What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Roosters

getsmarty

Immortal
match-default-1736x350.jpg

Telstra Premiership Round 7 Roosters vs Dragons
Telstra Premiership
nrl-premiership-badge.svg

Round 7 - Thursday 25th April 2019

Match: Roosters vs Dragons
Kick off: 4:05pm
roosters-badge.svg

home Team

Roosters

2nd Position

dragons-badge.svg

away Team

Dragons

8th Position

#NRLRoostersDragons

Venue: Sydney Cricket Ground

Match broadcasters

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
Ground Conditions: N/A

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Buy Tickets
Stats
Current Season
Wins this season
83%

5/6

60%

3/5

Points Scored
home Sydney Roosters

away St. George Illawarra Dragons
Points Conceded
home Sydney Roosters

Completion Rate
70%

78%

Tackle Efficiency
88%

88.9%

Average Points Scored
home Sydney Roosters

Average Points Conceded
home Sydney Roosters

Average Play The Ball
3.44s

3.5s

Our Sponsors

https://www.dragons.com.au/draw/nrl-premiership/2019/round-7-roosters-v-dragons/

We were courageous tonight, but if we continue to give away possession through poor ball handling and ill-disciplined penalties, we will be punished by the Roosters.

No point smashing a team with your defence if you repeatedly allow them to piggyback out of trouble through silly penalties.

Life's Good

Coach
This is shaping up as a huge game. They might be without Keary but don’t look weakened when you see the form of Mitchell & Tedesco(not to mention Manu who will return from suspension).
Based on last night we have found some mental toughness to hang in there & I expect Thursday to be no different.
Should be a cracking game.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons key men coming up trumps down the stretch
Dragons Den
r0_0_3585_2390_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HOW GOOD: The Dragons celebrate the match-winner on Saturday night. Picture: AAP

DRAGONS five-eighth Corey Norman believes a series of close wins are worth more than just two competition points after his side's remarkable escape act against Manly on Saturday night.

The Dragons trailed by two late in the match in Wollongong before a 79th minute try to Mikaele Ravalawa snatched a vital 12-10 home win over the Eagles.

It saw them climb to fifth on the ladder ahead of Thursday's Anzac Day blockbuster against the Roosters, with the run of four straight coming without Gareth Widdop, Jack de Belin, Tyson Frizell and Korbin Sims at different stages.

Norman believes the value of those wins will become even more apparent as the season progresses.

"It was a bit of a scrappy game, a bit clunky but credit to Manly's defence they were really hard to crack tonight," Norman said.

"It was a gritty game but it was good to get it.

"Last week was good and we could've easily come out here and rolled over and thought it was just going to happen again but Manly turned up so we said 'let's go' and turned up to.

"These wins that are grittier wins are a lot better [than blowouts] and build a lot more confidence."

It followed a 40-4 blowout win over the Bulldogs a week earlier, but their two wins prior came via a single point, Norman piloting clutch field goals through the posts on both occasions.

It was halves partner Ben Hunt who proved the match-winner on Saturday, producing a pinpoint grubber for Ravalawa's late four-pointer.

"I think each week we're getting better and there's plenty of room left for improvement."

Corey Norman
It runs counter to previous criticism of Hunt's game management in tight contests and Norman says it brings plenty of confidence down the stretch knowing either can step up the clutch moments.

"It just shows that our combination's building," Norman said

"I think each week we're getting better and there's plenty of room left for improvement. He put that kick in there tonight and got us home which is really good.

"I think the last four weeks he's been playing out of his skin. He's copped a lot of criticism in the past but to his credit his turning up every week and having a blinder."

It was a sentiment echoed by coach Paul McGregor who said his No. 7 has never showed more late-game composure.

"He's growing in that area for sure. His kicking [on Saturday] was as good as it's been and his game management's been great," McGregor said.

"I think the option of Normy on the left and [Hunt] on the right gives us a good balance as well because you've got a left and right-foot kicker on either side of the ruck.

"The opposition have to hedge their bets a little bit so they get less kick pressure and where they're putting them...it's no fluke.

"They practice pretty hard on it through the week and their execution under pressure's been great."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...en-coming-up-trumps-down-the-stretch/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Aitken the Dragon with the toughest job on Anzac Day
Christian NicolussiApril 21, 2019 — 2.47pm
  • Send via Email
Euan Aitken has the most daunting job in rugby league later this week - stopping a red-hot Latrell Mitchell on Anzac Day, fresh after his match-winning heroics in Melbourne.

Aitken admits he held his own with Mitchell in the corresponding fixture last year, but proved no match for the young Roosters pin-up when he went''put on a clinic'' the second time they met in round 20 and bagged three tries.

ea739a4265ce4f745ecdd7dd80e24ade2edc3feb

Tough ask: Euan Aitken must try to stop a red-hot Latrell Mitchell when the Dragons face the Roosters on Anzac Day.Credit:AAP

The excitement about Anzac Day started almost immediately among the Dragons players as they hit the showers at WIN Stadium after Saturday night's 12-10 win over Manly. New recruit Corey Norman was told he would experience one of the game's great spectacles.

