What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
The main protagonist against our management regarding signings (or lack of) for the last 4-6 weeks has been Hooper and sometimes Hooper alone. He obviously has some agenda, however I have no idea what it might be.
Even Brent Reid (sp) who I don't always like said on NRL360 the other night, that our controlled approach to re-signing made sense given the circumstances of last years debacle and the review we had to have.
Kent of course is jumping on the Hooper bandwagon whenever he gets a chance but was noticeably silent when Reid was commenting the other night. The rest of the commentators/media on Fox's various shows are just running with whatever Hooper says like he is some knowledgeable expert.
I think his agenda is to sell media? Plus I think it’s fairly obvious his “source” rhymes with Jam Aboob

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mary is a rubbish coach, St George should be praised for rushing and re-signing a rubbish coach???

Hooper is a deadset oxygen thief.

Eelementary

Post Whore
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...h/news-story/86f4cb01bc9b8577daab565637aae48b

And look at this article from Snooper. Saints making us look like fools apparently. Reckons no player ever has signed a contract without knowing who the coach is going to be.

He has a point, though - the club expects the players to keep putting in, and the coach may or may not be offered a contract in two months' time...

I agree with what the club are trying to do, but I certainly understand Hooper's point of view.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Could be worse mate....I just read in this very thread that a so called Eels fan reckons Mary's Saints and Des' Deadshits have played better than we have because they played well against each other...?
Didn’t watch the game last night but i watched the Dragons Derp it up against the Knights to know they are a good squad that is poorly coached.

Bazal

Post Whore
Didn’t watch the game last night but i watched the Dragons Derp it up against the Knights to know they are a good squad that is poorly coached.

Yeah for sure. Although I still think the spine is very overrated.

But WTF is Zac Lomax doing on the bench when Tim LolFail is kicking like Esan Marsters? Mary's just let their only backup hooker go, too. So you just know if Cam McKeating goes down Mary will shift Hunt to 9 and put Jai Field or someone at six.

Actually knowing Mary he'd probably put Lomax at hooker....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah for sure. Although I still think the spine is very overrated.

But WTF is Zac Lomax doing on the bench when Tim LolFail is kicking like Esan Marsters? Mary's just let their only backup hooker go, too. So you just know if Cam McKeating goes down Mary will shift Hunt to 9 and put Jai Field or someone at six.

Actually knowing Mary he'd probably put Lomax at hooker....
Best one was playing Kordim Sims with a broken arm for 20mins.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
He has a point, though - the club expects the players to keep putting in, and the coach may or may not be offered a contract in two months' time...

I agree with what the club are trying to do, but I certainly understand Hooper's point of view.
I see it too, but the club was very clear on it's timeline. And I don't think it's too much to ask for the players to continue to put in. The were dismal last year and still have a bit to prove. We are still only 3/2. Good signs, but it's a long season.

TheRam

Coach
I watched the Manly V Dragons game last night. Id suggest neither of these teams are considered top 4 teams yet I saw two teams show toughness, agression and great attitude. My personal feeling is that both these teams showed more last night than our beloved Eels have shown to date in season 2019. There are some damn good teams this year and some like Penrith with enormous potential to improve . I dont think we are performing as well as some think. Definitely improved but a long way to go.
Tomorrow is a massive game for us. Its a must win and must play well game. No periods of lack of concentration or energy. I expect an awesome performance. It will show where we are heading. No excuses tomorrow.

These are my thoughts exactly. We have played well enough against crappy opposition and with a lot of help from the momentum of Ferguson at the back and then lost the last two against quality opponents who took it to us. Especially when Fergy got injured. Sure we showed some fight in both games, but that was about it.

The Canberra game was particularly very disappointing. We were out enthused, out muscled by a relatively small pack and out smarted. We were totally out classed. If we put in many more of those sorts of performances against the better teams, then the coach should not be resigned no matter what the crappy media headlines say.

This game tomorrow, if we don't win it, to me would be a very significant indicator of what this team is capable or not capable of. Sure it is football and anything can happen, but this is a huge game as we all know and we need the team to respond accordingly. If they can't rise to the occasion against a good solid team but hardly a world beater, then we are way behind where we want to be with these players and probably coach, that resigning most of them would be folly. If they can't do it, then at least try to get similar quality players that mentally can respond to instruction and occasion.

Gutho at this stage is the only player I would definitely sign on a significantly upgraded contract. Moses probably too, but not by to much. But he has definitely shown more of a level head and poise out there so far this season. But our forwards, still are not matching it for the full games against the better teams. N. Brown admittedly is a huge loss, but still the pack should be hunting better for all of the game. Something is wrong and I'm not sure if it is overall fitness, ability, lack of controlled aggression, or simply psychological, but the pack in particular need to hunt for the entire 80 mins tomorrow, or we will not get the 2 points against a very, very good defensive team if you let them be.

Motivation should not be a factor at all tomorrow, so lets see how good these players that the media are so in love with now, actually perform against a good opposition and a huge live and TV audience, with great expectation surrounding it. If we put in a disappointing performance, then I would start to look at different options and not re-sign many of these off contract players.

Just my thoughts.

ram raid

Bench
Scew gutho if he's holding out on what they've offered him. If he doesn't want to take that let him go priooritise signing Moses. I think he would be a good captain.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

If they’re off contract they have no choice but to put in.