What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USARL are launching a womens national team

adamkungl

Immortal
Wouldn't a national team need other teams full of players in order to be able to select said national squad.

Start from the top down, hold try-outs.
The strategy has precedent.

Hell, the AFL started a pro womens comp without enough players by scouting other sports, a single team won't be difficult.

Whatwhere

Juniors
Start from the top down, hold try-outs.
The strategy has precedent.

Hell, the AFL started a pro womens comp without enough players by scouting other sports, a single team won't be difficult.

It's not about selecting a squad more the sustainability of the squad. The AFL had teams to select the teams from just not the level of athlete they wanted. There is a difference.

Whatwhere

Juniors
No one complained about Canada at the last World Cup.

How many times have they played since? This sort of thing just screams of the tail wagging the dog to me. Surely it would be better for the USARL to work with its current clubs on strategies to develop women's teams to run alongside their men's teams and in similar competition before trying to implement a strategy that rarely works.

Pulga

Juniors
This is great although very, very late. I've always thought the Ravens were the biggest waste because the USA didn't have a women's team.

The Ravens have played a few touring teams since the WC. I think they were either Police teams or defence force teams.

Top down development has as much merit as starting from the grassroots. Good work.

I have to say that I really dislike them using the Hawks name instead of using their own.

sportas

Juniors
is there a any sort of domestic womans rugby league in the US? or will they be relying on converting rugby union players?

yakstorm

First Grade
The Women's RLWC wasn't even two full years ago, however for those asking the question of 'how many games have they played outside of the WRLWC?' well prior to the tournament they faced the Corrimal Cougars and Queensland Maoris.

They also took part in the Commonwealth Games Nines in Redcliffe in 2018.

Domestically, the following Women's Rugby League matches have taken place in Canada:
  • British Columbia Nines (3 Women's matches played) - May 2018
  • Alberta v British Columbia - June 2018
  • British Columbia Women v NZ Universities - June 2018
  • Canada Selects XIII v NZ Universities - June 2018
  • Ontario Women's Possibles v Probables clash - July 2018
I believe there was also Nines played with Women's teams in Ontario and Alberta and all regions held multiple training days.

Add to that all three regions have added board members (plus the CRLA) responsible for the development of Women's Rugby League and have started recruitment for 2019.

Sure its not huge, but from a team that was formed literally 19 months ago, to say nothing has happened with regards to Women's Rugby League in Canada is false.

adamkungl

Immortal
is there a any sort of domestic womans rugby league in the US? or will they be relying on converting rugby union players?

Top down development means they'll start with a national team, then build some fixtures under for rep sub-national teams (like state of origin or north v south conferences or something), then build under that with national or regional club leagues.

Dakink

Bench
Jump onto rugby league in America podcast, Nate is one of directors for the usarl hawks women's team and goes in depth into it. Episode 95 I thinking is. Use castbox if you haven't used a podcast app before, I find it good.