no bearing on his mindset heading into the third, and deciding, kick.

"I just took it upon myself to step up and have a crack," Norman said. "I think I said it last week, I don't have a very good success rate at field goals, but somehow they keep going over at the moment, so I'll take it.

"Obviously I'm going to back myself, I missed the first two and then that third one, I'm going to step up and believe I'm going to hit it."

Norman was among the Dragons best throughout the game, combining with halves partner Ben Hunt to deliver a high-quality kicking performance and ensure St George Illawarra were able to secure good field possession throughout the match.

A topsy-turvy match, neither side was able to claim the ascendancy for an extended period of time.

No team was able to land consecutive blows, with the lead changing hands five times before the Knights levelled the scores thanks to a Kalyn Ponga penalty goal in the 63rd minute.

The two points came in controversial circumstances, with Tariq Sims penalised for a late hit on Knights halfback Mitchell Pearce.

The incident sparked a melee, with replays later showing David Klemmer landing a punch on Sims' chin. Missed by referees, Klemmer remained on the field and avoided the sin bin.

After leading 10-8 at the break, the two points were Newcastle's only points in the second half, with the Dragons taking the lead in the 55th minute courtesy of a Mikaele Ravalawa try. Latching on to a Matt Dufty cutout pass, Ravalawa beat Edrick Lee to cross in the corner.

The win, the Dragons second of the season, was a costly one, with Korbin Sims suffering a suspected broken arm in just his second match in the Red V. Remarkably, Sims played 15 minutes of the first half with the injury.

The Dragons went into the sheds trailing by two points after a fairly balanced first half.

Read more: Why Gareth Widdop can still shoulder Dragons' NRL title hopes

Both sides were able to move the ball freely, working their way up and down the field.

Tim Lafai opened the scoring for St George Illawarra with a seventh minute penalty goal, however it would be the Knights who would cross for the first try of the game, courtesy of Lee, who latched on to a brilliant Kalyn Ponga cutout pass.

Ponga was among the Knights best throughout the match, looking dangerous each time he touched the ball, especially down Newcastle's left attacking flank.

Making his return from a lacerated testicle, Tyson Frizell was injected into the match in the 24th minute and it did not take long for the representative forward to make an immediate impact, making a barnstorming run with his first carry before stripping Mitchell Pearce to stroll over for a try just seconds later.

The Dragons right edge troubles continued in the 29th minute, however, with Ponga finding Hymel Hunt to take advantage of a couple of poor defensive reads and hand his side the lead 10-8.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...rs-to-hand-dragons-thrilling-victory/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons win golden point thriller 13-12 over Newcastle Knights
  • Local Sport

• r0_165_3237_1985_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

• Photos | NRL 2019 Knights vs Dragons
    Pictures: Darren Pateman/AAP Image
    Corey Norman has produced his second match-winning field goal in consecutive weeks as St George Illawarra won a golden point thriller in Newcastle against the Knights on Sunday night.

The Dragons and the Knights finished at 12-all at the end of regulation time, with Norman piloting a 40-metre field goal with two minutes to go in extra-time to score St George Illawarra's second win in a row.

It was only the second time three NRL games had gone to golden point extra-time in the same round, the previous occasion coming in round 22, 2007.

The win saw the Dragons retain the Alex McKinnon Cup as the red V continued their impressive run against the Knights. St George Illawarra have now won 17 of their last 20 matches in Newcastle and 21 of 27 against the Knights.

BUT HE DOESN'T MISS THIS ONE! #NRLKnightsDragons#TelstraPremiershippic.twitter.com/1OeMxetUeL

— NRL (@NRL) April 7, 2019
    Tyson Frizell was immense for the Dragons on his return from a lacerated testicle, with the representative forward dominating through the middle of the field despite missing the last two rounds with the painful injury.

St George Illawarra were the better side though Newcastle had a number of chances to win the game. But it was the Dragons who took their opportunity, with Norman potting a sweet strike from distance for the second week in a row after his effort against the Broncos in Brisbane.

The Dragons were brave in victory over the much-hyped Knights, with St George Illawarra losing Korbin Sims and Jacob Host to injury having already been without captain Gareth Widdop and Jack de Belin,

WHAT A BALL FROM KP :sunglasses:#NRLKnightsDragons 6-2#TelstraPremiershippic.twitter.com/YQcHTtYgWM

The Dragons took an early lead through a Tim Lafai penalty goal before the Knights hit back through Edrick Lee. A Tim Glasby offload allowed Kalyn Ponga to throw a 20m cutout pass for Lee to score in the corner.

The Dragons had a try disallowed as James Graham was ruled to have knocked on before Frizell made an immediate impact from the bench.

ONE-ON-ONE, Tyson Frizell steals the ball :scream:#NRLKnightsDragons#TelstraPremiershippic.twitter.com/pWz9UgpiVZ

Knights halfback Mitchell Pearce fielded a Dragons kick in front of his own posts, only for Frizell to chase through and steal the ball one on one before strolling over to score.

But Newcastle would take a 10-8 lead to half-time with Ponga again the architect. The young fullback got on the outside of Host as Euan Aitken produced a poor defensive read to allow Hymel Hunt to cross.

Korbin Sims left the field at half-time and didn't return with a suspected broken arm. It was a brave effort from the back-rower who played for more than 20 minutes with the injury while continuing to make tackles and run the ball.

