What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Manly

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Corey Norman has added the brains? Never thought I would hear that....
Well you explain why we are definately playing smarter this year and Norman is the major change. When in the past 5 years have you ever seen us do something smart to win a specific game? Never is the answer. Norman may do dumb things off field but he has a huge football brain.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Well you explain why we are definately playing smarter this year and Norman is the major change. When in the past 5 years have you ever seen us do something smart to win a specific game? Never is the answer. Norman may do dumb things off field but he has a huge football brain.
Quite literally probably every game.

Just because you can't notice it, or it doesn't always work, doesn't mean there wasn't a plan at all.

If you check my previous post you didn't respond to, like it said, the fact the players straight up admitted the plan renders this whole thing pointless. They wouldn't lie for shits

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
f**k McInness is a machine. He’s been great this season and I reckon he’s been our best tonight.

I must’ve watched a different game.

Last night, McInnes was exceptionally quiet and often went the wrong way at dummy half.

No spark (again), just tackling.

It wasn’t his best game at all,

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Quite literally probably every game.

Just because you can't notice it, or it doesn't always work, doesn't mean there wasn't a plan at all.

If you check my previous post you didn't respond to, like it said, the fact the players straight up admitted the plan renders this whole thing pointless. They wouldn't lie for shits
Mate, where did the players say that McGregor was the one who came up with the 'plan'? Indeed they didn't because they wouldn't lie for shits.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Bad calls even themselves out over a year.
You didn't clarify that in your post. I agree that over a season it tends to even out.
Exactly, good teams don't give a hoot about bad decisions. Good teams are resilient, not bitchy victims like a lot of supporters are. We did great to overcome a host of bad calls.
People are allowed to express their opinions without being called bitchy victims. And I think it's worth noting that players often complain to the ref on the field, and it's not unusual for a coach to complain about refs during and after the game

If I may, just two questions:
1. Are you saying that fans should never question a ref decision, particularly those blatant errors?
2. The fans at the ground last night booed the refs when they stuffed up, as most home crowds do, are they bitchy victims as well?

denis preston

First Grade
Just looking at some of the stats tonight:
* 44% possession
* 6-0 penalty count against us for a period there
* 12 missed tackles
* three players 40+ tackles
* 347 tackles

That is an awesome win given the circumstances

Also a 14,600 crowd, not bad against Manly.
Yes great effort but the tackle count and not giving any time at all for the 17th man shows the coach has learnt nothing. Did any of the nuff nuff reporters query him to why Lomax didn't get a run ?
We could be on course for our annual June meltdown.

j0nesy

Bench
I must’ve watched a different game.

Last night, McInnes was exceptionally quiet and often went the wrong way at dummy half.

No spark (again), just tackling.

It wasn’t his best game at all,

Meh, I thought he was excellent. Made plenty of dummy half meters and provided good service in addition to topping the tackle count. Most people seem to agree with me in the 3-2-1 thread.

I posted that close to half time (from memory) and he did quieter second. I think I rated him our second best player in the end.

The Damo

Juniors
Y

yeah I read your post, no mention of the plan/strategy to only use 16 players in a 17 player game, because that part of it is left to the coach only and he comes up with donuts every week. I give no credit to McGregor for the kicking strategy, he never came up with anything previously in 5 years and daresay he had bugger all to do with coming up with the kicking strategy - Corey Norman has added the brains this team needed all along.
Did you read the last sentence of the first paragraph? Pretty clear implication.

The Damo

Juniors
How much better does Luciano look playing in the Middle
He will grow in confidence week by week if Mary utilises him this way
The last 2 weeks our centres are also holding solid in defence
Don't know if it's an improvement or just the opposition but it looked good
Yeah Luc looked good with a simplified role.
And the edge defence looks better organised, early days but it’s good to see.
I’m super impressed with Lawrie. Great motor, just keeps coming and was stinging guys in defence.

Saints111

Juniors
I h
Said it after seeing him play one game , he will cast us games , and he could have tonight .... Yea like I said he is strong and OK close to the line but terrible with high balls and very slow reacting ....
I have never in my lifetime seen a player look so uncomfortable and lost

Willow

Assistant Moderator

True_Believer

Juniors
Yeah Luc looked good with a simplified role.
And the edge defence looks better organised, early days but it’s good to see.
I’m super impressed with Lawrie. Great motor, just keeps coming and was stinging guys in defence.

I agree about Lawrie. I'll admit that I was a bit concerned about his game based on last year and the trials. Although he would run hard, he seemed not to make an impact on the line all that often. But he's been great starting at 13. I'd be disappointed if they didn't retain him when Jack returned.

j0nesy

Bench
It did look lazy, but I don't think he was on the field long enough to be exhausted. According to NRL stats, he played 36 minutes, conceding two penalties.

Tariq Sims played 80 minutes btw. I mention that because someone posted earlier that he was a bit quiet. He stood up in defence imo.

