What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Maroons 2019

Woosh

Head Moderator
Who can Kevvie pick in the centres to avoid having Gagai in there?

Sione?
QLD won their only game last year with Lady Gaga in the centres.
Lady Gaga is a different player when origin comes around.
I wouldn’t be surprise Chambers switches side and play left centre with Morgan/Inglis playing right centre.

Big Pete

Referee
The favoured centre pairing appears to be Greg Inglis and Will Chambers. It remains to be seen whether Greg will be fit for the series and Will's form last year at all levels was a concern. I've yet to see any real improvement from Will either. Not even a switch to the left hand side has done much for his game. It is a concern and maybe an indicator that father time has caught up to him.

The concern for Queensland is that there isn't a lot in the way of future prospects. Neither Brenko Lee, Phillip Sami or Tautau Moga can make first grade at the moment, and the Under 20s prospects still seem a good two-three years away from being genuine options.

isaiah

Bench
There's a real concern at fullback with neither Kalyn Ponga or Greg Inglis playing in the position for their club side. If Ponga is selected, I believe he'd be able to slot in just fine but given Greg's interrupted pre-season it would be real long odds for him to play there for Queensland. If he's fit, I'd imagine he'll play in the centres and Bennett may have done Queensland a solid by putting him and Gagai on the right hand-side and forming that combination.

Cherry-Evans most likely has the 7 sown up after his impressive display at Suncorp in the dead-rubber but he'll have plenty of competition from Michael Morgan. Morgan's kicking game against the Dragons was really impressive, especially in the second half when the game was in the balance.

Christian Welch who came off the bench for Melbourne was very impressive and appears to have gone from strength to strength. Welch has been a member of the Maroons pathways program for a couple of seasons now and must be firming for a debut.

The other stand-out was Nene MacDonald who made a real difference for the Cowboys on the wing. MacDonald's carries were crucial to the Cowboys exit sets and he scored a crucial try on the stroke of half-time which proved a turning point in the game. He's got heavy competition in Oates and Gagai, but if for whatever reason a position opens up, he appears to be a handy alternative. Considering all the reports about his pre-season he was shockingly good on Saturday.

Otherwise I thought the first round was a case of a lot of incumbents putting their hand up. Oates, Kaufusi, Munster, Papalii and McGuire were all fantastic. They put their hands up and while I had question marks over Kaufusi and Munster after their disappointing series, they could turn out to be better for the experience.

Finally, I believe we'll see a change at dummy half. The buzz seems to be that Ben Hunt will play 9 for Queensland like he did for the majority of Game III last year, but if Jake Friend can keep his form, Kevie may opt for the more complete option. Friend was pretty poor for most of 2018, but since the back-end he's picked up his game and he was one of the Roosters best in a frustrating performance by them.
Yes to welsh ahead of ofahengaue and what is your rubbish about Munster last series

isaiah

Bench
Round 3 Wrap

New Eligibles
Korbin Sims - St George Illawarra Dragons - Interchange
Ben Hampton - North Queensland Cowboys - Centre
Jake Clifford - North Queensland Cowboys - Five Eighth
Corey Jensen - North Queensland Cowboys - Interchange
Rhyse Martin - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Lock
Keegan Hipgrave - Gold Coast Titans - Interchange

Positional Changes

Kurt Mann - Fullback
Corey Allan - Wing
Dale Copley - Wing

Stand-Outs
Corey Norman
Korbin Sims
Daly Cherry-Evans
Josh Papalii
Cameron Munster
Felise Kaufusi
Christian Welch
Dane Gagai

Round 4 Wrap

New Eligibles
Karl Lawton - Warriors - Hooker
Ash Taylor - Gold Coast Titans - Halfback

Positional Changes
Matt Gillett - Second Row
AJ Brimson - Interchange
Brendan Elliott - Centre
Jayson Bukuya - Lock
Marion Seve - Centre
Will Chambers - Wing
Kalyn Ponga - Fullback
Tim Glasby - Prop

Stand-Outs
Jarrod Wallace
Jai Arrow
Corey Thompson
Daly Cherry-Evans
Michael Morgan
Mat Scott
Josh McGuire
Marion Seve
Cameron Munster
Rhyse Martin
Kalyn Ponga
Corey Norman
Four rounds and Gillett not outstanding yet?

