What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest upsets of all time?

Tigers vs Broncos 2006 - Brisbane would go on to win the premiership about 2 months later whilst our defence had completely died in the ass. With the majority of our first team out the kids had to step up, most notably a 17 year old Chris Lawrence burning Shaun Berrigan down the sideline to open the scoring. I don't think I've met a Tigers fan going back that far who doesn't remember that try.

Hutty1986

Immortal
State of Origin 1 2014 ranks highly for me

It was the 100th game, it was in Brisbane, the Maroons had won 8 straight, NSW were ridiculed and taunted by QLD media and Wally, NSW born Billy Moore revved the crowd up before the game, the Maroons all got a touch of Artie's jersey and it was the last thing they saw before they ran out onto the field. It all pointed to another story of Maroon magic but the Blues would defy everybody with one of the most courageous, gutsy and bravest efforts of pain and strength ever seen in Origin to pull of a truly thrilling victory in a superb battle.

St George's charge through 1996 hasn't been mentioned yet so I'll add that in
One of the absolute greatest defensive efforts in origin history, and Haynesy with one of the all time great origin performances too. The refs tried their best to give the arrogant qlderps a late win, but we held on against all odds. Game 2 nsw defended incredibly well too.

firechild

First Grade
After back to back grand final appearances, St George went down 61-0 to Manly in 1994 at Brookvale Oval.

Speaking of Featherstone, the 1983 Challenge Cup Final win over Hull takes some beating (great try by Hobbs), although Sheffield over Wigan 1998 for the same title probably tops it.

That game consolidated my love for the Steelers. I was at the age where you choose your team, and I almost followed my older brother into supporting the tigers.

I had the game recorded on a VHS that I wore out. Dean Schiffiliti tore the sharks apart, and we had Andy Gregory and Steve Hampson (I think that was his name), our two English imports who had just arrived, watching from the stands.

Not the Cronulla game but here's the final against Brisbane I found. If you can revive that VHS tape or know where I could find the semi I'd love to watch it again.

And the Show intro shows a memorable quote from my childhood from teh Dragons win vs Tigers the year before - "Intercept! Away goes Gordon!".. To the tune of the best Rugby League Theme music!

SBD82

Coach
Cheers mate. That’s awesome.

I’m afraid that VHS is long gone. I’d love to watch it again, but I haven’t been able to figure out a way to do so.

King hit

Coach
I watched that game at Grenfell Bowling Club. Not game to open my mouth. The Western Division side did tackle well. The Panthers weren't exactly a topline Sydney side.

Did you see any of Western Division’s other games in 1974? It truly is one of the greatest stories I’ve come across in any sport. Penrith actually did beat the high flying Roosters in the semi final so they earned their spot.

Aye, what a night that was. Especially at the end when the refs were blowing penalty after penalty doing everything to give Qld the fairytale last gasp win. If I watch the last 10 minutes of that game I still get nervous watching it. Awesome defensive effort from the Blues that night.

And the arrogant pricks had the hide to blame the referee for being beaten despite everything went their way

Mr Spock!

Referee
Did you see any of Western Division’s other games in 1974? It truly is one of the greatest stories I’ve come across in any sport. Penrith actually did beat the high flying Roosters in the semi final so they earned their spot.

And the arrogant pricks had the hide to blame the referee for being beaten despite everything went their way
Actually the country sides did well that year.

Northern and Southern Division beat Canterbury and North Sydney.

gordynz

Juniors
My favourites have to be a hint of NZ upsetting the big brother. I've got the below games all recorded and tend to scroll through them a couple of times a year!

2008 Week 1 Finals - Warriors 18 - 15 Storm
2008 RLWC Final - NZ 34 - 20 AUS (Cheers Billy)
2010 Four Nations Final - NZ 16 - 12 AUS (Cheers Touchie/Ref)
2011 Preliminary Final - Warriors 20 - 12 Storm

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
My favourites have to be a hint of NZ upsetting the big brother. I've got the below games all recorded and tend to scroll through them a couple of times a year!

2008 Week 1 Finals - Warriors 18 - 15 Storm
2008 RLWC Final - NZ 34 - 20 AUS (Cheers Billy)
2010 Four Nations Final - NZ 16 - 12 AUS (Cheers Touchie/Ref)
2011 Preliminary Final - Warriors 20 - 12 Storm
I just finished reading about those in slaters book during my lunch

Latest posts