What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

sempmrh

Juniors
The key word is search. General advertising doesn't require a searcher. It is put in front of an unaware person. An extremely important factor in enticing new and neutral fans to a game or code.
Facebook builds a profile of you based on what it perceives to be your interests, your location and your activity not just on Facebook but the entire internet. You don't have to search for something for Facebook to have an idea of who you are and what advertising and sponsored posts are appropriate for them to serve to you.

Want to see how creepy Facebook is? Go to your settings and look for either "ads" or "ad preferences" (depending on whether you're using desktop or a phone app). You'll find everything Facebook has generated about you to serve you ads and sponsored posts. Sometimes it's way off or vague but more often than not it's spot on. Basically, if Facebook determines that you're a fan of sports and are from a certain location, that's when they should be serving sponsored posts for NRL games - but the clubs need to do their part to get the posts in front of you, too.

Stallion

First Grade
Facebook builds a profile of you based on what it perceives to be your interests, your location and your activity not just on Facebook but the entire internet. You don't have to search for something for Facebook to have an idea of who you are and what advertising and sponsored posts are appropriate for them to serve to you.

Want to see how creepy Facebook is? Go to your settings and look for either "ads" or "ad preferences" (depending on whether you're using desktop or a phone app). You'll find everything Facebook has generated about you to serve you ads and sponsored posts. Sometimes it's way off or vague but more often than not it's spot on. Basically, if Facebook determines that you're a fan of sports and are from a certain location, that's when they should be serving sponsored posts for NRL games - but the clubs need to do their part to get the posts in front of you, too.

That's not the point here. It's about enticing /attracting those potential fans that are newcomers and foreign to this code. That's what general publicity/advertising attracts. With this the game/code grows into new cultural circles and genres. Otherwise it's all established known markets which should be informed and have knowledge of deals etc. The other general publicity /advert market gains new people for the code.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
That's not the point here. It's about enticing /attracting those potential fans that are newcomers and foreign to this code. That's what general publicity/advertising attracts. With this the game/code grows into new culturrally circles and genres. Otherwise it's all established known markets which should be informed and have knowledge of deals etc. The other general publicity /advert market gains new people for the code.
What sort of advertising are you advocating for?

Marlins

Juniors
Such an interesting Round for crowds this week. Being Easter Round, and the first match at Bankwest Stadium.

The Dogs & Souths both having momentum, looking like they can crack 40k.

The Titans have struggled for form & crowds, though this is their first day home game of the year. Hopefully being a sunny Easter Sunday, and a win on the board, will help.

Storm/Roosters could crack 25k, and maybe become a permanent Easter Tradition/Rivalry. Could get extra Numbers with the MCG game, finishing just before.

Dragons first game at Wollongong should push a good crowd.

The rest are all in good time slots, and should all be looking at decent numbers.

Predictions - All crowds 15k+, Dogs/Souths 40k+, Storm to own an Easter Friday clash, and BankWest stadium to be the turning point for Western Sydney Crowds!

sempmrh

Juniors
That's not the point here. It's about enticing /attracting those potential fans that are newcomers and foreign to this code. That's what general publicity/advertising attracts. With this the game/code grows into new culturrally circles and genres. Otherwise it's all established known markets which should be informed and have knowledge of deals etc. The other general publicity /advert market gains new people for the code.
Then cast a wider net with the sponsored posts. Storm is currently running six different Facebook ads for the one game this week, presumably for different audiences. Every one of those ads has a "book now" button to instantly purchase tickets. You can't do that with general advertising.

greenBV4

Bench
The key word is search. General advertising doesn't require a searcher. It is put in front of an unaware person. An extremely important factor in enticing new and neutral fans to a game or code.
You didn't answer my genuine question
What would you refer to as "general advertisement"??

Stallion

First Grade
What sort of advertising are you advocating for?

More omnipresent : Billboards, newspapers, tv mentions & Radio . These media genres are more able to attract new fans to the game. Not just established fan bases. Neutrals and new fans are informed which does make a positive impact. Hope this answers your valid and constructive question.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Then cast a wider net with the sponsored posts. Storm is currently running six different Facebook ads for the one game this week, presumably for different audiences. Every one of those ads has a "book now" button to instantly purchase tickets. You can't do that with general advertising.

Still not the point. That's fine for established markets. (and no issues with this) The wider advertising/publicity in a general sense entices new and neutral fans. Very crucial.in maximizing attendances and awareness. Otherwise you will only entice an 'included ' fanbase and not new potential fanbases.

greenBV4

Bench
Round 5 Stadium Averages

> 2 new "top 10" crowds, total average 1% up on last years h/a average
> 1 "bottom 10" crowd, average improvement of -2%, of the venues also played at last year, only half are better than their 2018 total

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 7.55.00 pm.png

Marlins

Juniors
Sharks v Panthers 15k
Bulldogs v Souths 42k
Storm v Roosters 25k
Warriors v Cowboys 16k
Dragons v Manly 16k
Titans v Knights 15k
Raiders v Broncos 19k
Eels v Tigers 30k

Chook Norris

First Grade
More omnipresent : Billboards, newspapers, tv mentions & Radio . These media genres are more able to attract new fans to the game. Not just established fan bases. Neutrals and new fans are informed which does make a positive impact. Hope this answers your valid and constructive question.
I daresay the NRL has already done a cost/benefit analysis of what you're supporting and it probably isn't worth it anymore.

The NRL seems to have substantially reduced their budget for TV advertising compared to the past. I don't think they would do that if there weren't a good reason for it.

