What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters

age.s

First Grade
Why should tolerance extend to tolerating intolerance?

This isn't about being intolerant of religion. It's about being intolerant of homophobia. Religion is an outdated concept that is utterly irrelevant in the modern world, but I do not begrudge anyone faith. I grew up Catholic.

What I do begrudge is homophobia, and bigotry in general. And honestly any religion or other organisation that has tenets based in homophobia deserves to be consigned to the past where it belongs.

So what are you going to do about it and where do you stop? Destroy his career? Restrict his ability to function in society? Lock him up? Inflict violence on him? Who decides what kind of wrongthink deserves to be meted with such justice.

Look I agree that homophobia pretty crap and I'm not going to argue with your sentiments, but there's always going to be backwards douchebags and there's such a thing as being a cure worse than a disease. Not hard to see it going in that direction and people who campaign hardest for repressing certain views never seem to acknowledge it.

T-Boon

Coach
God who cares. Let them be gay. Let Israel be a backwards douche. Let us laugh at him.

For a supposed tolerant society we sure do have a problem with wrongthink.

We've got to speak out against it man so people conform.

Bazal

Post Whore
So what are you going to do about it and where do you stop? Destroy his career? Restrict his ability to function in society? Lock him up? Inflict violence on him? Who decides what kind of wrongthink deserves to be meted with such justice.

Look I agree that homophobia pretty crap and I'm not going to argue with your sentiments, but there's always going to be backwards douchebags and there's such a thing as being a cure worse than a disease. Not hard to see it going in that direction and people who campaign hardest for repressing certain views never seem to acknowledge it.

But it's not about "wrongthink" or whatever made up political jargon you choose to apply.

Ultimately it's about him breaking the ARU code of conduct. And it's about him being a public figure and making harmful statements that will impact his image and most importantly the image of his employer.

We're not talking about /u/BlackPillIncelBoy and his hate filled rubbish posted on Reddit from his mothers basement. We're talking about a high profile sporting figure. Of course it's different.

T-Boon

Coach
But it's not about "wrongthink" or whatever made up political jargon you choose to apply.

Ultimately it's about him breaking the ARU code of conduct. And it's about him being a public figure and making harmful statements that will impact his image and most importantly the image of his employer.

We're not talking about /u/BlackPillIncelBoy and his hate filled rubbish posted on Reddit from his mothers basement. We're talking about a high profile sporting figure. Of course it's different.

This is a man who loves a good lynch mob.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade

I'm not saying the ARU are in the wrong. At the end of the day they have to operate in the broader cultural context. Next to no big corps are interested in taking a controversial stance, particularly not a steadily failing football code.

My comments are more around the broader outrage about it. Devout Christians think it's a sin. I think that's stupid. Why does it need to go further? Acting like the appropriate response is some sort of crusade against them is a shitty idea.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
God who cares. Let them be gay. Let Israel be a backwards douche. Let us laugh at him.

For a supposed tolerant society we sure do have a problem with wrongthink.
This dumb bullshit every time these situations happen is pathetic.

"Wrongthink" isn't a thing. Think what you want, and yes - even say what you want. Simply put, that doesn't come without consequences. Folau's now reaping the consequences.

And he's hardly "letting them be gay" if he's suggesting they be condemned to hell.

age.s

First Grade
And he's hardly "letting them be gay" if he's suggesting they be condemned to hell.

What do you care? You clearly believe that's stupid. I agree fwiw.

He's not suggesting we lynch them or anything psycho like that.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm not saying the ARU are in the wrong. At the end of the day they have to operate in the broader cultural context. Next to no big corps are interested in taking a controversial stance, particularly not a steadily failing football code.

My comments are more around the broader outrage about it. Devout Christians think it's a sin. I think that's stupid. Why does it need to go further? Acting like the appropriate response is some sort of crusade against them is a shitty idea.

Has anyone seriously suggested a "crusade"

Mostly you'll find people are actually just calling Folau a bigot. Which he is. The religious stuff always seems to come from religious people defending the bigots, and it has here too.

Timmah

Staff member

What crusade? I think you're manufacturing this in your head.

People disagree with him, and are saying so, as they are entitled to do.

His employer has terminated his employment because he violated their code of conduct on more than one occasion.

age.s

First Grade
Has anyone seriously suggested a "crusade"

Mostly you'll find people are actually just calling Folau a bigot. Which he is. The religious stuff always seems to come from religious people defending the bigots, and it has here too.

Plenty of people call for the state to step in and punish people like him when shit like this happens. I don't trust those peripheral to the mob to do anything but let it happen.

I'm just saying don't go down that road. If you agree then fine.

Bazal

Post Whore
Plenty of people call for the state to step in and punish people like him when shit like this happens. I don't trust those peripheral to the mob to do anything but let it happen.

I'm just saying don't go down that road. If you agree then fine.

I've not seen anyone do that here and I think that would be a dumb idea.

I think the appropriate punishment is exactly what's happening here. Shame the bigots as a society.

Timmah

Staff member
What do you care? You clearly believe that's stupid. I agree fwiw.

He's not suggesting we lynch them or anything psycho like that.
I'm confused. Izzy is allowed to sprout whatever he wants, but I'm not allowed to care?

Make up your mind who gets free speech, please.

As for why should people care as a more general question, it's because turning a blind eye to the type of discrimination Folau has put out there causes harm.

As @Bazal has very clearly and correctly pointed out, he's not someone in the dark corners of the internet, he's an international sporting star with a significant audience and his words do have the potential to cause a lot of harm.

As for your hyperbole about lynching, maybe leave that shit out of this discussion if you want to be taken seriously.

Timmah

Staff member
I'd be interested to see examples of this. Haven't seen it here on LU, nor on social media, at all.

And I doubt anyone supports such action either.

Shark62

Juniors
I'd be interested to see examples of this. Haven't seen it here on LU, nor on social media, at all.

For a so called god fearing man Folau lacks any compassion for :flag_white:️‍:rainbow: people. He knows exactly what he’s doing and he must know it harms others. I have no tolerance for such outdated bigotry. He flouts the wishes of his employer. He harms young :flag_white:️‍:rainbow: people of his own community.
The timing of his post was not accidental.
For that he loses one job and he’ll get another. It’s not much of a punishment. He’ll survive. Let’s just hope he becomes a better person.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If we’re going back to ancient times can we bring back cruscifixations of bigoted Christians? It will get the crowds to anz better than nrl does!

isaiah

Bench
Has anyone put two and two together yet. Facts are barba sacked by cowboys, they keep salary cap space free in case Val Holmes misses the nfl.he gets his nfl contract and two days later Folau dares the qantas backed wallabies to sack him. What do you suppose may happen next?

Latest posts