As for Aitken stopping Mitchell, the right centre told the Herald it was almost a case of looking for ''redemption'' after the 21-year-old's last-start carve-up.

"Everyone knows he's a gun player, he's something special, he's a dynamic ball-runner, and we need to get up and take his time away,'' Aitken said.

"When the Storm left him a bit of space you could see how powerful he was and when he winds up he's quite quick. We need to get up and take his time away.

"He's very strong, he's 100-plus kilos, he has a palm and a good motor.

"The times you do struggle against him is when you give him space. He has that big left foot.

"The last game he got the wood over me. He was impressive that day. Anzac Day was a good duel, but later in the year they had a really good win and he put on a bit of a clinic.

"It's a challenge for me, I need to come back from that one and step up and there's a bit of redemption.''

"It's a big challenge for me, but coming up against the best players only makes you get better.

"He can get chirpy. He always gets chirpy. That's who he is as a person. It's fine, everyone is different off the field. We just have to try and take his time away.''

Even though the Dragons have had a dream month of results, including a couple of close ones, Aitken knows they need to go to another level to match it with the Bondi boys.

While defence had been solid in recent weeks, Aitken said their attack could improve.

"There's a lot of improvement, but good teams win the tight games, even when you're not playing at your very best - our best and worst games are getting closer together,'' he said.

Norman, who has always admired the lead-up and sentiment surrounding the Anzac Day games, said his teammates had told him what to expect at the SCG as they scrubbed up.

"I was in the shower then and the boys were talking about the atmosphere and how it's a game you just get up for. I'm really looking forward to my first experience,'' Norman said.

"The boys said it's electric out there. It's a short turnaround so we need to get our bodies right.''

Norman also had a lot of time for Mitchell and said: "He's one of those players you just have to try and do your best, take his time away from him and get in front of him. It's a hard task but it's what you have to do.''

St George Illawarra were brilliant against the Roosters last year as Tariq Sims went on a one-man mission and terrorised Cooper Cronk. Jack de Belin also had a big game as Brad Fittler stood on the sidelines for Channel Nine and realised he could have had up to half-a-dozen Dragons players in his first NSW Origin team.

The Roosters, however, have now won five on the bounce and have the benefit of Cronk and James Tedesco, two key members of their spine with a whole season under their belts at the club.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ai...oughest-job-on-anzac-day-20190420-p51fw2.html

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Round 7 Fixtures and Preview - Roosters vs Dragons and Storm vs Warriors headline blockbuster ANZAC Day
Andrew Hendrie in League 13 minutes ago
Subscribers-20.png

• NRL Round 7 fixtures and preview
  • Big ANZAC Day featuring Roosters vs Dragons and Storm vs Warriors
Roosters face Dragons on ANZAC Day (PA Images)
Sydney Roosters face St George Illawarra Dragons and Melbourne Storm take on New Zealand Warriors in a blockbuster ANZAC Day of NRL Round 7 action on Thursday.

The traditional ANZAC Day fixtures promise to be electrifying encounters, with the Roosters and Dragons launching Round 7 on Thursday at the SCG, followed by Melbourne and the Warriors at AAMI Park. The Roosters are full of confidence after edging Melbourne by one point in a thriller last weekend, while the Storm will be hoping to bounce back after their first defeat of 2019.

Two teams struggling for wins then clash in the first game on Friday at ANZ Stadium as Canterbury Bulldogs square off against North Queensland Cowboys. Canterbury are anchored to the bottom of the ladder after going down to Souths on Good Friday, while the Cowboys will be aiming for their first back-to-back wins of the season after taking out the Warriors.

South Sydney Rabbitohs will be looking to keep pace with those at the top of the table when they meet Penrith Panthers in the second game on Friday at Panthers Stadium. Souths weren’t at their best but got the job done against the Bulldogs last week, while Penrith slumped to another poor loss as they went down to Cronulla.

Gold Coast Titans will be looking to make it three wins on the trot when they come up against Wests Tigers at Scully Park after big wins over Penrith and Newcastle, while Brisbane - one of just three teams with only one win so far in 2019 - do battle with Cronulla in the second game on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium.

Two in-form teams collide in the first game on Sunday as Manly Sea Eagles play host to Canberra Raiders, who hold a share of the competition lead after downing the Broncos last week, while Manly were unlucky to see their three-game winning streak snapped in controversial fashion against the Dragons.

Round 7 concludes at McDonald Jones Stadium as the struggling Newcastle Knights entertain Parramatta Eels. The Knights and coach Nathan Brown are under immense pressure after five straight losses, including a 38-14 defeat to the Titans last week.

