What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

ThingFish

Juniors
I know alot of people wont be happy, But James Roberts is coming back to Souths
Ch9 were just reporting this as the BIG rumour that is doing the rounds and gathering momentum.

Besides his personal history, every time I’ve seen him in real life he’s been in a moon boot. Also he’s currently recovering from an Achilles injury, so who knows when he can actually start a game. According to today’s Brydon’s injury update both Douehi and Burns are both a month away, and Corey Denniss just had shoulder surgery and is 3-4 months out. Our outside back stocks are dropping like flys.

RunRabbitRun69

Juniors
Who's in the last year of their deal at Souths?
George Burgess and Ethan Lowe.

Then there are kids like Albert Hopoate, Greg Leleisiuao, Izaia Perese, Jayden Okunbur, Sione Katoa, William Kennedy and Bernard Lewis coming off contract to cover our depth in the backs.

If we're looking for bigger names, Kyle Feldt, Corey Oates and Jordan Rapana are all available.

Travitoh

First Grade
George Burgess and Ethan Lowe.

Then there are kids like Albert Hopoate, Greg Leleisiuao, Izaia Perese, Jayden Okunbur, Sione Katoa, William Kennedy and Bernard Lewis coming off contract to cover our depth in the backs.

If we're looking for bigger names, Kyle Feldt, Corey Oates and Jordan Rapana are all available.

Leleisiuao had huge wraps on him 12 months ago, what's happened to him?

Feldt could be a shrewd purchase.

callmack1

Staff member
I don't think we can afford to wait until 2020 to go after a marquee player to attempt to replace GI (which is impossible). In my opinion, we are right in the middle of a Premiership window, we have the potential to do it this year. That is why I'd go after Roberts and try and get him this year because with him in the side our chances for the Premiership are that much stronger.

Now, I'm all for future planning and we don't want the 'stop gap' approach but we have an opportunity this year to do something great and it would be a real shame to let that opportunity slip away. You can always say "we'll still be up there next year, so we can wait to sign someone," but you just never know what will happen so I think we need to take the opportunity now.

RunRabbitRun69

Juniors
I don't think we can afford to wait until 2020 to go after a marquee player to attempt to replace GI (which is impossible). In my opinion, we are right in the middle of a Premiership window, we have the potential to do it this year. That is why I'd go after Roberts and try and get him this year because with him in the side our chances for the Premiership are that much stronger.

Now, I'm all for future planning and we don't want the 'stop gap' approach but we have an opportunity this year to do something great and it would be a real shame to let that opportunity slip away. You can always say "we'll still be up there next year, so we can wait to sign someone," but you just never know what will happen so I think we need to take the opportunity now.
Roberts can't tackle and is a disruptive figure amongst a playing group.

I think once Burns returns, our back line is more than capable of winning a comp.

Everyone's gone fro. Being on Corey Allan's dick to not being happy with him bring part of our first choice back line.

I don't get where people are coming from here.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

I love to hate him but I think the only player that’s near GI’s capability as a player is Latrell Mitchell. God I would love to see Roosters fans reactions if we stole him. I reckon the roosters started a war when they took Crichton under our noses and I think Souths will want to get 1 up on them.

Cameron Munster is another one but the storm have locked him up on a huge contract.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I love to hate him but I think the only player that’s near GI’s capability as a player is Latrell Mitchell. God I would love to see Roosters fans reactions if we stole him. I reckon the roosters started a war when they took Crichton under our noses and I think Souths will want to get 1 up on them.

Cameron Munster is another one but the storm have locked him up on a huge contract.
Roosters have been stealing players from us since Coote.

Mr Spock!

Referee

I prefer the other Easts centre.

Plus he's not a knobhead.

RunRabbitRun69

Juniors

No chance in hell would the Roosters release him early mate.

Especially not to us

callmack1

Staff member
According to Sporting News, looks like Roberts to Souths isn't happening,

James Roberts rules out return to Sydney amid Rabbitohs rumours

James Roberts has reportedly told Brisbane he has no plans to return to Sydney and is committed to Red Hill in the wake of whispers throwing him up as a Greg Inglis replacement at South Sydney.

Misinformed reports throughout the week suggested Roberts' ill-discipline has placed him in Anthony Seibold's bad books and his close relationship with Wayne Bennett could see him reunite with the master coach at Redfern.

Roberts avoided sanction after a drunken photo of him circulated social media and the club expressed their disappointment in his lack of dedication to his rehab after sustaining an Achilles injury the night before against the Dragons.

But Brisbane haven't made contact with South Sydney with plans to release him, or vice versa, with The Sydney Morning Herald's Andrew Webster revealing rumours of ongoing negotiations are completely false.

''As I understand there has been no contact with Souths whatsoever even to the point where James Roberts has actually said to those close to him 'I do not want to go to Sydney because there is nothing but trouble for me', and I think that is a mature thing for him to say,'' Webster told Sky Sports' Big Sports Breakfast.

