What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

assess5

Juniors
Bennett drops hint on Inglis' NRL future

South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett admits "the signs aren't good" for Greg Inglis and is unsure whether his star will return to the NRL.While still hopeful of having him back next retirement three years ago due to a similar issue."It flares up and it goes from bad to good to worse. (It's) unpredictable, all over the shop with it," Bennett said of Inglis' shoulder problems.

https://world-sports-news-today.blo...5Bc2CswnTqvIS77ppyjemQw0e6O18UUZCF0FcPOrmaf6c

Things look very grim for a great footballer, even if surgery helps it might be time to hang up the boots.

RunRabbitRun69

Juniors
'Bit ordinary in defence', geez mate, your a hard taskmaster, what with centre being the most difficult position on the field, for defence.

I'm very happy with Gagai, as is the Qld Soo side.

Let's see what Bennett does, I think, if he's concerned at all, he'll bring a young guy from Qld that nobody's heard of and that'll sort out the centre shortage.
Chill mate, I'm a huge Gagai fan.

Awesome with the ball in hand, quick on his feet, busts a lot of tackles.

That being said, he's prone to missing one on one tackles and making some really poor reads in defence.

On the whole a world class player, but he's not the best defender.

callmack1

Staff member
‘Won’t pick GI’ - Maroons face backline crisis: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...m/news-story/d35dfcd4977ab2715653e565338ebad9

Wayne Bennett offers glimmer of hope for Greg Inglis’ return for Rabbitohs: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/eefe2af8e230455189bdcb071dd79073

This is just heartbreaking. I'm really starting to get the feeling that GI is done and that is super depressing. GI has been my favourite ever since he came to Souths and to think that we have possibly seen him, one of the greatest of all time, our skipper and one of our best players, play his last game is something I'm struggling to deal with. GI deserves so much better then this. The mind is willing but the body is starting to say no.

I'd love nothing more then for him to bounce into training next week and say, "you know what? I'm not done yet, I'm down but I'm not out." That would be awesome! Me as a Souths fan really wants to see that happen. But in this case, GI the human being is more important than the player. If he is not up to it, he needs to put his health first and call it quits as heartbreaking as that will be.

In saying that, if anyone can push on, he can!!!

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle,

Bunnies lining up Inglis replacement?

Greg Inglis’ NRL career hangs in the balance, with the South Sydney superstar set to make a call on his playing future early next week.

Inglis is currently on leave from the Rabbitohs as he battles a shoulder injury as well as fitness problems, with coach Wayne Bennett to meet up with him next week to see if he’s still keen to play on.

The Maroons and Kangaroos star has already confirmed he will retire at the end of the 2020 season, but there’s a possibility that could be brought forward.

If it does, the Bunnies will need to be prepared to replace Inglis, and according to the Courier Mail, Brisbane centre James Roberts could be one of their main targets.

Roberts played for the Bunnies in 2011, in his first season in the NRL.
He’s gone on to play 76 games for the Broncos, with all but three of those being played under Bennett.

Roberts has struggled with form and injury so far this season, and the Bunnies could come calling in the near future if Inglis calls time early.

I think I would take Roberts back in 2020. Yes, he has the off-field stuff but I'm hoping that at a new club, a proud club like us he might see the error of his ways. There's no doubting he is a freakish player and I think over all, I'd be quite excited to have him back.

Pauly1

Juniors
From Zero Tackle,

Greg Inglis’ NRL career hangs in the balance, with the South Sydney superstar set to make a call on his playing future early next week.

Inglis is currently on leave from the Rabbitohs as he battles a shoulder injury as well as fitness problems, with coach Wayne Bennett to meet up with him next week to see if he’s still keen to play on.

The Maroons and Kangaroos star has already confirmed he will retire at the end of the 2020 season, but there’s a possibility that could be brought forward.

If it does, the Bunnies will need to be prepared to replace Inglis, and according to the Courier Mail, Brisbane centre James Roberts could be one of their main targets.

He’s gone on to play 76 games for the Broncos, with all but three of those being played under Bennett.

Roberts has struggled with form and injury so far this season, and the Bunnies could come calling in the near future if Inglis calls time early.

I think I would take Roberts back in 2020. Yes, he has the off-field stuff but I'm hoping that at a new club, a proud club like us he might see the error of his ways. There's no doubting he is a freakish player and I think over all, I'd be quite excited to have him back.

