What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis announces retirement from rugby league

yobbo84

First Grade
An absolute legend of the game. Thanks for the memories, Greg.

CoarseWelllitAidi-size_restricted.gif

Vic Mackey

Referee
re: Cap 'relief'

If he medically retires and Souths pay him the remainder of his contract, it should count.
If he quits his contract and Souths no longer pay him, it shouldn't count. Why would an imaginary salary count in the cap? Any other player that quits or is fired would immediately free up cap space.

Pretty simple. The cap is meant to count what clubs are actually paying.
When Matai or Stewart were medically retired, they still got paid their salary didn't they?

I get what you’re saying, however I feel this leads to all sorts rorting. Chris Lawrence was signed to a monster 6 year contract in 2011. In 2015 Wests Tigers, along with Lawrence applied to extend his contract however have it spread out. I.e he was on $600kpa for the next 2 years, however would be reduced to $4-500kpa but got a 2 year extension at the new value. The NRL knocked it back saying ‘once we’ve registered a contract at an amount it can’t be reduced.’ I fail to see how this registered contract is different. He is still being employed by the club.

Haffa

Blood on Wayne’s hands. No needle = No game did him in. Couldn’t even give him a send off in the Qld on the weekend.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
At his best was a freak. I actually preferred watching him over the big jerks, Thurston, Cronk and Slater.

Hopefully he stays on the straight and narrow in retirement because he can contribute a lot to his community.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Havent seen anyone as dangerous a ball runner as young Inglis was at the Storm. Could have been one of the best ever but went on the Owen Craigie diet.
The younger Inglis played for Norths Devils. He was a sensation in the QRL. Playing in the NRL was just a matter of time.

The only reason he went to Melbourne was because Norths Devils were in their system.

moffla

Bench
Loved having him at the Storm, hated seeing him win a premiership with the bunnies but it was well deserved. Hope he stays well throughout retirement

Jordan

Juniors
Havent seen anyone as dangerous a ball runner as young Inglis was at the Storm. Could have been one of the best ever but went on the Owen Craigie diet.

He still is one of the best ever. The guy played 32 Origins.

I do wish he'd have stayed leaner and stayed at fb. Would've prolonged his career. That young version of Inglis was something else.

King hit

Coach
A truly great player when he wanted to be but I felt he was inconsistent. Still had a great career and is pulling up stumps at the right time.

Someguy

First Grade
That fend and his crazy acceleration so many times he would make something out of nothing.

Also those crazy bombs, no one kicked em higher

adamkungl

Immortal
He still is one of the best ever. The guy played 32 Origins.

I do wish he'd have stayed leaner and stayed at fb. Would've prolonged his career. That young version of Inglis was something else.

For me fitness affecting his consistency and ability to play his preferred position later in his career is the thing that will keep him from Immortal status.
Successive coaches should have pushed him to get that weight down and keep it down. He was an absolute monster at peak fitness. Did things to opposition players we'll be lucky to ever see again.