What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You can't buy a premiership!!!

Mr Spock!

Referee
hi everybody!

i've been thinking. the knights are now 1-4, despite an easy draw and lotsa home games. which is really surprising, considering how most people were picking them to be premiership contenders. but once i thought about it, the piss poor start to the season by the Newcastle Knights is not that surprising.

why?

Because you cannot buy a premiership!!

I looked at the Knights lineup for last night's game. 11 of the starting 13 were bought from other clubs. and many of them (ramien, hunt, lee, lino, gavet, glasby, klemmer) are in their first season in newcastle. this is textbook trying to buy a premiership. and its the cause of the knights' failings. you need to build a strong culture if you are to win a premiership, and you cannot achieve that if you have lots of players new to the club. they are not familar with the newcastle culture, so they are doomed to fail.

i compare it to a successful development club like the Roosters, who won the premiership last year. Toops debuted at the club in 2012. Lats and Manu are other Roosterites who have come through our lower grades, as has Friendy, Maubs, Cordner, Radley, Liu, Napa and Matto. Taukeiaho and JWH came to the club with less than 10 appearances for their former club. whats the result of all this development? a team of players who live and breathe the Roosters Culture.

Thats why development clubs like the Roosters will win premierships, whilst clubs that try to buy premierships will fail.

Thank you for reading :)
LOL it's about who you buy... Yeah you won't win signing useless hacks and overrated nuffies to million dollar contracts.

Willie Ray

Bench
I never thought the Knights were trying to buy a premiership,I had them finishing this season just outside the eight,
trying to strengthen their roster ...of course,
and trying to buy some distance between themselves and three consecutive
wooden spoons...well who could blame them for that.

When you look at teams that become premiers they have one thing in common, a blend of developed juniors and players recruited from other clubs. If you want an example, look at the famed St George Dragons during their 11 year premiership run. They had a good core of juniors but they had players they recruited from outside the club (e.g. Kevin Ryan who they recruited from Brisbane Brothers, John Raper who was recruited from the Newtown Jets).

Main reason this happens is that no matter how good your development/coaching paths, you rarely get sufficient quality juniors coming through which enable you to fill the entire team. Take the Parramatta Eels of the late 1990s-early 2000s. As they'd had a generation that spawned Grothe, Kenny, Ella (amongst others) locally, they thought they could replenish their side by solely recruiting from within. problem is the players who came up were not as good, or were not properly identified by the club and were recruited by other clubs. Hence Parramatta spent years as also rans down near the foot of the table during this period.

Parramatta only got back on the winners board in a serious way after the recruitment of Jarrod McCracken, Dean Pay, Jim Dymock and Jason Smith in 1996 as they filled gaps in the quality that was partly missing from their team.

Last edited:

TheDalek079

Bench
i agree. successful clubs like the Roosters develop a core through their lower grades, and make smart recruitment decisions to add quality in positions that it is lacking. teams like the Knights that are trying to buy a premiership just try to buy good players in every position rather than developing their own.

Nevan_

First Grade
i agree. successful clubs like the Roosters develop a core through their lower grades

“Develop” is a strong word. Poach more like.

The sooner their sugar daddies either die, or go to gaol, the better. That pissant club won’t survive without their dodgy benefactors.

People seem to underestimate the genius of the Sydney Roosters' club chairman and head coach, who together have made the Sydney Roosters a champion club like no other ever seen. The current Sydney Roosters management and playing squad constitutes a sporting phenomenon the like of which we have never seen before and we will never see again.

Lambretta

First Grade
Except for the fact you bought Tedasco, Cronk and Keary who would be amongst most of roosters winning percentage.o_O

Offering to pay a salary to a free agent is not buying anyone

Rugby League teams do not "buy" players

Football teams such as Manchester United and Barcelona "buy" players
It doesn't happen in our game

myrrh ken

First Grade
but if they had good development pathways then the spoon winners would be replaced by talented youngsters coming into first grade

Oh so they have too much talent not coming through.

Offering to pay a salary to a free agent is not buying anyone

Rugby League teams do not "buy" players

Football teams such as Manchester United and Barcelona "buy" players
It doesn't happen in our game

Roosters don't buy players. They merely hire them for short periods and then find suitably retirement accomodation at other clubs

myrrh ken

First Grade
To be in contention first you need to make the finals, which myself and everyone thought would happen with that list.

Luckily three QLD teams & Canterbury are complete shit and the only thing keeping them from being ~15th after 5 rounds.

Nathan Brown has done f**k all while the recruiters have done everything they've been asked - I don't have much of an issue with signing a majority of outsiders, a good coach turns a team of good players into a good team.

Too much the other way and you're the Panthers, crowing about how great your reserve grade teams are while your first grade team is middling at best.

They've bought 1 superstar (Klemmer), 2 solid first graders (Glasby and Moga), a few fringe first graders (Lee, Hunt, Lino, Buhrer, Mann), a rookie (Ramien) and a few past their prime players (Guerra, Pearce, SKD, Buhrer again).

Yeah they've bought extensively - but you're expecting a miracle out of that lot? They are probably hoping for 8th place at best.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Buy at least 3 out of the 4 spine players who are at a decent quality level and its fair to say you've bought whatever success you get.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They've bought 1 superstar (Klemmer), 2 solid first graders (Glasby and Moga), a few fringe first graders (Lee, Hunt, Lino, Buhrer, Mann), a rookie (Ramien) and a few past their prime players (Guerra, Pearce, SKD, Buhrer again).

Yeah they've bought extensively - but you're expecting a miracle out of that lot? They are probably hoping for 8th place at best.

They are missing buying a good quality 6 or 9 then we can call them a bought premiership, not that they seem to have any chance of winning one it would seem regardless of who they sign.