What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues in the team

Tiger05

First Grade
I like our squad. I think we now have a decent pack, some decent outside backs and a decent spine. We can compete with most teams in the comp and we don't have any glaring weaknesses.

I still think that we have some issues though:-

1. Fonua. I love the guy because his hit-ups are unreal. He was a big part of getting us going forward at the end of the game the other night and he has been pretty safe. The problem is he is slow and defensively is going to get out plus he can suffer from dropsies at times. I don't know if he should be replaced with Nofo who also has defensive issues.
2. Marsters. One of the most frustrating tigers players. He always looks likely to bust the line or set someone up but he also consistently pushes it and comes up with bad plays. His goal kicking is clearly inconsistent.
3. Mbye. I'm not sure if he is injured. I reckon he tries his guts out. We need some zip out of him.

What are your guys thoughts. I think Marsters and Mbye and pretty important players for us who are underperforming but we have to stick with them. Fonua is a tough one. On his performances so far he deserves his spot but he just looks risky.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I like our squad. I think we now have a decent pack, some decent outside backs and a decent spine. We can compete with most teams in the comp and we don't have any glaring weaknesses.

I still think that we have some issues though:-

1. Fonua. I love the guy because his hit-ups are unreal. He was a big part of getting us going forward at the end of the game the other night and he has been pretty safe. The problem is he is slow and defensively is going to get out plus he can suffer from dropsies at times. I don't know if he should be replaced with Nofo who also has defensive issues.
2. Marsters. One of the most frustrating tigers players. He always looks likely to bust the line or set someone up but he also consistently pushes it and comes up with bad plays. His goal kicking is clearly inconsistent.
3. Mbye. I'm not sure if he is injured. I reckon he tries his guts out. We need some zip out of him.

What are your guys thoughts. I think Marsters and Mbye and pretty important players for us who are underperforming but we have to stick with them. Fonua is a tough one. On his performances so far he deserves his spot but he just looks risky.
Our outside backs are average & yes we certainly have issues in positions 1-5.

Marsters isn’t big enough for the forwards & not quick enough for the centres.

Mbye is a major disappointment.Not quick doesn’t play with enough intensity & has to many errors in his game.

Jennings must only play wing where he can b competent.He is an appalling centre.

Fonua is great at carrying the ball back but a liability in other aspects of his game.

Thommo is the diamond amongst the rocks of our 1-5.

Nofa is ordinary.One of the dumbest footballers I’ve ever seen play the game.This gump who isn’t quick is uncoachable & to make matters worse he’s on big $.

Consequently I’ve no doubt Madge will debut at least 1 kid from lower grades who plays in the backs this season.

Tiger05

First Grade
Where did Mbye play (position) at the dogs?

He played hooker, halves and fullback. I think he can come good. I also think he is playing with commitment.

The problem is that we need a lot more from him especially because we have a lot of slow outside backs.

Honestly Mbye coming good and one gun outside back and we would be looking really good.

Shredder

Juniors
I think the areas for improvement are in the outside backs.

I'm hoping with the stack of players we have off contract Madge can put his stamp on the team and make some decent signings.

Im happy with our forwards, happy with our halves and Im happy at fullback.

Desperately need hooker depth and fresh outside back.

Tiger05

First Grade
We need options at 9 don't we. I'm still holding out hope that Liddle is going to be the answer.

Das Hassler

Bench
If Farah can stay on script ...that is to just keep at what Maquire has him doing then there's no reason another season wouldnt be a good thing....right now he's as good and effective as any 80 minute 9 out there ( apart from Smith)...he's as fit as ever and in fact stronger than ever. I wanted him gone because of attitude on and off the field and the ripple effect of all that...seems he's totally in control of himself now.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Fonuas been a lot more solid then last year. I can’t bring Nofa back for him atm. He took a 20m hit up in the set where MCK scored the match winner.

Jennings is the only one that should be under pressure atm. Personally I’d bring Momirovski in for him.