With what money?????????
Inglis will be on Souths books till 2020.

Souths would have to absorb $1.5m in cap if Inglis can't go on

South Sydney would be forced to absorb the remaining $1.5 million of Greg Inglis' contract into their salary cap even if their superstar captain is no longer fit to play.

Speculation about Inglis' immediate playing future remains one of league's hottest topics after he was given time away from the game by Souths to overcome his latest injury.

r0_160_3125_1924_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Greg Inglis' immediate playing future is uncertain. Photo: AAP

Redfern officials and rival players remain confident the 32-year-old will return a giant force in the competition before he retires when his contract expires at the end of 2020.

As a result of of Inglis' long history of injuries there is little chance the NRL would approve any request for a medically enforced retirement, unless there was a fresh injury.

By doing so, Inglis could have been fully compensated and the remainder of his deal, around $1.5 million over the next 18 months, excluded from Souths' cap.

Should Inglis reach the decision himself that he is unable to physically or mentally play on, it is understood Souths will need to include his entire deal in their cap.

Regardless of any settlement being struck between Inglis and the club, the original deal would remain on Souths' books.

Souths are understood to have little chance of applying for cap dispensation, even if Inglis is not playing.

The NRL were mindful of clubs abusing the cap by signing players to long-term - and often heavily back-ended - deals that they were never expected to honour.

If the current rule was not in place, clubs, for example, could include a senior player on their books for little money the first couple of years of a deal. And once that player quit the game mid-deal, he would receive his full payout while the club avoid carrying them on their future cap.

There is no suggestion this was the case with Souths and Inglis. Inglis made the call over the summer to call time on his career at the end of 2020 so he could focus entirely on making his final two years his best.

It is easy to forget what kind of havoc he caused in the opening Origin game for Queensland last season.

He suffered a shoulder injury against St George Illawarra in round two but has had issues with the same left shoulder in the past. His ongoing knee issues, which required attention over the summer, have also been a constant battle through his brilliant career.

Souths officials have become frustrated and almost cagey about the intense Inglis innuendo while his management said the club and coach had already addressed the matter.

Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett said on Tuesday he took one look at Inglis on Monday and gave him the enforced spell, and was prepared to give him longer if that was what he required.

Cronulla's Andrew Fifita has played for Australia and the Indigenous All Stars alongside Inglis and said "one of the icons of the game and future Immortal'" would benefit from a few months away from the game.

Like Inglis, Fifita has struggled with his own mental health and had people questioning his future in the game.

"I think everyone should leave GI be for a bit," Fifita said.

"It's hard when everyone is talking about it, you think he's not listening to the outside noise but you still hear it.

"He has to concentrate on himself and his family.

"I really feel for GI, I know he's one of those people who will bounce back from this. He has a lot of positive people around him and he'll get through it.

"I give it a few more months and he'll be back and flourishing for the Rabbitohs and nobody will even be talking about this. They'll be talking about how GI has run 100m and doing the 'goanna' [celebration] down by the tryline."

When pressed on how difficult it was to meet lofty personal expectations, Fifita said it was difficult to comment on Inglis because he was at a rival club.

"He's with Souths, and that's a better question for someone in his team," Fifita said.

"Personally, I always heard that in the press as well ... how I wasn't playing good enough and I wasn't good enough. The next thing you know I came out the following year and we won the comp [in 2016].

"GI still has this year and next year. He will want to go out with a bang and his teammates will want to put in for him. I wanted to give something back to Mick Ennis and found that drive wanting to send him out with a bang."

assess5

Juniors
Chill mate, I'm a huge Gagai fan.

Awesome with the ball in hand, quick on his feet, busts a lot of tackles.

That being said, he's prone to missing one on one tackles and making some really poor reads in defence.

On the whole a world class player, but he's not the best defender.
Mate I'm so smooth

ThingFish

Juniors
From Zero Tackle,

The Jet is made out of glass. He’s more risk than rescuer.

Travitoh

First Grade
We let him go a couple of years ago for a reason , surely there is somebody else younger and faster

I dare say he'll want more than minimum to move his family back from the UK too.

