What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Stallion

First Grade
The market the game should be going after is absolutely all on social media.

Older fans are already rusted on and don't need SM to engage with the game. It's the new fans we need to attract in younger age groups that do use it and the NRL needs to go hard after them.

Dissagree. Not only older fans but newcomers to Australia require social prompting. Mainstream publicity and media does this. Both social media and public advertising/publicity are very useful. The more knowing about the deals and what's available the better. Social.media has its place but it's clearly not omnipresent.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Sharks v Panthers 15k
Bulldogs v Souths 42k
Storm v Roosters 25k
Warriors v Cowboys 16k
Dragons v Manly 16k
Titans v Knights 15k
Raiders v Broncos 19k
Eels v Tigers 30k

Sharks v Panthers 13k
Bulldogs v Souths 35k
Storm v Roosters 23k
Warriors v Cowboys 14k
Dragons v Manly 16k
Titans v Knights 13k
Raiders v Broncos 17k
Eels v Tigers 29k

Total 160k ave 20k.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Dissagree. Not only older fans but newcomers to Australia require social prompting. Mainstream publicity and media does this. Both social media and public advertising/publicity are very useful. The more knowing about the deals and what's available the better. Social.media has its place but it's clearly not omnipresent.
Didn't say it was omnipresent. I'm merely saying that the biggest market the NRL needs to engage with are a younger demographic (18-40) and social media is where you'll find the vast majority.

Stallion

First Grade
Didn't say it was omnipresent. I'm merely saying that the biggest market the NRL needs to engage with are a younger demographic (18-40) and social media is where you'll find the vast majority.

Absolutely. So using both is prudent for widespread marketing. We agree!

T-Boon

Coach

True, but in terms of crowd building wouldnt you target the hard core fans that have decided to just watch on TV. There are multiple hundreds of thousands in Sydney alone. I would think of them as low hanging fruit. Got to at least try to get them to the ground. Tell them when the game is on, what extras they will get and where to get tickets and how to get there.

Timmah

Staff member
What's better for the game as spectacle - 40,000 at a cavernous ANZ, or 30,000 packed in to Bankwest?
Once you hit 40k+ at ANZ it's pretty good to be fair - but I'd rather see a full Bankwest.

Stallion

First Grade
Once you hit 40k+ at ANZ it's pretty good to be fair - but I'd rather see a full Bankwest.

And it should be used every weekend if possible. Think some clubs have decided to use it other than Parramatta. Love to see a simliar stadium out Penrith way and in southern Sydney . The new SFS will be handy as well! Northern Sydney would be nice but we are slowly but surely losing our established fanbase there!

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
And it should be used every weekend if possible. Think some clubs have decided to use it other than Parramatta. Love to see a simliar stadium out Penrith way and in southern Sydney . The new SFS will be handy as well!
Parramatta 11 home games (1 Darwin)
Wests Tigers 4 home games (3 LO, 3 CTN, 1 Tamworth, 1 Magic)
Bulldogs 1 home game (9 ANZ, 1 Belmore, 1 Magic) - likely to increase if ANZ is redeveloped

I believe the Eels and Tigers as well as Penrith would play home finals there if they qualify 1st-6th.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The key word is search. General advertising doesn't require a searcher. It is put in front of an unaware person. An extremely important factor in enticing new and neutral fans to a game or code.

You don't have to search anything for a targeted ad to pop up in your feed. It goes on historical searches. Anyone interested in the topic will have the ad placed in front of them (the ones most likely to buy cheap, last minute sporting tickets) and the ones that aren't interested (i.e. don't have a search history on the topic) won't get the ad put in front of them which is correct because they are unlikely to attend even if it was free.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Nope . I've seen it at work at local league level. My local club embarked on a massive social.media campaign for a recent grandfinal . General public advertising was minimal. The crowd was embarassingly low. (5500) The same clubs played in front of 16000 in 1987. Must admit the venue was innapropriate for local footy though.

So they are poor at social media marketing then....or.... the event wasn't that attractive to the public.

You believe what you like, I'm just telling you how it works from someone who is a social media marketing student.

Perth Red

Post Whore
True, but in terms of crowd building wouldnt you target the hard core fans that have decided to just watch on TV. There are multiple hundreds of thousands in Sydney alone. I would think of them as low hanging fruit. Got to at least try to get them to the ground. Tell them when the game is on, what extras they will get and where to get tickets and how to get there.

NRL got $32million in contra this tv deal, you'd think they could run some more targeted TV adverts?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Parramatta 11 home games (1 Darwin)
Wests Tigers 4 home games (3 LO, 3 CTN, 1 Tamworth, 1 Magic)
Bulldogs 1 home game (9 ANZ, 1 Belmore, 1 Magic) - likely to increase if ANZ is redeveloped

I believe the Eels and Tigers as well as Penrith would play home finals there if they qualify 1st-6th.

Criminal it is only hosting 16 NRL games a year. Its the only decent stadium in Sydney!

Valheru

Coach

Has the NRL determined whether it is suitable for prelim finals?

Capacity wise it is same as AAMI but I can't imagine if Parra or wests qualified for a home prelim that their fan bases wouldn't easily get 40k plus at homebush, especially against other Sydney opposition.

Latest posts