What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merrin wants back

I disagree with the Hunt hiding thing. Our left side is our go to attacking side especially when we dont have field position and it is clear Normie left / Hunt right side and the 1 out game plan made it look that way until they went to their go to plan left side attack. Hunts game plan for that game was to kick to corners etc and manage our sets mostly. Norman is better at the cute stuff but Hunt also tried 1 chip and chase I think that nearly come off and caught them napping but Dufty could not gather it in. It was somewhat of a surprise attack and nearly come off.
Hunt is more of a damaging runner at the line than Norman and we will see how he goes against the Dogs and hopefully gets or calls the ball and takes them on. Hunt certainly did not hide in defence, he made some good tackles against Newy. Dennis just the way I saw it.
I guess my point is that if in fact he is the chief playmaker ( I don't know any more) why is he not more involved?
Played very well against the Broncs where he had a point to prove so we know what he's capable of.
Why can't he reproduce that form every week?
If his running game is his strong suit then he is not using it.
Our kicking game is only middle of the road and that often puts us under pressure when it comes to field position.
No Jamie Soward in this team.
There is a bit more to Norman than meets the eye.

BLM01

First Grade
I guess my point is that if in fact he is the chief playmaker ( I don't know any more) why is he not more involved?
Played very well against the Broncs where he had a point to prove so we know what he's capable of.
Why can't he reproduce that form every week?
If his running game is his strong suit then he is not using it.
Our kicking game is only middle of the road and that often puts us under pressure when it comes to field position.
No Jamie Soward in this team.
There is a bit more to Norman than meets the eye.
I believe the coach's game plan has a lot to do with how we play every week. That is his way of mixing it up noting Ben Hunt would of been a target by Newcastle with Widdop out like you thought he was to be chief but Mary said No we will fool em. But a left hand side half in our team will always get more ball.
But I dont think being a chief is Hunt's forte. He is better playing 2nd fiddle and just injecting himself just a bit more in surprise attacks. He needs to call more to utilise that running game. Norman handles the glitter and lights better IMO but does not mean Hunt is less valuable

slippery5

Juniors
Yes indeed a good point.
I remember this succinct observation about JDB doing the rounds a couple of years ago and boy what a stink that created.
I think I may have said he often pranced back on side like he had a carrot up his arse and was far too often the last one to get back on side.
That was because he was playing injured & should have been out for 6 weeks to recover.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
That was because he was playing injured & should have been out for 6 weeks to recover.
PLAYING INJURED SEEMS TO BE A FAMILIAR IDEA FOR OUR SUPERCOACH.LIKE PLAYING WITH A BROKEN f**kIN ARM AND SOME IDIOT SAID IT WAS UP TO KORBIN TO PULL HIMSELF OFF ................HALF OF OUR PACK PLAYS INJURED EVERY WEEK JUST LOOK AT BIG RED HES RUNNING ON FUMES ........

possm

Coach
It seems Mary never learns. Season after season he plays his forwards to the point of fatigue instead of rotating them. Host and Graham will play whether injured or not.

Jacob Host has an ankle strain.

If he needs another week or two to fully recover, let’s hope the medical staff take the decision out of the hands of the player

Old Timer

Coach
JDB hurts people when he tackles.. merrin is as soft as muffin, and looks like one too..
We weren’t talking about who hurts who we are talking about busting your arse to get back into the line and JDB is often very slow to do so.
Have a look at some old games and you will see on many occasions he takes 2 rucks before you see him trotting back into position.

slippery5

Juniors
Jacob Host has an ankle strain.

If he needs another week or two to fully recover, let’s hope the medical staff take the decision out of the hands of the player
If they did that they would sit out Latimore, with what looks like a medial strain, he was notably bending it trying to warm it up at 1/2 time befor he took the field. But then again he has no lateral movement anyway, so having that injury wouldn't do jack sh_t to his game.

Glenn012

Juniors
Good player but we don't need him. If Dufty stops dropping bombs on a regular basis and Aitken no longer has to mark the oppositions invisible man, we don't have any weakness. Better to get a someone on the cheap and front-load someones contract.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons deny interest in Trent Merrin
  • National Sport News
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

St George Illawarra are denying they are interested in Leeds forward Trent Merrin.
    St George Illawarra insist no contact has been made with Trent Merrin as they hold off on a possible replacement for Jack de Belin until next week.