I suggested Gray as he shouldn't be asking much, won't need to relocate and will add (all be it recently limited) first grade experience to a position that we're suddenly lacking.
Plus i believe wasn't that bad a player when he left us.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I dare say he'll want more than minimum to move his family back from the UK too.

I suggested Gray as he shouldn't be asking much, won't need to relocate and will add (all be it recently limited) first grade experience to a position that we're suddenly lacking.

I agree regarding Gray. He would be a good option as he was just finding form when he left us. He did leave us though because he wanted more money which the sharks could offer. If he was cheap I’d take him back in a heartbeat. We also have young Hiroti. Probably needs more time to develop but he should be a regular first grader in a few years.

callmack1

Staff member
South Sydney Rabbitohs star Greg Inglis expected to announce retirement this week: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/d-day-...t-souths/4d60cbc9-6be6-48fa-a1f2-adfe971cef44

Also, found a couple of articles from another forum.

Weidler:

Greg Inglis is in a tough place, but he has some very good people in his corner.

He is surrounded by people who won’t let him get isolated. He does that when he is struggling. He went several months last year without talking to some of his best mates; the likes of Justin Hodges and Johnathan Thurston.

Inglis has Wayne Bennett and Shane Richardson in his corner as he wrestles with injuries and the prospect of a premature retirement. In the background is Allan Gainey, who has managed Inglis from the start. He treasures him. Richardson checks on Inglis twice a day. Bennett has made him a priority. Along with Phil Gould, Bennett is the best in the game at dealing with player issues.

Hodges is Inglis’ best mate and has been in touch with him during the week. ‘‘Greg is facing the idea that his body might not be able to keep up with what he wants to do,’’ he said. ‘‘My advice to him was that you are a long time retired so you need to take your time with a decision. In a few weeks he may realise that he can go on.
Advertisement

"I can tell you that he was very hurt by all the comments about his weight. No one wants to be singled out like that. I hope to have another chat with him. All I care about is Greg and his wellbeing and I know he will come to the right decision.’’

Bennett and Richardson are men who are looking at Inglis’ life beyond football. They are thinking about the next portion of his life – the most difficult one – when he has to be Greg Inglis father, partner and retired star. They want his body to work. They want him to be healthy – in mind and body.

It’s why Bennett said publicly he is banning pain-killing injections for Inglis. They mask the damage that he is doing to his shoulder. They are also terrible for his health. The long-term use of painkillers is risky. Bennett is taking a stance that should have been taken years ago.

So Inglis has to handle the pain or face the end. He is trying to come to grips with his playing mortality. He knows it and he doesn’t like it. He has tried to escape it. He will struggle to be the player he was. If the desire is gone, it’s hard to be the player he wants to be.

No competitor wants to go out without a fight.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Sunday Mail,

Wayne Bennett has spoken of his fears for Greg Inglis, saying he worries about his life after football amid concerns the Queensland champion is poised to walk away from the NRL.

Inglis will confront the biggest decision of his glittering rugby league career tomorrow when he formally meets with Bennett to inform the super coach whether he will soldier on this season or retire immediately.

After a week away with family, the Souths superstar reunited with Rabbitohs teammates on the Sunshine Coast for last night’s clash against the Warriors ahead of his D-Day heart-to-heart with Bennett.

Greg Inglis was on the Sunshine Coast last night to watch the Bunnies in action. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
The notion of Inglis dropping a retirement bombshell tomorrow seems incongruous, but Bennett admits his most vexing issue is not related to football but his captain’s future and welfare.

The 32-year-old Inglis announced in January he would retire from the NRL when his contract expires in 2020, but knee and shoulder injuries could force the Maroons ace to pull the pin as early as tomorrow.

Asked if he can salvage Inglis’ magnificent career in his twilight years, Bennett spoke candidly with The Sunday Mail.

“To be honest, it’s up to Greg now,” Bennett said.

“You can do your bit, and I will help Greg where I can, but it all falls back to him.

“Nobody can give him those answers. I know I can’t.

“If the fire isn’t in the belly anymore or the body can’t do what it used to do ... well that’s the personal stuff Greg has to answer.

“I will sit down with Greg (tomorrow) and say simply, ‘What are you doing mate?’ Greg could easily bounce through the door and say, ‘I’m ready to go coach’.

“I don’t know what Greg will say when we meet. All the options are on the table at the moment. He is processing it all.