Anyway, one, if I'm a person with no interest in sports the likelihood of me being convinced to go to a NRL game based on a newspaper print out is pretty much nil. Two, who still reads newspapers. Three, who still watches TV outside of sports and some reality TV (primetime and super expensive advertising anyway). Four, radio? What station?

Sharkman05

Juniors
As opposed to 20k perth fans who dont like the game but paid $45 to go anyway?
Probably much cheaper to host a game on the Sunny coast rather than Perth, I’m just glad the Coast is finally getting to show how much support there is.
It’s a much bigger population base than Townsville with a big city under an hour away.
Hopefully a stadium upgrade will happen and more games can be played.

Stallion

First Grade
I daresay the NRL has already done a cost/benefit analysis of what you're supporting and it probably isn't worth it anymore.

The NRL seems to have substantially reduced their budget for TV advertising compared to the past. I don't think they would do that if there weren't a good reason for it.

Anyway, one, if I'm a person with no interest in sports the likelihood of me being convinced to go to a NRL game based on a newspaper print out is pretty much nil. Two, who still reads newspapers. Three, who still watches TV outside of sports and some reality TV (primetime and super expensive advertising anyway). Four, radio? What station?

We completely dissagree. Isolating rugby league to just social media is not going to gain greater community awareness and attract new fans that do exist. For instance: my father whom was a migrant would not have followed rugby league had it not been for its general presence in the public eye. Limiting the exposure of this great code is not going to grow it's relevance. Perhaps some people don't want to see this code gain new fans?Some do and should. Share the game rather than making it "exclusive" is the prudent and proactive way forward. Insular exposure using just social media will not gain new fans and widespread relevance for this code.

T-Boon

Coach

One thing you see on the telecast of Major League Baseball is the most prominent ad at the ground (relative to the TV viewer) is for the teams up coming games/promotions and where to get tickets. They place the ad behind home plate right in the television viewers sights as the batter stares down the pitcher. So, watching highlights of the Yankees v White Sox on youtube last night I can tell you they have an up coming Star Wars themed day on May the 4th and I can tell you where to get tickets.
If you are not really advertising attendance to your up coming games and how to get tickets to the 300k people watching your team on TV (presumably many of which are your fans) then you are not having a go.
Imagine if clubs advertised their up coming games as much, or half as much, as they advertised their major sponsor.

Last edited:

braz

Juniors
on under reporting. NQ were notorious for a few years of accidentally under reporting for the first 3-4 games of the season because the season tickets weren’t registering on the turnstiles. we would just get waved through when trying to scan a few times and the lights wouldn’t go off so a lot of us were never counted at 3 of the 4 gates.

I can usually guess within about 1000 the crowds at 1300’s due purely to the amount of games I’ve attended there the last 25 years and not through any intelligence or inside goss. Discounting other people’s learned crowd figure opinion at other grounds is thwart with danger imo, you’ll find they are normally more on the money than you’d think.
Agree with this 100%. I posted something similar a couple weeks back after Wests Tigers v Bulldogs at Campbelltown where the game drew much larger than what was reported.

It’s not some complicated conspiracy- it’s just incompetence. The stadium operators and staff aren’t experienced at dealing with crowds bigger than the average. Regularly at our home grounds membership cards don’t scan correctly and people just get let in.

In round 3 @ CSS they stopped selling GA tix 30 mins before kick off. It was packed on both hills and there is no way you could fit more than a couple of thousand more in the place. No way that crowd was ~15k.

As someone else said it’s not the biggest issue the game has to deal with but I’d be inclined to believe people like the Dragons fans who attend Kogarah every game season after season.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
We completely dissagree. Isolating rugby league to just social media is not going to gain greater community awareness and attract new fans that do exist. For instance: my father whom was a migrant would not have followed rugby league had it not been for its general presence in the public eye. Limiting the exposure of this great code is not going to grow it's relevance. Perhaps some people don't want to see this code gain new fans?Some do and should. Share the game rather than making it "exclusive" is the prudent and proactive way forward. Insular exposure using just social media will not gain new fans and widespread relevance for this code.

You speak about new fans but say that social media is not the platform to reach them effectively? Its exactly the platform to reach the next generation which should be the key target market for the league. Every person under 18 these days has their noses stuck to their phones 24/7! Heck, my old man is a social media junkie these days, and is all over the storm news feed. Migrants and older Australians would not be the market that will drive growth as much as the youth of the country.

Stallion

First Grade
You speak about new fans but say that social media is not the platform to reach them effectively? Its exactly the platform to reach the next generation which should be the key target market for the league. Every person under 18 these days has their noses stuck to their phones 24/7! Heck, my old man is a social media junkie these days, and is all over the storm news feed. Migrants and older Australians would not be the market that will drive growth as much as the youth of the country.

Not every person. That's incorrect. Their are a whole stack of people whom don't use it. The widespread version of publicity is far more omnipresent. Instead of a select audience the code is able to connect with many more. This is not to say social media is not useful. But connecting with everyone is much more doable with both angles. Not just one.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not every person. That's incorrect. Their are a whole stack of people whom don't use it. The widespread version of publicity is far more omnipresent. Instead of a select audience the code is able to connect with many more. This is not to say social media is not useful. But connecting with everyone is much more doable with both angles. Not just one.
The market the game should be going after is absolutely all on social media.

Older fans are already rusted on and don't need SM to engage with the game. It's the new fans we need to attract in younger age groups that do use it and the NRL needs to go hard after them.