Merrin was heavily linked with an NRL comeback on Monday after being granted permission by Leeds to return to Australia due to a family bereavement.

The 29-year-old left the NRL late last year after being granted a release from the final two years of his deal at Penrith to sign a four-year contract in England.

Speculation of a return began in March when it emerged the Dragons could apply for a salary cap exemption due to the code's new no-fault stand-down policy.

Merrin arrived in the Super League on marquee billing, however he has failed to prevent the Rhinos from a disastrous start to the new season.

Leeds are currently in last spot with just two wins from 10 matches.

It is understood the Dragons will earnestly begin their search for a replacement once de Belin's fight against the NRL's new policy is over next week.

The final hearing is due back in Federal Court on April 16.

Former Panthers teammate Reagan Campbell-Gillard said he had spoken to Merrin, who insisted all the chatter was mere speculation.

However the Penrith prop revealed Merrin was reluctant to leave the NRL and only took up the offer because of the security of the long-term deal.

"Obviously he was trying to get another club here to pick him up but that offer from Leeds was obviously something couldn't turn down," Campbell-Gillard said.

"It's a different lifestyle. He probably didn't want to do it on those types of terms but rugby league, it's a bloody competition and it's a business.

"It's one of those things you just have to cop and move on from it."

Campbell-Gillard said he had already circled in their date with the Dragons in the hope of going toe-to-toe with his former neighbour.

"I've told him if he does come back I'll be going for his head," he said.

"Round 18, I think. I've got some close friends at the Dragons as well. I know that exactly. Friday night, 7:30pm, out here.

"It's one of those games you want to get up for against really good mates and former teammates. That one is definitely pencilled in in the diary."

Australian Associated Press

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6008820/dragons-deny-interest-in-trent-merrin/?cs=14238

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Why is it that this Merrin thing has me thinking about that old Jackson 5 song "I want you back", with a just a few lyric changes. It goes like this:

Oh, Dragons give me one more chance (show you that I love you)
Wont you please let me (back in your club)
Oh Dragons I was blind to let you go (let you go Dragons)
But now since I see you need a new prop (you want me back)
Yes you do now (you want me back)
Ooh ooh Dragons (you want me back)
ya ya ya ya (you want me back)
na na na na (you want me back

But seriously, if he were to come back its prop only none of this lock or edge bollocks, he is a prop only and may provide a better forward drive than Latimore.

Option 1: No JDB or K Sims
8 Graham
10 Vaughan
11. Host
12. T. Sims
13 Friz
14. Lawrie
15. Merrin
16. Leilua/Robson

Option 2: With JDB and K. Sims
8. Graham
10. Vaughan
11. Friz
12. T Sims
13. JDB
14. Lawrie
15. Merrin
16. Host
17. K. Sims

My guess is that this will be Graham's final year, so next year opens up a possibility for Kerr or even young Timm to impress.

WepnutV

Juniors
We weren’t talking about who hurts who we are talking about busting your arse to get back into the line and JDB is often very slow to do so.
Have a look at some old games and you will see on many occasions he takes 2 rucks before you see him trotting back into position.
merrin probably takes his time just as much if not more often, differnce is JDB busts his ass in the actuall tackle thats STOPS PEOPLE in there tracks with tackles that HURT= less meters gained and slower play the ball giveing the entire line of defence more time to set up.... merrin is a jersey grabber that is almost useless in defence even if he does get onside quicker than JDB..

grouch

First Grade
merrin probably takes his time just as much if not more often, differnce is JDB busts his ass in the actuall tackle thats STOPS PEOPLE in there tracks with tackles that HURT= less meters gained and slower play the ball giveing the entire line of defence more time to set up.... merrin is a jersey grabber that is almost useless in defence even if he does get onside quicker than JDB..
Merrin doesn't get charged with aggravated sexual assault either, so...

denis preston

First Grade
All depends on the cost.If it is anywhere near 700k than shit no. 3 years at 400- 500k a year is the max i'd be offering.