“I cannot predict what will happen.”

Bennett’s long-held mantra is that it is best for an ageing sporting champion to retire one year early than risk going one year too long.

He has given that advice to many great Broncos players including Shane Webcke, Petero Civoniceva, Darren Lockyer, Corey Parker and Justin Hodges.

But the 69-year-old is not trying to squeeze Inglis out of Redfern. Bennett still remembers the agony of Allan Langer’s shock decision to retire just eight rounds into the 1999 season after the legendary Brisbane halfback endured the first bona fide form slump of his career.

Bennett doesn’t want Inglis to please anyone at South Sydney but himself.

“All I want is for Greg to be happy,” he said.

“Greg has given 16 wonderful years to this game. I have enormous respect for him.

“But most of us don’t do sad well and he certainly doesn’t do sad well. He is getting around sad and we’re all trying to help him at Souths.

“He needs to make the decision that is going to take him out of that sad place.

“I genuinely care about Greg. I will tell Greg what I’m seeing and thinking. At the end of the day, it’s his decision whether he plays on, that’s a call I can’t make.

“But it’s important for Greg to know there are more important things in life than just the game.

“There is so much pressure on the champions because these guys are so great at what they do. There is so much pressure. They are so proud of their performances. They hate failure.

“For us battlers, failure is a part of our life.

“But for Greg, he is so good at what he does. When the great ones find it isn’t working for them, it is a very tough time for them.”

Greg Inglis came back from the off-season heavier than he should have been. Picture: AAP Image/Hamish Blair
Alarm bells for Bennett began to ring when Inglis reported for pre-season training in January.

The skipper had been given 10 weeks’ annual leave to cleanse the body and mind. Inglis embarked on an overseas holiday. Resting his body and staying off his feet to ease the strain on a knee injury had implications for his waistline.

It was reported Inglis’ weight ballooned by 15kg, but Bennett insisted that figure was closer to 6kg. Either way, Inglis was not in optimum condition. Bennett’s plans to deploy Inglis at fullback – after consulting his captain – had to be aborted.

It is understood Bennett subsequently called a meeting with Inglis. The pair spoke about the way forward.

Souths teammates had spoken among themselves about their concern for Inglis’ fragile mental state. To them, he seemed dark and distant. They spoke of the importance of rallying to support him, mindful of his stint in rehab 18 months earlier.

Inglis opened up to Bennett about the state of his body. His arthritic shoulder was giving him grief. Bennett sensed “GI” was at a crossroads. Last week, after Inglis contracted a bout of food poisoning eating a dodgy Chinese meal, Bennett urged him to take time out with a seven-day sabbatical relaxing with his kids.

Now Inglis is back in Camp Rabbitoh. Whatever he decides tomorrow, Bennett says it’s important South Sydney – and the game itself – is there to provide support mechanisms for an NRL champion.

“If we don’t look after Greg at Souths, what would he do? The game can’t employ every former player,” Bennett says.

“Greg is a classic case. He gets to this point in his life where he is scared. They all try to hang on. They have never worked in the workplace.

“You have to understand these guys are on big contracts. They aren’t going to walk away from $1 million so easily. They don’t have a clear career path.

“There’s not much we can do with Greg’s injuries. He has arthritis in his shoulder. It’s years of wear and tear. He can’t lift his arm above his head. He is trying to handle the pain and discomfort that comes with it.

“Whether Greg plays on I guess depends on how much discomfort he has and handling the pain that comes with it.

“Post-football Greg has no idea what he will do. They don’t plan for this day (of retirement) ... that day is not in their diary.”

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
So tomorrow is the day, D-day. I for one am honestly dreading tomorrow as it's not looking good at all for GI. My heart breaks for him and it hopes with all it's might that he will play on. However, it is looking very unlikely and it looks like tomorrow will be the end of one of the most glittering careers of all time.

This is going to absolutely devastate me if it happens, GI has been my favourite for such a long time.

Pommy

Coach

f**king Gray, better off giving me a chance and I haven’t played league since i was 15.

I do think it’s probably for the best that he retires now, his body is clearly done and on a selfish level it will give some certainty to the club. It’s hard to plan with such a big question mark over the team, you don’t know if he can play two weeks in a row.
I think he still has plenty to give to the game and this won’t be the last we see of him.

Last edited:

Latest posts