What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam - Remembering the great people of our great game.

Generalzod

Immortal
Geoff Selby - taken way too soon.
An ever reliable player who could hold his head high in an era when the Dragons were junk, post the 85 Grand Final. The grief is still raw at the mention of his name & I’m glad the Dragons hand out an annual award in his honour.
Remember watching Robert Stone when I was a lot younger I kind of mistaken him for Craig Young .may he Rest In Peace

Generalzod

Immortal
Peter Armstrong.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/11/vale-peter-armstrong/

The St George Illawarra Dragons are deeply saddened by the passing of former Dragon Peter Armstrong.

Featuring in over 100 grade games across six seasons (1957-1964) at the Dragons, the Marist Brothers Kogarah junior Armstrong overcame a fractured neck vertebra to forge a successful career in the Red V.

Following in the footsteps of club legend Ken Kearney at hooker, Armstrong was a member of the Dragons' 1961 and 1964 premiership-winning teams against Western Suburbs and Balmain respectively.

A further two reserve grade premierships in 1962 and 1963 rounded out Armstrong's contribution to the Dragons' era of 11-straight first grade premierships – a period of the like that will never be repeated.

One final season with the Newtown Bluebags in 1965 rounded out his playing career.

The Dragons will wear black armbands on Sunday afternoon as tribute to Armstrong when the Red V faces the Bulldogs at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah.
I think there is one minute silence at Shark park for Peter...

For me...it would be Jack Gibson....the greatest coach ever...
there are so many great lines from him...
To Sterlo at the SCG...'kick it where the seagulls are son'...
when someone pointed to Brett Kenny and said 'who's that guy over there?'...
Jack's reply' well it ain't Robert Redford'...so Brett became 'Bert'.
At a State Of Origin game he was coaching a journo asked 'So Jack,are you nervous?,
Jack's reply...'nope...,I ain't playin'.
when he climbed into bed one night and his wife Judy said 'God your feet are cold'...
Jack replied 'sorry,I'll put on some socks,and stop calling me God'.
Big Jack was Rugby League...
I miss him and the game sure misses him.

During one of his coaching stints at the Roosters, they lost a game they were expected to win. When interviewed after the game the reporter said the Roosters lacked execution. Jack's reply was "I wouldn't be against it".

Willie Ray

Bench
During one of his coaching stints at the Roosters, they lost a game they were expected to win. When interviewed after the game the reporter said the Roosters lacked execution. Jack's reply was "I wouldn't be against it".
Talking once about a journo he didn't like much...
'if he was drowning I'd throw him a rope......both ends'.
loved his dry humour.

Arthur Beetson

A true inspiration to countless people. Immortal, pioneer of Origin, one of the most skilful ball playing forwards ever, the first aboriginal captain to lead Australia in any sport and an awesome bloke

RIP can’t believe it’s been 8 years this year

View attachment 29063

Indeed. I thought of this the other day - in another thread someone was talking about the 100th SOO game at Lang Park and I looked it up and watched this again - below.

While it's to celebrate the history of SOO before the 100th game in 2014, I think it's also a celebration of Arthur Beetson and worthy of posting here.

King hit

Coach
Indeed. I thought of this the other day - in another thread someone was talking about the 100th SOO game at Lang Park and I looked it up and watched this again - below.

While it's to celebrate the history of SOO before the 100th game in 2014, I think it's also a celebration of Arthur Beetson and worthy of posting here.

That was me that was talking about that night :ok_hand:

T-Boon

Coach
For me...it would be Jack Gibson....the greatest coach ever...
there are so many great lines from him...
To Sterlo at the SCG...'kick it where the seagulls are son'...
when someone pointed to Brett Kenny and said 'who's that guy over there?'...
Jack's reply' well it ain't Robert Redford'...so Brett became 'Bert'.
At a State Of Origin game he was coaching a journo asked 'So Jack,are you nervous?,
Jack's reply...'nope...,I ain't playin'.
when he climbed into bed one night and his wife Judy said 'God your feet are cold'...
Jack replied 'sorry,I'll put on some socks,and stop calling me God'.
Big Jack was Rugby League...
I miss him and the game sure misses him.

Thanks again for this one, I've told several of my friends some of these stories (particularly the Brett Kenny one) over the last few days. So I am getting good value out of it.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Garry Dowling represented Australia in 1980.

Remember the shock hearing he died in a car accident in 83.

Great player and such a likeable person Garry Dowling was, it was a shock when I heard it but also it reminded me of another player James Matthews who was a centre for the Roosters, I remember waking up and hearing that he died in a car accident also, such a promising young player gone to young.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Ben Alexander - I still remember that day as if it were yesterday. Many a tear was shed among the Panthers fans that day

I remember going to Penrith Park to watch the Roosters play Penrith on the Sunday, left shaking my head when Craig Salvatori had a brain snap and head butted a Penrith player while he was in possession of the ball, he was sent off and the whole complexion of the game changed, was so p*ssed off after that game but then the shock news the next morning of Ben Alexander’s death made everything pale into comparison.

Willie Ray

Bench
Remember Reagan Campbell-Gillard before Origin 1 last year

“I can’t wait to put that jersey on and start killing people”
Really...did he say that...I don't mind RCG,he goes okay but you wouldn't talk trash like that to big Dallas,
Imagine big DD playing against some dude wearing a man bun....oh the humanity.

Latest posts