What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

Springs09

Juniors
2014- Premiers vs runners up
2015- 5th vs 7th
2016- 7th vs 12th
2017- 11th vs 12th
2018- 3rd vs 12th

I think it’s pretty clear what happened

That’s where they finished, not where they were at the time. For example you’d think 2015 would have a bigger crowd than 2014 as it’s a GF rematch.

There’s obviously bigger problems than form.

Stallion

First Grade
So does this mean Melbourne is prime target for relocation to Central; Coast ,as bandana head predicted years ago?

It was a dissappointing crowd! However despite this the Melbourne Storm have been probably the only shining light for this competition coming out of the Super league fiasco of 1997. Their tv ratings achievements and adding to the rugbyleague footprint is better than all other scenarios since the carve up and dismantling of a once progressive competition prior to 1997.

T-Boon

Coach
No it won't and no it isn't. We should be aiming for 40k+ for the Good Friday game like we used to get. How we gonna get that in a 30k stadium?

What we want is those that do go wanting to come back which does not happen at ANZ, everybody leaves and swears never to return.
At Bankwest people don't want to leave.

greenBV4

Bench
Storm crowd was lower than I expected, disappointing but not horrible.
Trains have been screwed and will be for a while longer still, plus a few might of decided to get tickets for the ANZAC game instead, which normally sells out or at least goes close

Shark62

Juniors
Storm crowd was lower than I expected, disappointing but not horrible.
Trains have been screwed and will be for a while longer still, plus a few might of decided to get tickets for the ANZAC game instead, which normally sells out or at least goes close
So now we are making excuses for Melbourne? Trains and Anzac Day games dont stop afl fans attending in Melbourne. It’s more likely that 17000 is a great nrl crowd in Melbourne at this time. More work to do!

greenBV4

Bench
So now we are making excuses for Melbourne? Trains and Anzac Day games dont stop afl fans attending in Melbourne. It’s more likely that 17000 is a great nrl crowd in Melbourne at this time. More work to do!
not excuses just pointing out some reasons why..
I said it was disappointing, I predicted a good crowd around 20k, but it also wasn't horrible (like 10k in the shire)

I also thought the Bomber's crowd at Marvel would've been higher, but then again I don't really know what they normally get

I agree though with more work to do (tbh there should always be more work to do), 17k about the average for Melbourne, but this was an above average game!

Saint Doc

Coach
That’s where they finished, not where they were at the time. For example you’d think 2015 would have a bigger crowd than 2014 as it’s a GF rematch.

There’s obviously bigger problems than form.

Thanks captain obvious. The quoted crowds were since 2014. Clearly both clubs (although dogs moreso) have had a drastic downturn in form since then, as evidenced by their end of season positions.

Shark62

Juniors
I said it was disappointing, I predicted a good crowd around 20k, but it also wasn't horrible (like 10k in the shire)

I also thought the Bomber's crowd at Marvel would've been higher, but then again I don't really know what they normally get
The sharks crowd was poor. No excuse for that one either.

Big Moose

Juniors
Having just moved away this year being Melbourne born and bred this has been a concern for a few years. Storm basically win all the time and are not growing crowds. Most games are 13-14k. The average Victorian dislikes the sport and their media love sh*tting on all other codes. Unless you grow up with it you might not understand. “AFL people” really hate it That stadium and team should be getting 20k a week. God help them when Bellamy retires. The CEO clearly does sweet FA to engage NRL and government support

Jamberoo

Juniors

I agree though with more work to do (tbh there should always be more work to do), 17k about the average for Melbourne, but this was an above average game!
Most of the train lines are operating as normal. There is car parking aplenty. Maybe a few hundred put off by track works. Anyway, 17k is solid for an NRL game anywhere beside Brisbane, especially with no away supporters. Storm have never had the bandwagon support that the ‘enemy territory’ AFL teams like Swans and Lions have had when they are/were winning.
RL is has never been hip or trendy in Melbourne. Just a little bit bogan. It will never be mainstream. The average person here just doesn’t get it and never will. But most have a casual interest. People on the train see a Storm scarf or jersey and ask how they went, but they would have no idea who was playing or know any players beside Cam Smith. That is just the reality of being in the epicentre of AFL. It will never change.
Melbourne Victory support has dropped right off, but the Storm is steady with a great core following which is a good thing.

hutch

First Grade
Having just moved away this year being Melbourne born and bred this has been a concern for a few years. Storm basically win all the time and are not growing crowds. Most games are 13-14k. The average Victorian dislikes the sport and their media love sh*tting on all other codes. Unless you grow up with it you might not understand. “AFL people” really hate it That stadium and team should be getting 20k a week. God help them when Bellamy retires. The CEO clearly does sweet FA to engage NRL and government support

Storm crowds have grown significantly over the years.

https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/melbourne.html

Stallion

First Grade
I visit Melbourne every year. The Storm are part of the sports culture down there. They need more media support but are doing well. From what I've seen junior clubs are growing in numbers. So it's not all doom and gloom. It's probably a shining light when you compare to the rest of the league these days.

Springs09

Juniors
Thanks captain obvious. The quoted crowds were since 2014. Clearly both clubs (although dogs moreso) have had a drastic downturn in form since then, as evidenced by their end of season positions.

If it’s so obvious then why did you put where they finished at the end of the year instead of the position they were in at the time?

Where a team finishes has nothing to do with crowds earlier in the year. Also shouldn’t the crowds be getting bigger again since since Souths are in the best form since their premiership? But nope, still going down.