What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam - Remembering the great people of our great game.

Hi All,

Posting a thread with the intention of providing a place to pay tribute to the memories of those who've played a great part in the game we all love. The Players, Officials, Clubmen, Managers, Die-hard fans and the like who have passed. In many games we see teams wearing black armbands which sometimes go unnoticed or unrecognized. For mine it would be great to know who the club is paying respect to, and perhaps a bit about their story. And also the great people of our game who may have passed long ago for those of us who love a bit of nostalgia.

Some we may all know of. Some we may not. But all deserve a place to be remembered and respected.

I'd urge that all posts in this thread are written with the greatest of respect. There's great banter in here and plenty of "robust discussions" but I'd hope these can be kept in other threads.

So I'll kick off...

Peter Armstrong.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/11/vale-peter-armstrong/

The St George Illawarra Dragons are deeply saddened by the passing of former Dragon Peter Armstrong.

Featuring in over 100 grade games across six seasons (1957-1964) at the Dragons, the Marist Brothers Kogarah junior Armstrong overcame a fractured neck vertebra to forge a successful career in the Red V.

Following in the footsteps of club legend Ken Kearney at hooker, Armstrong was a member of the Dragons' 1961 and 1964 premiership-winning teams against Western Suburbs and Balmain respectively.

A further two reserve grade premierships in 1962 and 1963 rounded out Armstrong's contribution to the Dragons' era of 11-straight first grade premierships – a period of the like that will never be repeated.

One final season with the Newtown Bluebags in 1965 rounded out his playing career.

The Dragons will wear black armbands on Sunday afternoon as tribute to Armstrong when the Red V faces the Bulldogs at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah.

T-Boon

Coach
And also the great people of our game who may have passed long ago for those of us who love a bit of nostalgia.

Victor Trumper:
I was looking up Dally Messenger the other day and came across information that the great man Victor Trumper was a big mover and shaker in the creation of the NSWRL in 1908. He may have been responsible in part for the formation of the League. Apart from being a legendary cricketer he was also a very good Rugby Footballer.
He died aged 37 many years ago, making him eligible for this thread.

The great Steve Rogers.
To many of us Sharks fans he was the one who brought our heart to the club.
Even when he had his two injury plagued seasons at the Saints I would go to Jubilee just to watch my hero play, it didn’t matter if it was 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade, I’d be there to watch the greatest play.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Peter Jackson was one that stood out for me..

I enjoyed watching him play, and found him an absolute cracker when he went into the media..

He just looked like he was always happy, either on the field or off it..

When he died I was shocked. It really highlighted how someone who looks okay on the outside could actually be going through hell on the inside..

Pedge1971

First Grade
The great Steve Rogers.
To many of us Sharks fans he was the one who brought our heart to the club.
Even when he had his two injury plagued seasons at the Saints I would go to Jubilee just to watch my hero play, it didn’t matter if it was 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade, I’d be there to watch the greatest play.

Not a Sharks fan but Sludge Rogers was a big reason I grew to love rugby league. Absolute legend. Tragic he is no longer with us.

I enjoyed watching him play, and found him an absolute cracker when he went into the media..

When he died I was shocked. It really highlighted how someone who looks okay on the outside could actually be going through hell on the inside..

So very true.

When he died I was in utter shock that such a loveable, affable fella could be, in reality, so tormented.

axl rose

Bench

He was really a natural in the media. Jacko, Big Artie and Boland on the ABC. Think the opposite of every Ch 9 'personality' now. Was a fine club player but give him a QLD jersey and he just went to another level.

Last edited:

Incorrect

Coach

I remember he used to do a regular spot on the midday show that KerriAnne used to host... Must have been when I was at uni and had Friday's off.... Anyway, I'll never forget one day when he was on, his demeanour and speech, everything, looked completely out of character. I thought maybe he was drunk but in hindsight he may have been wasted.... I thought it was so odd. When his death was reported what was probably a few years later I always thought back to that appearance on the midday show.

Always came across as a great fella and funny to boot...

Greg Pearce he missed the 1978 Grand Final

https://images.app.goo.gl/LPRp6Dq5VX1rLtR39

9b84de1867067abfd4c3ec90cd7d4f97

That's a pretty iconic photo for Sharks fans - Amco Cup win. Pearce and Rogers - both Sharks legends but also Rugby League Legends.

Great to see stuff like this. May they rest in peace.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

First bloke that came to mind.

I still have quiet moments thinking about losing him. It was 22 years ago and still feels like yesterday.

roofromoz

First Grade
Merv Cartwright.

Former forward, club secretary of Penrith who was instrumental in getting them promoted to the first division in 1967.

The name Cartwright is synonymous with Penrith. Four of his sons (Cliff, David, John and Michael) and one grandson (Bryce) have played first grade, with another in the NRL squad this year (Jed).

Passed away in 2011. The player of the year award is named in his honour.

Willie Ray

Bench
For me...it would be Jack Gibson....the greatest coach ever...
there are so many great lines from him...
To Sterlo at the SCG...'kick it where the seagulls are son'...
when someone pointed to Brett Kenny and said 'who's that guy over there?'...
Jack's reply' well it ain't Robert Redford'...so Brett became 'Bert'.
At a State Of Origin game he was coaching a journo asked 'So Jack,are you nervous?,
Jack's reply...'nope...,I ain't playin'.
when he climbed into bed one night and his wife Judy said 'God your feet are cold'...
Jack replied 'sorry,I'll put on some socks,and stop calling me God'.
Big Jack was Rugby League...
I miss him and the game sure misses him.

Mr Spock!

Referee
For me...it would be Jack Gibson....the greatest coach ever...
there are so many great lines from him...
To Sterlo at the SCG...'kick it where the seagulls are son'...
when someone pointed to Brett Kenny and said 'who's that guy over there?'...
Jack's reply' well it ain't Robert Redford'...so Brett became 'Bert'.
At a State Of Origin game he was coaching a journo asked 'So Jack,are you nervous?,
Jack's reply...'nope...,I ain't playin'.
when he climbed into bed one night and his wife Judy said 'God your feet are cold'...
Jack replied 'sorry,I'll put on some socks,and stop calling me God'.
Big Jack was Rugby League...
I miss him and the game sure misses him.
We really need a jack Gibson now.

An innovator to bring the game alive again.

Mr Spock!

Referee
He was really a natural in the media. Jacko, Big Artie and Boland on the ABC. Think the opposite of every Ch 9 'personality' now. Was a fine club player but give him a QLD jersey and he just went to another level.

I met his Mum years ago at an Anglican church synod.

Delightful lady and his loss was a real shame.

Latest posts