Source: https://www.nrl.com/draw/nrl-premiership/2019/round-6/dragons-v-sea-eagles/

Yeah that was me, I wasn’t suggesting he was playing badly. He was just quieter than usual in the first half. Solid but quiet. He picked it up a bit in the 2nd half and made some really solid hits. It was a tough game last night. You could hear the contact all night, they really gave it to Thompson and Sironen. For Sims him to not get a rest and continue to hit the way he was late in the 2nd half is very impressive.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yeah that was me, I wasn’t suggesting he was playing badly. He was just quieter than usual in the first half. Solid but quiet. He picked it up a bit in the 2nd half and made some really solid hits. It was a tough game last night. You could hear the contact all night, they really gave it to Thompson and Sironen. For Sims him to not get a rest and continue to hit the way he was late in the 2nd half is very impressive.
Actually it was your post that inspired me to check the stats. I was also impressed when I saw 80 minutes. Sims was often there to hurt them in the tackle, as you say even late in the match.

Not enough said about James Graham. He went total rabid in defence late in the game, I know he wasn't alone but he was leading the pack. Manly just couldn't get out of their own 20m zone. What an inspiration he must have been at a crucial part of the game.

j0nesy

Bench
Actually it was your post that inspired me to check the stats. I was also impressed when I saw 80 minutes. Sims was often there to hurt them in the tackle, as you say even late in the match.

Not enough said about James Graham. He went total rabid in defence late in the game, I know he wasn't alone but he was leading the pack. Manly just couldn't get out of their own 20m zone. What an inspiration he must have been at a crucial part of the game.

I know, where did he pull that from? It was like the James Graham of 5 years ago. The guy must be carrying all kinds of injuries from years of playing tough football as prop. That’s what I like about Graham, he’s a real competitor, really seems to lift at crucial moments of the game despite pain and fatigue. There was a game earlier in the Season (perhaps Brisbane) where he made two or three barnstorming runs out of nowhere, right when we really needed it. I’d suggest that if we weren’t in such PC times he’d be our captain.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I know, where did he pull that from? It was like the James Graham of 5 years ago. The guy must be carrying all kinds of injuries from years of playing tough football as prop. That’s what I like about Graham, he’s a real competitor, really seems to lift at crucial moments of the game despite pain and fatigue. There was a game earlier in the Season (perhaps Brisbane) where he made two or three barnstorming runs out of nowhere, right when we really needed it. I’d suggest that if we weren’t in such PC times he’d be our captain.
He is co-captain, along with McInnes and Frizell

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/16/tripadeal-nrl-team-announcement-round-6-v-sea-eagles/

Regardless of this, every player and referee sees him as a leader.

ozbuck

Juniors
You didn't clarify that in your post. I agree that over a season it tends to even out.
People are allowed to express their opinions without being called bitchy victims. And I think it's worth noting that players often complain to the ref on the field, and it's not unusual for a coach to complain about refs during and after the game

If I may, just two questions:
1. Are you saying that fans should never question a ref decision, particularly those blatant errors?
2. The fans at the ground last night booed the refs when they stuffed up, as most home crowds do, are they bitchy victims as well?

Hey mate, yeh individual games can be a little one sided at times, but longer periods of time I'm sure it evens out.

Absolutely, people can express opinions. However I feel the *way* people express them about refs is that the refs are secretly against us and this perception imbalance that makes people feel that we are on the bad end of the stick more than others clubs.

1. Of course they should be questioned by fans, and all involved... improvement can be made this way. But honestly refs have and will always make mistakes...it's just the same as you, I, and players. EXACTLY THE SAME. We are all fallible. I make stupid basic mistakes all the time. We all do. Refs do too. Players kicking out on the full from a kickoff. Simple goal kicks missed like last night and by South's halfback against manly a few weeks ago. Simple dropped balls...just like last night from preirera. It all happens. Refs are no different.

The expectation of near perfection of refs from ppl in the game is a big problem. The way I see it is that every game is just that: a game. And a game is like a drama, a spectacle...in the same way a theatre play is a drama. The point of a drama is to get the emotions ramped up. Good, bad, fortune, misfortune, etc are all involved. That IS the drama. That IS the game. When a ref makes a bad call that IS a part of the drama/game. Sometimes it stirs negative emotions, sometimes it stirs good emotions (e.g. Morris not be called he was out of play before our first try in 2010 GF... Big day for a lucky call).

It sucka when they go against us, but that happens to every team at some point. Such is life.

2. Of course the crowd can boo. The crowd are spectators but also part of the drama as well. The booing can perhaps influence the refs, it can fire up their team, etc.

The victim BS im talking about is about getting too caught up in bad calls and forgetting they go both ways at the end of the day (or year haha). It's allowing bad calls make one feel smaller and less empowered, rather than a non-victim player who will perceive this bad call as just another test to see how committed, resilient, and badass they are.

There is only one way: onwards. Moaning has no place.

Go get some!