Big Pete

Referee
Yes to welsh ahead of ofahengaue and what is your rubbish about Munster last series

Both halves were poor in Games I and II. Hunt copped a lot of blame, rightfully so for that kick on tackle three but Munster was just as poor in those games. He's made a good start to 2019 and is in the box-seat to retain his place in 2019 but he's going to have to lift if he wants to remain the #6.

Can you name one performance where Gillett has been a stand-out? His biggest plays this season have been him falling over the line in defeats.

davi

Juniors
If the Maroons are serious about maintaining their standards of on field leadership, I’d say their best option by far would be:

7. Morgan (c)

It was reported in the Courier Mail if Greg Inglis ends up deciding to retire due to injury next week Daly Cherry-Evans will be favored choice as captain. If that happens then it does not matter how well Michael Morgan plays Cherry-Evans will be starting as half-back. Morgan was mentioned as a potential contender for captain and the long shot choice is Cameron Munster.

Whoever is chosen as captain has to be in the starting side. Period.

davi

Juniors
No room for Matt Scott?

Probably not no. I saw him last night and he was ok against the Storm but he wasn't really punching holes through the defence despite his best efforts. Apparently the Cowboys and Scott are at loggerheads too. Cowboys wouldn't mind Scott hanging up the boots at the end of the year but Scott wants to continue and finish up at the end of 2020.

Pedge1971

First Grade
The favoured centre pairing appears to be Greg Inglis and Will Chambers. It remains to be seen whether Greg will be fit for the series and Will's form last year at all levels was a concern. I've yet to see any real improvement from Will either. Not even a switch to the left hand side has done much for his game. It is a concern and maybe an indicator that father time has caught up to him.

The concern for Queensland is that there isn't a lot in the way of future prospects. Neither Brenko Lee, Phillip Sami or Tautau Moga can make first grade at the moment, and the Under 20s prospects still seem a good two-three years away from being genuine options.

Dale Copley. You know it makes sense...

ryan.a87

Juniors
wingers - Edrick Lee and Corey Oats
Centres - Chambers and Gagai.

Who takes captaincy? DCE maybe? Gillet? Scott?

Perth Tiger

Bench
Might be forced to use Morgan in the centres and find another utility for the bench. Norman or Mbye although he is out of form at the moment

Marlins

Juniors
Ponga - Fullback
Gagai & Chambers - Centres
Oates & Boyd - Wingers
Dce & Munster - Halves
Morgan - Bench Utility

davi

Juniors
wingers - Edrick Lee and Corey Oats
Centres - Chambers and Gagai.

Who takes captaincy? DCE maybe? Gillet? Scott?

I doubt Matt Scott makes the team let alone is given the captaincy. Scott is no longer even captain for the Cowboys. Scott makes no sense and Queensland would be looking for a long term captain that takes over the rein for the next couple of years. I've haven't seen Matt Gillett name mentioned in the reports.

If the captaincy is given to Daly Cherry-Evans then Queensland would have to lock him in at the half back position for the next couple years. That might make some bristle who could like the flexibility of chopping and changing the half-back spot. Paul Gallan and Boyd Cordner at times have had their position in the NSW team protected because of the captaincy despite criticism of their selection at times during their careers.

It was reported in the Courier Mail Kevin Walters is mulling three candidates for captain. Daly Cherry-Evans, Michael Morgan, and Jake Friend. They suggest in the article it most likely will be Cherry-Evans.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I doubt Matt Scott makes the team let alone is given the captaincy. Scott is no longer even captain for the Cowboys. Scott makes no sense and Queensland would be looking for a long term captain that takes over the rein for the next couple of years. I've haven't seen Matt Gillett name mentioned in the reports.

If the captaincy is given to Daly Cherry-Evans then Queensland would have to lock him in at the half back position for the next couple years. That might make some bristle who could like the flexibility of chopping and changing the half-back spot. Paul Gallan and Boyd Cordner at times have had their position in the NSW team protected because of the captaincy despite criticism of their selection at times during their careers.

It was reported in the Courier Mail Kevin Walters is mulling three candidates for captain. Daly Cherry-Evans, Michael Morgan, and Jake Friend. They suggest in the article it most likely will be Cherry-Evans.

Queensland just don't get origin. Where's the loyalty????