What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Travitoh

First Grade
Money saved on GI goes to Trent Merrin rest of the season and next - Bennett likes him/wanted him at Souths. Takes up Suttos salary next year. Money to keep GB, Maybe Pangai type player and money left over for quality centre.

Just my opinion, but Merrin will end up at StGI, replacing JDB.

uksouthsfan

Juniors
I would look over hear in the UK for a centre replacement. J Conner at Hull, O Gildart at Wigan, M Percival at St Helens, B Tupou at Wakefield and K Watkins at Leeds are all very good players and all will be currently getting paid less than $200k so wouldn’t cost much to get them.

Travitoh

First Grade
I would look over hear in the UK for a centre replacement. J Conner at Hull, O Gildart at Wigan, M Percival at St Helens, B Tupou at Wakefield and K Watkins at Leeds are all very good players and all will be currently getting paid less than $200k so wouldn’t cost much to get them.

Watkins earns less than $200k? He's captain of the club!
Is the money over there really that poor?

ThingFish

Juniors
I’d take Watkins any day of the week. UK have some great outside backs. I’d even invite Joe Burgess back and put Graham or Allen in the centres.

Travitoh

First Grade
I’d take Watkins any day of the week. UK have some great outside backs. I’d even invite Joe Burgess back and put Graham or Allen in the centres.

Very few British backs have come to Australia and succeeded though.

On Watkins, there aren't many Leeds fans who are happy with his performances in recent times.

Ultra Rabbit

Juniors
I would like to see Will Hopoate at the Bunnies - he is contracted until 2020 - perhaps leaves a year early? I think he would really blossom under Wayne. He is in a dead end at the Bulldogs.

uksouthsfan

Juniors
Watkins earns less than $200k? He's captain of the club!
Is the money over there really that poor?

The UK salary cap is £1.8 million so that’s about $3 million dollars but your allowed 2 marquee players that don’t count on the salary cap. Leeds 2 marquee players I believe are Merrin and Hurrell. Sorry I ment Watkins won’t be on £200k in pounds. No players in super league will be on that much bar the odd marquee like widdop next season. You could sign 3 of those players for the same money inglis was on.... joe burgess is out of contract at the end of this season and has been in great form since returning from injury. Don’t know if you guys know much about Luke Thompson, Jake Connor and Tommy makinson over there but they would all kill it over in the NRL.

callmack1

Staff member
Absolutely fantastic news that GI's salary is not going to put on the cap which means we pretty much have 1.5 million to spend. We could potentially go out and buy two marquee players for that.

This could be brilliant!

handyman2190

Bench
Absolutely fantastic news that GI's salary is not going to put on the cap which means we pretty much have 1.5 million to spend. We could potentially go out and buy two marquee players for that.

This could be brilliant!
Wait for the other15 clubs to start winging and complaining, nrl 360 has started the ball rolling

GloryGlory

Juniors
Reading between the lines we will likely have to declare a salary for Inglis of around $200K that would be included in the cap for the duration of the time Inglis was contracted. Given we have already paid GI half of this years salary that would give us $300K buffer in this years cap and $800K to send next year.

While we have Douehi and Burns still to return our depth in the backs is really shallow. We now only have 28 players in our 30 and the club should be looking to add one straight away (traditionally clubs hold on to spot 30 until June 30 incase they need to cover a serious injury). There really is no one outside our 30 worth taking a back spot, infact Amone is the only player outside the 30 who should be elevated but he is a forward and will likely have to wait until June 30 for his crack. The club could use Lowe as a centre but I thing the Warriors game proved Turner can't play centre - his defence is good but Campbell Graham didn't receive a pass for the entire game - and while i think Lowe would do a better job his value is running lines on the edge.

I would suspect a fringe centre will be snapped up in the next couple of weeks to add depth. Any ideas/suggestions?

Rabbit57

Juniors
Conventional wisdom is to not weaken one position to strengthen another but Sutton is skilful and could run at centre with Lowe on the edge until we have a more permanent fix

Travitoh

First Grade
I read on another site that Richo isn't keen on bringing in Roberts. DT was the source from memory.

Who's in the last year of their deal at Souths?

GI's money could be put towards upgrading Murray and Graham amongst others.
I would prefer to see us lock in our young stars building towards 22+ than to go out and splurge on a centre in a 'win now' attempt.

Last edited:

Latest posts