What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

greenBV4

Bench
Pity it's not known via tv, newspaper or radio !
Its been all over social media, emails and online ads for 2 weeks now, from storm themselves, ticketek and aami park

It might've been mentioned in one of the papers, idk though cos I dont read them, and TV is expensive. The game was also mentioned on radio, dont know if the deal has been though

unforgiven

Bench
Pity it's not known via tv, newspaper or radio !
I spent 8 hrs driving around Sydney today and I made a conscious effort to pay attention to NRL ads I came across. I heard radio adverts for the Dogs V Rabbits (differing ads some by the NRL and others by the Dogs), Eels v Tigers, Sharks v Panthers (a game of thrones themed ad), the Anzac day match and for corporate packages for upcoming Eels games at Bankwest. I saw billboards and posters for the Dogs V Rabbits and some around the Penrith area as well. There was a huge sign on the M4 stating that Bankwest stadium is now open and to get to a game, and saw a Eels ad on one of those big electronic signs that changed before I had a chance to see what exactly it was for.

The ads you keep pushing for already exist!

greenBV4

Bench
Melbourne storm text me today - kids for free tomorrow night.
Kids go free, Friday night, Good Friday public holiday, GF rematch, Cronk's first game back at AAMI & no clash with AFL

Hopefully (and probably) will be a good crowd! And like someone mentioned earlier, it could become a permanent good Friday fixture?

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I spent 8 hrs driving around Sydney today and I made a conscious effort to pay attention to NRL ads I came across. I heard radio adverts for the Dogs V Rabbits (differing ads some by the NRL and others by the Dogs), Eels v Tigers, Sharks v Panthers (a game of thrones themed ad), the Anzac day match and for corporate packages for upcoming Eels games at Bankwest. I saw billboards and posters for the Dogs V Rabbits and some around the Penrith area as well. There was a huge sign on the M4 stating that Bankwest stadium is now open and to get to a game, and saw a Eels ad on one of those big electronic signs that changed before I had a chance to see what exactly it was for.

The ads you keep pushing for already exist!

That's great. May they continue. It's dissappointing that the international games are not so visible. But that's great to know . Thanks. And I'm sure it makes a difference.
And I believe you. That's anecdotal evidence at play.

Stallion

First Grade
I’m sure it was probably mentioned on SEN during the Storm Hour radio show. Oh, and the one time I flicked through a newspaper this week there was an ad for tomorrow’s game.

Hope so! Should be a big crowd. Deserves a full house.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wow, 34017 at the Gabba, Thursday night football, who’s watching?
Collingwood are the highest drawing away side v Brisbane at the Gabba, so the crowd is hardly a surprise, particularly given Brisbane were 3-1 after several seasons in the cellar.

Not really comparable or a relevant point to make.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Collingwood are the highest drawing away side v Brisbane at the Gabba, so the crowd is hardly a surprise, particularly given Brisbane were 3-1 after several seasons in the cellar.

But fans hate Thursday nights, well nrl fans only apparently. 34k to 10k yeh best not to compare!

horrie hastings

First Grade

The game at the Gabba last year against the same opposition on a Sunday afternoon 4.40 pm start attracted only 21,000 so I think it is a relevant point to make seeing it was on a Thursday night, yeah maybe the 3-1 start to the season made a bit of a difference to crowd but really I think the only time the AFL would get big crowds on a Thursday night would be at a game in Melbourne itself, I have to admit I flicked the channels because I was getting peed of with the Cronulla vs Penrith game and was surprised about the crowd at the Gabba, you could actually see people sitting the normally empty coloured seats and it looked pretty full.

DC_fan

Coach
Even the A-League game last night between Sydney FC and Perth Glory outdrew the NRL. The game played at Jubilee Oval pulled in a crowd of 11,227.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
But fans hate Thursday nights, well nrl fans only apparently. 34k to 10k yeh best not to compare!

Even have a public holiday the next day and couldn’t build a respectable crowd number. Excuses? People on holidays? Traffic? Big shopping sales on? AFL was a little anomaly but still makes you wonder about the big difference.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Kids go free, Friday night, Good Friday public holiday, GF rematch, Cronk's first game back at AAMI & no clash with AFL

Hopefully (and probably) will be a good crowd! And like someone mentioned earlier, it could become a permanent good Friday fixture?

Ticket sales look better than v broncos so surely it will nudge 20k!

I am in Melbourne and seriously considering going! I am a big fan of permanent fixtures but they need something to build off, the grand final is one thing, need controversy, close finishes or brawls to strengthen the rivalry then run with it for years.

Stallion

First Grade
Even have a public holiday the next day and couldn’t build a respectable crowd number. Excuses? People on holidays? Traffic? Big shopping sales on? AFL was a little anomaly but still makes you wonder about the big difference.

One thing I can't fathom is why didn't the Broncos have this particular Thursday night for a home game? Surely a public holiday the next day would be an advantage in drawing a decent crowd in Brisbane? Cronulla v Penrith was destined to draw poorly. Both teams not in form. My prediction of 12000 was being generous. (not far out either ) . As a scheduler a big drawing club with a holiday on the following day should have been allocated. Another missed crowd maximizing opportunity gone.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Yep I think the AFL in Brisbane yesterday was a bit of a anomaly but Brisbane with a 3-1 start to the season and a public holiday the next day would be the main reason for the large crowd. Swans Have pulled over 30,000 before for a Thursday night game, their last one last week was still over 26,000 despite playing poorly. Any way Shark Park should have pulled at least 15,000 at least last night with a public holiday the following day, have to admit when watching it last night the crowd looked more like 7.5 -8 k and not the 10k that was posted.

Last edited:

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Yep I think the AFL in Brisbane yesterday was a bit of a anomaly but Brisbane with a 3-1 start to the season and a public holiday the next day would be the main reason for the large crowd. Swans Have pulled over 30,000 before for a Thursday night game, their last one last week was still over 26,000 despite playing poorly. Any way Shark Park should have pulled at least 15,000 at least night with a public holiday the following day, have to admit when watching it last night the crowd looked more like 7.5 -8 k and not the 10k that was posted.

Not great crowd pullers the sharks, but I agree, a pub hol today should have seen a real boost to the crowd number compared to normal Thursday night fixture

Latest posts