What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown

Knight Vision

First Grade
Well lets look at the four best options on the market.

1. Tim Sheens. Veteran coach but you can question whether or not the game has passed him given how poorly Wests were in his last few years. He could just be the authoritative figure we need in the coaching role to get the best out of the players.

2. Trent Barrett. Maybe he got a raw end of the deal with Manly but I don't have faith in him being a high quality coach even in the long term. He'd benefit from continuing to be a reserve grade coach or an assistant.

3. Geoff Toovey. People look to him for his passion and his enthusiasm as a coach but I think he benefited from being Manly through and through. I doubt he can be any good at another club where he doesn't understand its culture, its history etc.

4. Anthony Griffin. Better than Brown all round but I guess you have the question marks over the fact he couldn't get it right at Brisbane or Penrith. Maybe at Penrith he was hard done by with Gus being the merkin he is but I wouldn't be overly confident with him.

Essentially, the top coaches I know of that are available have some baggage or clear flaws that likely wouldn't be good for us. Demetriou is a bold bet to make. Untested in the NRL but lacks the baggage of Griffin or Sheens, lacks of the obvious doubt of Toovey and Barrett. If there's any a good opportunity hedge your bets on an untested coach, its now with Demetriou with most established coaches being well entrenched in their current deals. It can end up like Brennan, sure, but that shouldn't give us a reason to not take a shot on him.

If there's another option out there then I'm by all means open to them.
out of those only 1 and 3 I'd consider. Tim Sheens is a legend but has the game past him by? Toovey is someone I admire.

Big NO to Barrett comes across as a sook and his first crack at NRL was a failure. Look at how Hasler has turned them around with the same resources. Griffin has had the same complaints at 2 different clubs the players dont respond to his lack of communication/technique.

Pedge1971

First Grade
And?
JD has done a long apprenticeship.
He’s definitely worth a shot.

So he comes into a rabble that is 1 from 6. Woolfe is f**ked off cause he signed thinking he had the next shot at head coach. Some players are loyal to Brown are f**ked off and others who undermined Brown are happy with a change but not necessarily bought into AD.

So in this environment what is the rookie coach meant to do?

Setting him up for success because he ia "worth a shot"? Blokes like you would be on his back 3 weeks in if he doesnt have a win without a clue od what he has to work with.

Dead set, you an ideas man Woosh....

The season is gone, take time and find the right coach. Might be worth a shot?

Woosh

Head Moderator
So he comes into a rabble that is 1 from 6. Woolfe is f**ked off cause he signed thinking he had the next shot at head coach. Some players are loyal to Brown are f**ked off and others who undermined Brown are happy with a change but not necessarily bought into AD.

So in this environment what is the rookie coach meant to do?

Setting him up for success because he ia "worth a shot"? Blokes like you would be on his back 3 weeks in if he doesnt have a win without a clue od what he has to work with.

Dead set, you an ideas man Woosh....

The season is gone, take time and find the right coach. Might be worth a shot?

Coach?

Knight Vision

First Grade
Coaches "worth a shot" are ones taking over a settled roster and a successful side that just need continuity....not for a team in our position.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Adam O’Brien is my pick if Brown goes. Long time assistant under Bellamy and now under Robinson. I just hope we go with someone new. Not a re used coach who has failed elsewhere.

Justin Holbrook is killing it at St Helens, he would be another option

Rhyno

First Grade
I would like all the Knights fans on here to apologise to me, slotmachine and spot on.
From day one we could see Nathan Brown couldn’t coach.
We wouldn’t be in this position if I was the head coach, slotmachine and spot on my two assistants.
Slotmachine and spot on your 2alt account ?

Pedge1971

First Grade
What do you want the coach to do you idiot?
Hello???

If he is the best candidate then bring him in at a time where he has a chance to succeed. That is not now. This team needs more than just coaching and the role of an nrl head coach has been a lot more than that for a long time.

Like I said make the change and it backfires you will be the first bloke in here calling for his head and the club will be worse off.

That is assuming he is the best option available....

Rhyno

First Grade
Well lets look at the four best options on the market.

1. Tim Sheens. Veteran coach but you can question whether or not the game has passed him given how poorly Wests were in his last few years. He could just be the authoritative figure we need in the coaching role to get the best out of the players.

2. Trent Barrett. Maybe he got a raw end of the deal with Manly but I don't have faith in him being a high quality coach even in the long term. He'd benefit from continuing to be a reserve grade coach or an assistant.

3. Geoff Toovey. People look to him for his passion and his enthusiasm as a coach but I think he benefited from being Manly through and through. I doubt he can be any good at another club where he doesn't understand its culture, its history etc.

4. Anthony Griffin. Better than Brown all round but I guess you have the question marks over the fact he couldn't get it right at Brisbane or Penrith. Maybe at Penrith he was hard done by with Gus being the merkin he is but I wouldn't be overly confident with him.

Essentially, the top coaches I know of that are available have some baggage or clear flaws that likely wouldn't be good for us. Demetriou is a bold bet to make. Untested in the NRL but lacks the baggage of Griffin or Sheens, lacks of the obvious doubt of Toovey and Barrett. If there's any a good opportunity hedge your bets on an untested coach, its now with Demetriou with most established coaches being well entrenched in their current deals. It can end up like Brennan, sure, but that shouldn't give us a reason to not take a shot on him.

If there's another option out there then I'm by all means open to them.
Toovey is the pick outta those coaches

I’m surprised another club hasn’t picked Toovey up already I’ve always had a lot of respect for him as a coach

Spot On

Coach
Quite amazing how many supporters have suddenly shit the bed after the last two games.

Exceptionally high scoring backflips among some of them a standout for the season so far.

The herd has certainly turned full circle and is charging hard at the other extreme.

We continue to defy the law of averages ie you can't lose all the time.

So maybe this week was rock bottom?

Pedge1971

First Grade
Quite amazing how many supporters have suddenly shit the bed after the last two games.

Exceptionally high scoring backflips among some of them a standout for the season so far.

The herd has certainly turned full circle and is charging hard at the other extreme.

Herd one week, supporters the next?

At least you are honest enough to admit you shit the bed after a loss though have been disappointed this week thus far.

So when we sack Brown which you now freely admit you want to do as opposed to a week or 2 ago when you were on me about never ever mentioning sacking him, who do you replace him with?

Love, the herd

Knight Vision

First Grade
I say we keep Brown and see what happens come end of season. The players not showing up to play is a worry though. We would want to win a few games before the end of the year for him to be safe.

maybe now our chance of making the 8 is just about gone the team can just start playing footy and enjoy themselves

Yosh

Coach
If Brown is the reason we suck, I want him out asap. Ponga is a player that comes along maybe once a generation. Can't afford to waste even a second on his development. Needs to be playing for a team going places or he will be going places without us.

perverse

Referee

Will you ever stop sucking your own dick in front of everyone, or is this just how it is from now on?