What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 vs Bulldogs

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The Dogs will be buggered after that torrid game. If Lomax is at 3 and if we have a four forward bench - Robson at 14, we should win and at the same time, take a big step towards avoiding fatigue among our forwards.

Don't think that will save us Possm- we played golden point with only 16 (possibly 15- not sure about Host) fit players. It will be a contest between the tactics of the coaches and I know who I've got my money on.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
I agree Tru...we beat the Donkeys away and the Knights away....admittedly both in golden point....if you look at our roster compared with theirs and at home we should win.....and besides we need to restore some pride to the faithful and Lance instead of the embarrassment we served up last time we met.

The Broncos game was won in normal time. Seconds to spare.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
As for the thread topic.

I have a horrible feeling about this one.

I really hope I'm wrong.

getsmarty

Immortal
r05_preview7_dragons-bulldogs.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Dragons v Bulldogs: Round 5 preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 9 Apr 2019, 09:01 AM

Corey Norman might not be everyone's cup of tea but you can't say he shies away in big moments.

For the second game in a row, Norman wanted the ball in his hands in crunch time, kicking the Dragons to victory with a clutch golden point field goal.

Paul McGregor hopes his team already has the game put to bed well before the 80th minute on Sunday, but the Dragons can forget about an easy ride against the Bulldogs.

The Doggies were oh-so-close to causing a shocking boil-over last week against Melbourne and Dean Pay deserves credit for shaping this team into a competitive outfit.

Match: Dragons v Bulldogs

Round 5 - Sunday 14th April

4:05pm

Home Team

Dragons

10th Position

Away Team

Bulldogs

14th Position

Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Fox League
  • LIVE PASS
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Key match-up
Josh Jackson and Tyson Frizell are different types of backrowers but both are hugely important to their respective teams. Origin incumbent Frizell successfully returned last week after a two-week injury absence, while former Origin rep Jackson is still one of the toughest pound for pound players in the game. Both need to feature prominently on Sunday.

For the Dragons to win
The good thing for McGregor is that he shouldn't have to convince his players about the dangers of underestimating the Dogs after their assertive display against the Storm. If Ben Hunt can play as well as he did against the Broncos in round three the Dragons should be too strong at home.

For the Bulldogs to win
No Kieran Foran and they lost Dylan Napa to an injury after 16 minutes - yet the Doggies soldiered on and still nearly upset the Storm. They can't afford a mental let-down on Sunday against a team that has built confidence over the past fortnight. They need to defend as well as they did against Melbourne, especially against the likes of Norman, Hunt and Matt Dufty.

Brett Kimmorley says
Canterbury have shown they can compete again. They were desperately unlucky to get beat by Melbourne last week. Sometimes that can deflate you, at other times it can make you keep pushing ahead. For the Dragons, Corey Norman has found his niche. Before the comp started I felt Corey Norman was the best purchase of the off-season. In the last two weeks he is living up to that. Dragons by 6

Dragons Stat Attack
The Dragons are first in the NRL in decoy runs (216), second in tackle breaks (144) and equal-third in line breaks (16). They also rank second in total kick metres (2,553).

Bulldogs Stat Attack
The Bulldogs are the NRL's top team in completion rate (84%), off-loads (58) and total kick metres (2,661). Kerrod Holland is the league leader for off-loads (17), while Lachlan Lewis is tops in kick metres (1,703) and Will Hopoate is first in runs (83).

And another thing ...
Had to feel for Rhyse Martin after his missed conversion in the dying moments allowed the Storm to escape with an 18-16 round four victory. Martin had been successful with 41 of his 46 previous attempts dating back to last year. Unfortunately for the Dogs he missed a big one last Sunday - and that was after nailing his first two shots from out wide in the first half.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/09/dragons-v-bulldogs-round-5-preview/

getsmarty

Immortal
TripADeal NRL team announcement: Round 5 v Bulldogs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 9 Apr 2019, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 5 clash against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah on Sunday, April 14.

Korbin Sims's broken arm has caused a reshuffle to the Dragons' forward pack, with Jacob Host named on the interchange in Sims's place.

Tyson Frizell will start in the back row and join James Graham and Cameron McInnes as co-captains of the team.

The Dragons will look to make it three wins on the trot following their thrilling golden point victory over the Newcastle Knights in Round 4, against a Bulldogs team who took the undefeated Melbourne Storm to their limit last weekend.

The Dragons Canterbury Cup NSW side will act as a curtain-raiser to this game, and will kick-off at 1:50pm.

NRL squad for Round 5 v Bulldogs

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by SMAI
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham (c) – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell (c) – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Dincel Construction System15. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group
16. Jacob Host – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Mitch Allgood
19. Jai Field
20. Josh Kerr
21. Jonus Pearson

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/09/tripadeal-nrl-team-announcement-round-5-v-bulldogs/

RufusRex

Post Whore
I think if host is ok then Allgood for Leilua
I host bust the Allgood over him and Leilua plays

ALSGI

Bench
I fkn love footy when I have no clue who will win.

That’s good fkn footy.

Dragons by 1.

kit66

Bench
One prop on the bench? Another Mary'ism.

Crazy when we have Kerr, Allgood and Timm. Allgood was one of our best last week against a big Panthers pack, he wouldn't let us down.
Mary will probably play Leilua in the middle, not ideal but I actually wouldn't mind seeing how he handles that. One of JDB's strengths is that he has some ball playing skill and can be used in set plays in the middle or help spread the ball wide. I believe Leilua could fill that roll really well as well as short balls to fellow forwards or Dufty and Hunt. Don't forget Leilua is our heaviest forward at 116 kgs, a short stint in the middle shouldn't trouble him at all, could be a revelation.

Old Timer

Coach
Crazy when we have Kerr, Allgood and Timm. Allgood was one of our best last week against a big Panthers pack, he wouldn't let us down.
Mary will probably play Leilua in the middle, not ideal but I actually wouldn't mind seeing how he handles that. One of JDB's strengths is that he has some ball playing skill and can be used in set plays in the middle or help spread the ball wide. I believe Leilua could fill that roll really well as well as short balls to fellow forwards or Dufty and Hunt. Don't forget Leilua is our heaviest forward at 116 kgs, a short stint in the middle shouldn't trouble him at all, could be a revelation.
Coach will play Host in the middle and Leilua will come on as the edge. Leilua will get limited time whilst Frizz gets a short spell.
If you go back and have a look at the games thus far you will see Host has already been shifted into the centre a few times this year in some of the defensive patterns.