What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

MugaB

Coach
Yeah i thought Angels or Archangels, would suit Adelaide, with the perception of city of churches angle, but i also agree a relocation would help the city, in regards to depth in player squad/junior pathways as such

Travitoh

First Grade
Yeah i thought Angels or Archangels, would suit Adelaide, with the perception of city of churches angle, but i also agree a relocation would help the city, in regards to depth in player squad/junior pathways as such

IMO, the relocation would ideally take place over 3-5 seasons with the presence of (example only) Roosters increasing the number of games played in Adelaide per season from 1, to 3, to 5, increasing their presence and giving them the opportunity to bed themselves into their new territory before the move was completed.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
What about the Adelaide Saints?

I know that Saints is the Dragons secondary moniker but thought it played into the whole city of churches thing. Alternately (not saying this will happen or that I want it to happen) if St George move to Adelaide to become the Adelaide Saints.

MugaB

Coach
They're already supporting/representing the south coast nsw aswell as southern sydney
I wouldn't move the dragons or tigers
Those mergers are crucial to the spread out fanbases in key areas in sydney, its the whole cannot move manly away ( no northern team debate) now Parramatta and roosters and on the other hand have other teams that are in their area, being wests and souths
They are prime candidates, but fanbase for parra is huge, and roosters have too much influence, there's a stalemate within which of the sydney teams on who is best to relocate,
Stgeorge-illawarra service wollongong,
Penrith are too far west, great junior catchment.
Newcastle are far north, and these stand apart and surround sydney

The sydney teams of Parramatta, Wests, Canterbury, and then Souths, Easts, Cronulla, Manly are all near each other
Surely 2 teams from those 7 are able to relocate

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Again, this is all hypothetical. I’m not actually advocating for the dragons to move, otherwise I would propose it in the relocation/rationalisation thread. This is purely a fantasy thread on what you would name a new team and/or where you would locate it. I want to make that clear so no one gets butt hurt when it’s suggested that one team or another gets moved, etc.

On that, @MugaB, if you want to discuss relocation further then please keep it to the appropriate thread. This one is for team names and locations.

Anyway, my idea was purely a simple thought on the Saints name, rather than advocating that the dragons move anywhere. I’m aware of their place in RL and regions covered already.

MugaB

Coach
@mrA Everything's hypothetical in these threads, none of us can stop any teams from changing locations, you yourself suggested St.George relocate to Adelaide. maybe in future keep those comments in those threads you mentioned if your not happy with my view on that, otherwise accept that we all can voice our opinion regarding expansion.
No need to explain on my explanation.

Adelaide Archangels for mine and
One of my favorite Xmen characters
And has the double AA ring to it like brisbane broncos, penrith panthers and Newcastle (K)nights (on sound)

Last edited:

Brisket Head

Juniors
There's already some good names out there for local teams
Goondiwindi Goannas (Touch)
Nambour Toads (Union)
Springsure Mountain Men (League)

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
There's already some good names out there for local teams
Goondiwindi Goannas (Touch)
Nambour Toads (Union)
Springsure Mountain Men (League)
That’s why those names are part of local teams... barring the toads (cane toads) they don’t really capture the imagination of a wider audience. The only reason the Roosters and Rabbits still exist is due to heritage. You’d be hard pressed finding a new team in the modern era that would name themselves with these monikers.

I like where your heart and mind are but unfortunately in today’s monopoly society the moniker needs to be marketable.

Brisket Head

Juniors
That’s why those names are part of local teams... barring the toads (cane toads) they don’t really capture the imagination of a wider audience. The only reason the Roosters and Rabbits still exist is due to heritage. You’d be hard pressed finding a new team in the modern era that would name themselves with these monikers.

I like where your heart and mind are but unfortunately in today’s monopoly society the moniker needs to be marketable.

Great! Now I’ll have to let them all know that the Million$$$ they’ve put into their planned bids for the upcoming NRL expansion has been wasted. The Toads will be gutted. :)

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Great! Now I’ll have to let them all know that the Million$$$ they’ve put into their planned bids for the upcoming NRL expansion has been wasted. The Toads will be gutted. :)
Let’s get the federal government behind them! Sign the petition, vote in the referendum, make them the people’s team.

Brisket Head

Juniors
Go The Toads :)

I have always thought the Wedge Tailed Eagle would be a good Emblem for an Aussie team. Doesn't really roll of the tongue though. They'd end being called the Wedgies.

I can't imagine The Dingoes being a very good term to be attached to a sporting team.

The trouble with a lot of good uniquely Aussie Emblems, animals or otherwise have already been taken. Kookaburras, Bulls, Redbacks, Opals, Boomers, Taipans etc. When the Gold Coast were considering the Dolphins, Redcliffe were pretty quick to shoot it down. I know some might be allowed to get through because they're not RL, but even other sports would try to protect their ID to some degree.

I do like the snakes like the Browns or Red Bellies.