NRL Round 7 Fixtures

Thursday April 25

Sydney Roosters vs St George Illawarra Dragons

http://www.rippa.com/category/rugby-league/nrl-round-7-fixtures-and-preview-20190422/

getsmarty

Immortal
ROOSTERS v DRAGONS

4.05pm Thursday at the SCG

Roosters: Centre Latrell Mitchell is on standby for five-eighth Luke Keary, who was forced from the field in the Roosters’ victory over Melbourne with concussion.

The head knock and six-day turnaround is a concern for Keary, who suffered a concussion last October and also missed the Roosters’ February trial matches due to symptoms of concussion resulting from a broken jaw he endured during pre-season.

“He’s in good spirits but he wasn’t good enough to go back on,” Roosters coach Trent Robinson said of Keary.

“It’s only six days to our next game so he will have to nail every day to get right for Anzac Day so I wouldn’t know how he’s going to be but he will have to improve every day.”

Mitchell was shuffled into five-eighth to cover for an injured Cooper Cronk in rounds two and three, with Lachlan Lam coming off the bench in both those matches.

The Roosters are hopeful Sio Siua Taukeiaho (back) will be available after he was ruled out during the warm-up.

Dragons: Paul McGregor has a massive call to make as to whether young gun Zac Lomax needs to be rushed into the starting team to fix St George Illawarra’s goal-kicking dramas.

Tim Lafai missed three shots at goal that would be considered well within range for most serious NRL kickers in the win over Manly.

It would be a huge call to hold Lafai responsible given he was forced to take over the kicking duties in the wake of Gareth Widdop’s season-ending shoulder injury.

— Paul Crawley

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/f8b198f939675ae1e026da0dd6ede58b

giboz71

First Grade
Roosters would have seen how Hunt kicked in behind Manly's defence pretty much all night, even on early tackles.

During our slump, team rushed up and disrupted our rhythm and we didn't know how to adjust. Hunt has fixed that now

Robinson will be telling them to back off expecting early kicks, so hopefully this will give us more room for Hunt and Norman to operate.

getsmarty

Immortal
Its all good mate, Mitchell is overdue for a bad game. This will be it. Maybe l should post this on the'Mark My Words' thread.

Mitchell may be @ 5/8....they may play Aubusson @ centre....he's a good defender...will be able to keep aitken quiet.......just rush up on him...he never passes...and if he does, its usually poor.

Only chance is that the Storm game took a bit of Gas out of their tank....if we can stay in the grind, we may be an outside chance.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons brace for Roosters ace Mitchell

By AAP+ on 22/04/2019 at 3:58 pm
Filled in: NRL News

20190422_155611-800x579.jpg

St George Illawarra admit the key to upsetting NRL premiers the Sydney Roosters on Anzac Day will be shutting down wonderkid Latrell Mitchell.

The 21-year-old Mitchell has been unstoppable this season, almost single-handedly beating Melbourne last weekend, including a golden-point field goal.

Dragons fullback Matt Dufty labelled Mitchell the best centre in the game and said the second-placed Roosters (5-1) were flawless.

“I versed (Mitchell) growing up and I think he’s gotten a bit bigger since I last saw him, he gets bigger every time I see him,” Dufty said.

“He’s the best centre in the comp at the moment and he’s going to take some stopping. (He’s) a daunting task for any fullback in the comp, he’s the last person you want to see break the line.

“The Roosters are the reigning premiers for a reason. Their defensive line is probably the best in the comp and I think we’ll have to come up with some trick plays to get through it.”

Mitchell has scored 48 tries in 77 NRL games while also starring for NSW and Australia in his short but sensational career.

Dragons duo Paul Vaughan and Jordan Pereira both dubbed Mitchell a “freak” and hoped to avoid the NRL’s leading pointscorer at the SCG.

“He’s an absolute freak, hopefully he doesn’t come to the middle too much so I don’t have to worry about that, but the backs, I’m sure they’ll do their best to shut him down,” Vaughan said of his Blues teammate.

The Dragons (4-2) have enjoyed an impressive start to the season but forward Tyson Frizell said only their best would beat Mitchell and the Roosters.

“They’ve been playing some awesome footy, they’re the standout team probably by far in the competition, playing really consistent footy,” Frizell said.

“In terms of defending (Mitchell) it’s not an easy job, he’s a very, very damaging player. He can slide it from anywhere.”

https://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/dragons-brace-for-roosters-ace-mitchell/474287

Gareth67

First Grade
If the boys turn up with the right mind-set then they will be in with a chance , if they do not then watch out as the Chooks are a better unit this year then last and they could very well run up a cricket score against us .

Our goal kicking must improve also as points will be hard to come by against this mob and we must make the most of any opportunities that come our way .

Also there has been a lot of criticism leveled at Ewan Atkin’s play over the last few weeks ( and rightly so ), I hope that he shuts us all up by playing a blinder and also hammers Latrell Mitchell in the process .

Dragons by 2 :innocent:

Latest posts