''I think the chances of James Roberts coming back to Souths are basically zero and I don't think Souths have even entertained it.

''They've been copping a lot of interest from other managers in the wake of the GI (Greg Inglis) retirement, but definitely nothing from James Roberts whatsoever.''

Bennett addressed the media on Thursday blaming the media for sending the rumour mill into a spin.

''I've had no conversations about James Roberts or any other player at this point in time,'' Bennett said.

''It starts with you guys sitting in your coffee rooms thinking 'what am I going to make up today?' Then you start ringing me up and saying 'have you been talking to so and so?' I don't even know where so and so lives, I probably don't even have his phone number but you all probably think I've been talking to him.''

The Rabbitohs are hoping to clean up some extra funds after the loss of their skipper and a conspiracy theory has been thrown around that the club has found a salary cap loophole that would free up $1.5 million.

South Sydney have formally applied to the NRL to have some or all of Inglis' remaining 2019 wage deducted from their salary cap, but the figure is yet to be decided.

''The NRL, because they have been in court this week, haven't even seen a proposal from Souths yet about what the settlement with GI looks like or what the job description with what he's going to do with Souths looks like,'' Webster said.

''As I understand they'll probably try and pay it out over six years, but like all those NRL clubs it will be interesting to see how much exactly they carry on their cap for the next year and a half because it sets a very interesting precedent, particularly for clubs who have players coming towards the end of their career, that want to squeeze a couple more (dollars) out of them and just how they will pay them towards the end of their time in the game.''

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
So far the names that have been thrown around are Mitchell, Staggs, Shihabasaki, Lomax and Roberts.

I think for me it's probably Mitchell>Roberts>Lomax >Staggs >
Shihabasaki

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

Parramatta reportedly still circling South Sydney prop George Burgess

He turned down a bumper offer to leave Redfern and join Parramatta in January - but the Eels haven't given up on luring South Sydney prop George Burgess out west before the June 30 deadline.

The 26-year-old comes off contract at the end of 2019 but turned down a multi-million dollar offer and long-term security to remain with the Rabbitohs.

New Bunnies boss Wayne Bennett, who has coached the England forward at Test level, successfully argued against releasing George, who remains an important part of a pack that includes his twin brother Tom and older sibling Sam.

But the Eels, who have room in their salary cap after releasing Corey Norman to St George Illawarra in the off-season, are reportedly considering having another crack at Burgess in the coming weeks.

"There's some whispers around the traps this week against that that might be back on," News Limited journalist and Sporting News Australia contributor Brent Read told Triple M's The Rush Hour With MG.

"Now I checked with Souths and they said they're unaware of it but there's just a bit of mail that maybe the George Burgess deal hasn't died … and that maybe the deal's back on the table.

"It's just one of those ones I think we've got to keep an eye on. He's obviously got until June 30 to make that move if he decides to go that way.

"Wayne (Bennett) was obviously reluctant to let him go but there's a long-term deal on the table for him at Parramatta - big money - and they're desperate to strengthen the middle of their park with a front-rower.

"I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying keep an eye on it because there's some smoke around it."

RunRabbitRun69

Juniors
So far the names that have been thrown around are Mitchell, Staggs, Shihabasaki, Lomax and Roberts.

I think for me it's probably Mitchell>Roberts>Lomax >Staggs >
Shihabasaki
Roberts has been disproven and Mitchell is under contract.

So are the other three.

Did people seriously still not learn after the Roberts story was debunked?

RunRabbitRun69

Juniors
From Sporting News,

Parramatta reportedly still circling South Sydney prop George Burgess

He turned down a bumper offer to leave Redfern and join Parramatta in January - but the Eels haven't given up on luring South Sydney prop George Burgess out west before the June 30 deadline.

The 26-year-old comes off contract at the end of 2019 but turned down a multi-million dollar offer and long-term security to remain with the Rabbitohs.

New Bunnies boss Wayne Bennett, who has coached the England forward at Test level, successfully argued against releasing George, who remains an important part of a pack that includes his twin brother Tom and older sibling Sam.

But the Eels, who have room in their salary cap after releasing Corey Norman to St George Illawarra in the off-season, are reportedly considering having another crack at Burgess in the coming weeks.

"There's some whispers around the traps this week against that that might be back on," News Limited journalist and Sporting News Australia contributor Brent Read told Triple M's The Rush Hour With MG.

"Now I checked with Souths and they said they're unaware of it but there's just a bit of mail that maybe the George Burgess deal hasn't died … and that maybe the deal's back on the table.

"It's just one of those ones I think we've got to keep an eye on. He's obviously got until June 30 to make that move if he decides to go that way.

"Wayne (Bennett) was obviously reluctant to let him go but there's a long-term deal on the table for him at Parramatta - big money - and they're desperate to strengthen the middle of their park with a front-rower.

"I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying keep an eye on it because there's some smoke around it."
The Roberts story got debunked, so Murdoch media had to come up with another story to troll Souths fans.

We're in a better position to retain George than ever