The Ingham Chickens??

greenBV4

Bench
Came up with this in a different thread:

From the sound of things the best bet for a second Brisbane team is one that unites the whole city against the Broncos. They don't want to be the "little brother" they want to be a competitor.

So why not go the soccer route with "Brisbane United".

Being mascot-less means it's not going to turn away anyone who doesn't like a certain mascot because its used by an old/existing team or because they don't particularly like the animal or something.

Picture1.png

I based the logo of the city's coat of arms/flag, but with a colour change because we don't really want another team in blue.

I guess if necessary some mascots could be derived from the logo like a doctor or snake or the Greek god Hermes (its his staff in the logo), or even a pretzel (idk why this would be the choice haha, the flag has the Stafford knot on it so thats why its there).

Or it could be something completely different that develops over time from the fans.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Rather than United I'd go with Brisbane City, or Greater Brisbane, something that encapsulates the entirety of the sewage tank city so that they all know they're lumped in with it.

greenBV4

Bench
Rather than United I'd go with Brisbane City, or Greater Brisbane, something that encapsulates the entirety of the sewage tank city so that they all know they're lumped in with it.
i don't really know soccer and what the go with Man U and Man City is but isn't the City club usually the more inner city, rich, "glamour" club, I saw the Broncos more as the "city" club and the potential new club wanting to be different (and avoid the main problem people have with the bombers, they are basically the Broncos)

A "united" club would unite all the suburbs of Brisbane, as well as potentially a few of the QLD cup sides who could have shares in the club?

Either way the logo and branding works, just change out the word

flippikat

Bench
Came up with this in a different thread:

From the sound of things the best bet for a second Brisbane team is one that unites the whole city against the Broncos. They don't want to be the "little brother" they want to be a competitor.

So why not go the soccer route with "Brisbane United".

Being mascot-less means it's not going to turn away anyone who doesn't like a certain mascot because its used by an old/existing team or because they don't particularly like the animal or something.

View attachment 32916

I based the logo of the city's coat of arms/flag, but with a colour change because we don't really want another team in blue.

I guess if necessary some mascots could be derived from the logo like a doctor or snake or the Greek god Hermes (its his staff in the logo), or even a pretzel (idk why this would be the choice haha, the flag has the Stafford knot on it so thats why its there).

Or it could be something completely different that develops over time from the fans.

That's really good.

I see the logo is red and black, would that be the team's colours?

It's a traditional sports combination that's sorely missing in the NRL.. and to be honest the chances of the Bears coming back are slim at best, so it's open to takers I guess.

Brisbane United (red/black) and West Coast Pirates (Gold, black & red) for expansion, then?

I'd love the Titans to re-brand to either the bid colours (teal & orange, Gold Coast Dolphins jersey.. just keeping the Titans name) or blue and maroon (a mix of Queensland & NSW colours, in honor of their place by the border)

Then Adelaide Angels or Rams (Red, blue, gold), and NZ Keas (Green/brown/orange) as teams 19 and 20

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench
That's really good.

I see the logo is red and black, would that be the team's colours?

It's a traditional sports combination that's sorely missing in the NRL.. and to be honest the chances of the Bears coming back are slim at best, so it's open to takers I guess.

Yeah I though a majority red, then white and black secondaries would be a good fit for a new qld team. We don't want another team in a shade of blue, and the Broncos are already maroon, so Red seemed the obvious choice.

Being majority red allows the door to remain open for the bears to use red&black if and wherever they manage to pop back up

I'd love the Titans to re-brand to either the bid colours (teal & orange, Gold Coast Dolphins jersey.. just keeping the Titans name) or blue and maroon (a mix of Queensland & NSW colours, in honor of their place by the border)

Then Adelaide Angels or Rams (Red, blue, gold), and NZ Keas (Green/brown/orange) as teams 19 and 20

Honestly I like the Titans colour set (when done right), but if they were to change something like the blue and maroon Australia jersey could be interesting.

An Adelaide team definitely needs that colour set, a darker blue and yellow (basically same as the crows), and not just the newcastle rip-off like the rams had

Id love to see NZ 2 in a Jade-green (like greenstone) and black kit, with the warriors keeping the current colour set.
I also like the Keas name and the green would fit in with that

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I can’t say I like the United or City part. I’d be doing all I could to avoid comparison to soccer/football. I know the Roosters sort of tried it when they became Sydney City, but a few years later they dropped the city part.

I also like the mascot idea because the kids love it when a person dressed as a (insert mascot here) comes around the field. Mascots are also marketable.

It’s still a good consideration though. Just personal preference that turns me off it.

I think I saw that thread you did. I put a couple in there as well. Derivatives of old defunct BRL clubs for the Bris2 team. Ideas like:

Toowong Cemetry-siders -> West Brisbane Reapers
Brisbane Railways -> South Bris Crushers
Valley Diehards -> Brisbane Gladiators (too close to Titans, I know)

Latest posts