What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We can win the Premiership......

Gareth67

First Grade
Premiership ? It’s a bit early as yet to be thinking about it ( although certainly a most pleasant thought ) .

What I am glad about is that we have NOT started the season with all guns blazing , but hopefully building up as the year continues and reaching our peak at the appropriate time .

And that is NOT in May or June , but September into October then we will really give this competition an almighty shake .

denis preston

First Grade
When Lomax scored his try, people started chanting his name in the grandstand...I've been going to the footy for 30 years and can't recall the last time fans chanted the name of one player.
Thats because most in the ground couldn't work out why he wasn't brought on when we were 24 points ahead ! FFS Vaughan was warming up again with 10 mins to go and i was going to have a heart attack if he came on again before Jak after hobbling off before !

Dragonsamy

Bench
This team still has a lack of speed problem. Dufty is the only really fast guy. The forwards with JDB are as far as I can see, by far the best in the competition. A starting pack of Graham, Vaughan, McInnes, Frizz, Sims, JDB with K. Sims, Host, Leilua, Lawrie, Robson fighting for 3 spots on the bench is an embarrassment of riches.

Glenn agree but you forgot Tariq

ALSGI

Bench
Yes indeed enjoy the win but don't cloud it with statements about winning the comp.
We have had 2 x 1 point wins against mediocre sides and put a score on the wooden spooners who played 1 of the competition heavy weights the week before and in amongst it we lost to the side coming 2nd last.
So indeed let's enjoy the win but stop with the unnecessary hype about how good we are going.
You’re hilarious.

You say, enjoy but don’t cloud it, yes enjoy the win but stop with the unnecessary hype about how good we are going.

You point out how shit we really are because we only just beat shit teams and now wooden spooners.

So f**kcing negative, even your attempts at clouding your posts with positivity end up with your monotonous negative crap.

Sad.

Old Timer

Coach
You’re hilarious.

You say, enjoy but don’t cloud it, yes enjoy the win but stop with the unnecessary hype about how good we are going.

You point out how shit we really are because we only just beat shit teams and now wooden spooners.

So f**kcing negative, even your attempts at clouding your posts with positivity end up with your monotonous negative crap.

Sad.
As usual a misinterpretation of what I posted
Stating facts of what we have achieved is not being negative
I am merely saying that it is way to premature to talk about winning the comp as a result what has transpired thus far.

slippery5

Juniors
...if today represents a blueprint for the rest of the year:
Forwards dominating
Hunt & Norman giving each room needed to flourish
Defence resembling the Bennett era
Pride in the jersey

Sure, it’s only the Bulldogs and they have owned us way too many times but not today.

This green whistle is some good sh*t...
Is this cut & paste from 2018?

...if today represents a blueprint for the rest of the year:
Forwards dominating
Hunt & Norman giving each room needed to flourish
Defence resembling the Bennett era
Pride in the jersey

Sure, it’s only the Bulldogs and they have owned us way too many times but not today.

This green whistle is some good sh*t...
We finally have some talented halves that can bust games wide open BUT it really depends on whether or not the forwards can dominate proceedings.
Against Canterbury, Vaughn trampled all over their pack and the other forwards followed his example.
The end result was plenty of room for Hunt and Norman to strut their stuff.
So our pattern each season is a fade out that coincides with the forwards tanking.
Until now, McGregor has not had a clue as to how to arrest that dynamic.
Here's a new season - let's see if anything different happens this year.
Zac Lomax on the bench as an interchange gives me no confidence that we are rotating our forwards properly.
In pervious years we often only used 3 replacements or token minutes for the 4th bench player.
I see nothing different this year so far.
It will start to bite second half of the season.

Crush

Coach
Is anyone watching the Roosters right now?
You can forget about any team beating this team.
Perfect in defense and incredible in attack. There is no team in their league.
Its back to back for them.

ALSGI

Bench
Is anyone watching the Roosters right now?
You can forget about any team beating this team.
Perfect in defense and incredible in attack. There is no team in their league.
Its back to back for them.
At our best we can beat them and the purple scum. We haven’t seen our best yet this year and we’re building nicely.

Crush

Coach
At our best we can beat them and the purple scum. We haven’t seen our best yet this year and we’re building nicely.
Love the confidence but no way.
Have you seen what Tedesco and Latrell are doing?
Keary and Cronk?
They have once in a generation players in that team. Latrell Mitchell is another Greg Inglis if not better.
We have a good solid team but not 1 superstar. Roosters have superstars in spades because they operate without a salary cap and excellent management.
We can beat the Roosters on an off day but both teams at their best we lose by 20 IMO.

ALSGI

Bench
Keary and Cronk?
They have once in a generation players in that team. Latrell Mitchell is another Greg Inglis if not better.
We have a good solid team but not 1 superstar. Roosters have superstars in spades because they operate without a salary cap and excellent management.
We can beat the Roosters on an off day but both teams at their best we lose by 20 IMO.
Yep, they look good, especially Latrell Mitchell
but there’s a grubiness to his game I don’t like. I’d love to see Aitken do and Inglis on him in attack and get him under his rib cage in D.

possm

Coach
Keary and Cronk?
I'd say that we have a very good pack of forwards and probably the best pack if De Belin is on the field.

We have a pair of halves that are now starting to click and will get even better as the season goes on provided our forwards can at least hold their own.

It is in our outside backs where the problem lies with the Dragons team. We were promised speed but apart from Dufty there is no comparison between our outside backs and that of the Roosters. That is where our problem has been for the past few years and despite losing Nightingale and Macdonald for this season, we did not invest in first grade wingers with speed. Surely the dollars were there but unfortunately our two new recruits are not up to the task.

Big fast wingers of first grade standard would have made all the difference to the squad of 2019.

Last edited:
We are still no where near teams like Easts on paper and we're playing $1.5+million cap short without Gaz and Jack.

If Norman shows he can be a consistent top level half, and we can spend Widdop's money wisely, the window may not necessarily be closed.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If DeBelin is allowed to play and IF Lomax plays centre, then I think we have the second best team in the comp, but Mary can't even select the best 17 each week. If we could have Lomax at right centre and DeBelin there, I think we are a genuine chance to win the comp. If we can make the grand final, anything can happen on the day.