The Ponga Pogo is too deadly! :fire:#NRLKnightsDragons#TelstraPremiershippic.twitter.com/3h37n4kJmd

St George Illawarra were unlucky to have a Jordan Pereira try disallowed early in the second half as Norman's pass was questionably ruled forward. But the Dragons did take back the lead 15 minutes after the break with a superb Matt Dufty cutout pass allowing Mikaele Ravalawa to score in the corner.

Ponga leveled the scores at 12-all with 15 minutes remaining with a penalty goal after Tariq Sims was penalised for a late tackle on Pearce.

Pearce had a field goal attempt charged down with seven minutes to play and put another shot wide in the 77th minute - and another from almost halfway right on full-time.

Ravalawa only has eyes for the line :eyes:#NRLKnightsDragons#TelstraPremiershippic.twitter.com/CkD9rVn3m7

Norman had a chance with one minute left but put the ball wide. But the effort was to be a sighter as Norman produced the match-winner in extra-time.

The Dragons return to Kogarah to host local rivals Canterbury on Sunday looking to make it three wins in a row.

Leader Scoreboard

St George Illawarra Dragons 13 (Tyson Frizell, Mikaele Ravalawa tries. Tim Lafai two goals. Corey Norman field goal)

defeated

Newcastle Knights 12 (Edrick Lee, Hymel Hunt tries. Kalyn Ponga two goals)

at McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Leader man of the match: Tyson Frizell (Dragons)

Dragons' next three: Bulldogs (home - Kogarah), Sea Eagles (home - Wollongong), Roosters (away)
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...-point-thriller-over-knights/?cs=1633#slide=1

Frank Facer

First Grade
I found McGregors game preview interesting (hard to say with any interview from him but) that Lafai will do the goal kicking, however, when Lomax comes on he will take over gk duties.

2 things here:

1. Does that mean Lomax will be getting more than 10 mins?
2. If thats the case why not start him in the first place?

The great mystery.
Lomax got more than 10 minutes because the game went to golden point.

I agree, he should be starting over Aitken

Frank Facer

First Grade
It ain’t no mystery -

just his professionally unhealthy (and absolute) commitment to Turnstile as his handpicked protege .... come what may

As with his other obsession McCrone, he stuck by him for his final 24.5 rounds - despite universal pressure on all fronts.

So buckle up for a long wait

Zac won’t be starting at #3 unless there’s a hammy off the bone - and I guarantee he’d drop Zac for a returning Turnstile even then.

To find a way of justifying his reinstatement of him for Rd 1 over Zac would’ve been an off-season project for Waterboy

And sticking Zac on the wing & out of position in the trials worked a treat
The fact that Mary started with Aitken right centre in both our trials showed that he had him penciled in for round 1.

Gareth67

First Grade
Wholehearted effort from the Dragons that enabled them to match strides with the Knights and ultimately give them the field position that enabled Norman to put the ball over the posts . Well done fellas , keep the good work up and you will climb higher on the ladder week by week . :innocent:

Glenn012

Juniors
The win is a relief more than anyone else. Minus a few bad calls, most notably Normans "forward" pass, a few simple errors, maybe a lack of patience in general and poor Euan being forced to mark the oppositions invisible man, and we win that game by 20-30 points. We were so much better than them for most of the game.

Red V for life

Juniors
Had a lot of chest padding on undernearh his jersey so I suspect he is already damaged goods
Dunno if anyone saw it in the pre-game footage from the change rooms, but he was icing the back of his neck up to kick-off.

It was supposedly pretty balmy in Newcastle yesterday so maybe he was trying to cool down, but at the time I thought it wasn’t a good look.

Water11

Juniors
As ecstatic as I was regarding the WIN, I am aghast at how good we actually should be if we actually had a quality coach. Friggen hell!! The players are here. Just not the quality team performances due to the morons juvenile instructions.

Damn!! That’s the frustrating thing right now. Argh!!!!

kit66

Bench
I don't know why Mary persists with carrying a back on the bench in case of injury to a starting back. Injury to a back is rare and plenty of forwards can move to centre if needs be. He should just go for 4 forwards because that's how he uses them anyway, throwing the likes of Mann and Lomax into lock for 7 minutes when he could be giving blokes like Graham, Vaughan and Friz a longer rest. He could even use that 4th bench spot to blood the younger forwards in Jackson Ford, Timm, Hayden Lomax, Kerr, we might need those guys sooner than we think, might as well give them a taste of 1sts now.

We need one big forward, I hope we're still looking at that. I don't know why we didn't go after Paulo last year, he was obviously value for money.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I don't know why Mary persists with carrying a back on the bench in case of injury to a starting back. Injury to a back is rare and plenty of forwards can move to centre if needs be. He should just go for 4 forwards because that's how he uses them anyway, throwing the likes of Mann and Lomax into lock for 7 minutes when he could be giving blokes like Graham, Vaughan and Friz a longer rest. He could even use that 4th bench spot to blood the younger forwards in Jackson Ford, Timm, Hayden Lomax, Kerr, we might need those guys sooner than we think, might as well give them a taste of 1sts now.

We need one big forward, I hope we're still looking at that. I don't know why we didn't go after Paulo last year, he was obviously value for money.
We have been offered Alex Glenn from Brisbane next year according to a few rumour floating around. He's a good player