Signing a strike center/winger would make us a top 4 contender IMO

The unknown

Juniors
Our forwards aren't the best but they work as a unit which makes them quality

Wouldn't be jumping the gun to resign Packer and Mats when their contracts expire but the emergence of Aloiai, Twal, Matterson, Garner and Mikaele is good to watch

People bang on about the Brisbane young forwards but ours are probably better

Das Hassler

Bench
Forever a lesson about this game from '05....not one SOO or Aus rep player and the smallest pack in the comp demolished everyone through the finals. ..regardless of the game a team is a machine where the parts have to work in sync....having the best in a position means jack if they're playing for themselves....visionary coaching is No 1

Shredder

Juniors
Ive just looked at the list of whats off contract at other clubs this year. Its not greatly inspiring.

trevcogger

Juniors
Our outside backs are average & yes we certainly have issues in positions 1-5.

Marsters isn’t big enough for the forwards & not quick enough for the centres.

Mbye is a major disappointment.Not quick doesn’t play with enough intensity & has to many errors in his game.

Jennings must only play wing where he can b competent.He is an appalling centre.

Fonua is great at carrying the ball back but a liability in other aspects of his game.

Thommo is the diamond amongst the rocks of our 1-5.

Nofa is ordinary.One of the dumbest footballers I’ve ever seen play the game.This gump who isn’t quick is uncoachable & to make matters worse he’s on big $.

Consequently I’ve no doubt Madge will debut at least 1 kid from lower grades who plays in the backs this season.

Yes we can do better with astute recruiting in 2020.
Mbye is NO fullback.....Go after Gutherson.
Marsters is strong and as he has no speed to outpace his opposite he tries to fend them or palm them off(Snoozer Elford style).
Jennings?????A waste of money and also slow.
We need to sign a speedy winger and a centre.
Mahe tries, but i am always worried when hes under a bomb or dropping the ball on a loose carry.
Forget Nofa........he hasnt learnt to defend still,after many years of being taught.(notice no tries against us lately by our winger running in)

trevcogger

Juniors

Wouldn't be jumping the gun to resign Packer and Mats when their contracts expire but the emergence of Aloiai, Twal, Matterson, Garner and Mikaele is good to watch

Packer and Matalino will probably retire.....
The others we need to keep......Our middle defence is water tight...Penrith only scored because of our outside defence...Seriously,i cant remember us being cut open up the middle for ages...
Andrew Johns said on 9 last night "this tigers pack is the goods" they are relentless"
We have to upgrade Twals contract.........Hes a machine The Twal Doll,and demands big $$$'s and a long contract.

trevcogger

Juniors

Mikaele was very good last night..Was running hard at the small guys and also running at gaps.
Matterson is classy.....My mates a roosters man and he said hes a great pickup for us...So far,so good.
Garners improving....Lawrence might have to play ISP Cup after Chee Kams performance.

Regarding Matalino,Andrew Johns made an observation about Josh Reynolds having to actually push Matalino to run the ball out from the goal line on one occasion.....(Madge did tell Matalino he needs to be more tougher and run harder,so that makes sense) I dont think you would ever want to bludge on Reynolds or you would get a mouthful or a gee up)

Fonua got caught out twice in defence that could of led to tries,fortunately Bird brain dropped the ball on one occasion and JR was awarded a penalty for being taken out on the other,we may not be so lucky next time.For that reason I would promote Mo-ski to centre and move Jennings to wing.
I really like the impact of our bench but agree we need more from Ben Matulino.

trevcogger

Juniors
We need options at 9 don't we. I'm still holding out hope that Liddle is going to be the answer.

Cant fault Farah so far.
Plus he plays 80mins.
Dont hold your breath on Liddle Tiger05.......Nowhere near a 80min player......I have a feeling he will be gone after this year,and we will look at another 80min number 9,depending on what Farah does.....He looks much stronger this year...Madge has him super fit.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Fonua got caught out twice in defence that could of led to tries,fortunately Bird brain dropped the ball on one occasion and JR was awarded a penalty for being taken out on the other,we may not be so lucky next time.For that reason I would promote Mo-ski to centre and move Jennings to wing.
I really like the impact of our bench but agree we need more from Ben Matulino.
We r definitely best served with Jennings on wing & momirovski in centres

Latest posts