What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor Extension

BLM01

First Grade
"Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston said the decision to re-sign McGregor was one made on the basis of several factors.

"Paul's retention has come down to more than just the football played on the field," Johnston said.

"Paul is a values-driven, team-first individual who is at the forefront of personal development for both he and his players.

"A testament of this is the number of Dragons who have achieved higher representative honours and those to have successfully debuted under Paul's tutelage, as well as the club's improved results in recent seasons.

"Paul's emotional intelligence and man management attributes are key to him being well-respected throughout the playing group and the club's staff in its entirety, which is another crucial reason for his extension."

My translation of the above..so it is not about on field results. OK except he mentioned recent years. Oh...He made the final 6 in 2018. That was the benchmark!
Higher representative honours for NSW anyway was the player skill not the coaching. And regards for overseas countries well Canterbury Cup players have made international debut's.

getsmarty

Immortal
"Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston said the decision to re-sign McGregor was one made on the basis of several factors.

"Paul's retention has come down to more than just the football played on the field," Johnston said.

"Paul is a values-driven, team-first individual who is at the forefront of personal development for both he and his players.

"A testament of this is the number of Dragons who have achieved higher representative honours and those to have successfully debuted under Paul's tutelage, as well as the club's improved results in recent seasons.

"Paul's emotional intelligence and man management attributes are key to him being well-respected throughout the playing group and the club's staff in its entirety, which is another crucial reason for his extension."

My translation of the above..so it is not about on field results. OK except he mentioned recent years. Oh...He made the final 6 in 2018. That was the benchmark!
Higher representative honours for NSW anyway was the player skill not the coaching. And regards for overseas countries well Canterbury Cup players have made international debut's.

Well spotted....I think the Gordon interview pretty much shows you what the club is thinking....very enlightening and pretty much what I have been told off the record....

Nothing will change.............................................................................................................

BLM01

First Grade
Well spotted....I think the Gordon interview pretty much shows you what the club is thinking....very enlightening and pretty much what I have been told off the record....

Nothing will change.............................................................................................................
Of course!..that it's 99 ;)

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Whether Mary should be the coach or not should not be decided after five games of the season it should have been decided after the end of the season. This is just ridiculous
Yep and all the excuses about players stability and any other crap they trot out is nonsense, the management want il duce as the coach and stuff what us fans think about it. Wonder what fans that took up membership this year think about his re-signing

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I’ve only just heard. I am sick of our stupid board. So he has been resigned for almost looking good for a while but then not doing anything. For leaving half his bench on the sideline while our 15 play the other sides 17. For negligence leaving a player with a broken arm on the field for 20 mins with fresh bench players available.for burning out late in seasons, or is it because of the way in which he brings on young talent? As with many of you, I have nothing against him and loved him as a player but he is not a top line coach. The board is a joke! I don’t wish Mary ill but I was really looking forward to seeing what our team could do with a new coach soon. Mary was given more than enough rope. I can’t believe it!
The person with football knowledge would have been the chief advisor to the Board. Maybe the old boys deal was; you can have the CEO job providing you openly support the re-signing of Mary.

Mark D

Juniors
Actually thought we had a good year last year and only pipped by a point by Souths in the end ... The players clearly want to play for Mary which is a massive plus so lets get on with it Red V faithful... it’s done ... bring on Manly and then the best day and game of the regular season to follow.

BLM01

First Grade
You're a cruel man:)
Enjoy your sojourn;)
Yes as I said on other posts I am going to the game this Saturday and when I run into Mary I just might shake his hand and congratulate him :oops:, but not if we lose

And because he is our career coach I am back before Round 12 so I expect the club to be on no less than 16 competition points when I get back and hanging around the Top 5.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors

"development"? is that why half the juniors barely improve from u20's under his 'guidance?' and is that also why he's barely developed as a coach himself? Please.

Life's Good

Coach
Dragons confirm McGregor contract extension
Dragons Den
r0_0_4435_2957_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STAYING PUT: Dragons coach Paul McGregor has been re-signed for two more seasons. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is on track to become the joint-venture's longest serving coach, with the club confirming a contract extension for the next two years.

The 51-year-old club great has penned a deal that will extend his tenure to seven seasons at the helm, taking the club to the finals two of four campaigns.

The new deal will also end what would have been prolonged speculation around McGregor's future throughout the 2019 campaign and allow him to focus on the campaign at hand that currently sits at 3-2 after five rounds.

"To have a good focus and purpose for the next two seasons is really comforting," McGregor said.

"To my extended family, in the players and staff, I feel very fortunate to be able to continue working with such quality people," McGregor said.

"The enjoyment I get out of coaching this proud club is something I look forward to every day.

"There is still a real appreciation of what 2019 is to bring too. My players are always my first priority and their needs come before anything else.

"There have been positive signs already. Team cohesion is strong and performance is spirited. We've had our challenges with the draw's scheduling but our game is growing and we keep improving which is the important part."

Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston said the decision to re-sign McGregor was one made on the basis of several factors.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-confirm-mcgregor-contract-extension/?cs=3713

upload_2019-4-18_12-13-16.jpeg

getsmarty

Immortal
Great news and congratulations to Paul McGregor.. well deserved

Cowboys to sign former Australian schoolboys hooker Reece Robson from Dragons

The Cowboys are set to win the battle to sign exciting young Dragons hooker Reece Robson.

The 20-year-old Robson broke into first-grade last season and looked the goods in his two games in the Big Red V.

But with established hooker Cameron McInnes able to play 80 minutes a week, Robson has had a frustrating time at the Dragons.

He faces a similar dilemma at the Cowboys, where Jake Granville is the No.1 hooker, but Granville does not always play full games and coach Paul Green has been using veteran Kurt Baptiste in his 17-man rotation.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F00a40190-7b51-4f15-93b7-12680fa1c5b5

Reece Robson in action for the Junior Kangaroos. (Getty)
A host of clubs, including the Bulldogs, have been chasing Robson, who was the Dragons’ NSW Cup Player of the Year last season.

But Wide World of Sports has learned that the former Australian Schoolboy has all but come to terms with the Cowboys.

The news will come as a boost to Cowboys fans, who have been unhappy with the club’s poor start to the season.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/signin...contract/18bf90fd-41a0-4cf4-9b1b-087a3482866b

getsmarty

Immortal
Wasn't talking about Blacker....let's just agree to disagree.

The Cowboys are set to win the battle to sign exciting young Dragons hooker Reece Robson.

The 20-year-old Robson broke into first-grade last season and looked the goods in his two games in the Big Red V.

But with established hooker Cameron McInnes able to play 80 minutes a week, Robson has had a frustrating time at the Dragons.

He faces a similar dilemma at the Cowboys, where Jake Granville is the No.1 hooker, but Granville does not always play full games and coach Paul Green has been using veteran Kurt Baptiste in his 17-man rotation.

A host of clubs, including the Bulldogs, have been chasing Robson, who was the Dragons’ NSW Cup Player of the Year last season.

But Wide World of Sports has learned that the former Australian Schoolboy has all but come to terms with the Cowboys.

The news will come as a boost to Cowboys fans, who have been unhappy with the club’s poor start to the season.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/signin...contract/18bf90fd-41a0-4cf4-9b1b-087a3482866b

KogarahWarrior

Juniors

Nice work Mary you absolute idiot. What is it with this guy and turning away young prospects... fmd