What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We can win the Premiership......

Overseas dragon

Juniors
We finally have some talented halves that can bust games wide open BUT it really depends on whether or not the forwards can dominate proceedings.
Against Canterbury, Vaughn trampled all over their pack and the other forwards followed his example.
The end result was plenty of room for Hunt and Norman to strut their stuff.
So our pattern each season is a fade out that coincides with the forwards tanking.
Until now, McGregor has not had a clue as to how to arrest that dynamic.
Here's a new season - let's see if anything different happens this year.
Zac Lomax on the bench as an interchange gives me no confidence that we are rotating our forwards properly.
In pervious years we often only used 3 replacements or token minutes for the 4th bench player.
I see nothing different this year so far.
It will start to bite second half of the season.
YES EXACTLY DENNIS 8 HRS PER SEASON LOST PLAYING LESS THAN 10 MINUTES

giboz71

First Grade
I wouldn't get too excited about the Roosters just yet.

We were a shoe in in 2011 as well that betting agencies stopped placing bets on the minor premiership.

There is a whole rep season to go, injuries, form slumps etc. Plenty of twists and turns to come.

And surely, Dragons supporters should know the dangers of going off too early and being May premiers. Much better to build a season and peak about August.

Frank Facer

First Grade

We were a shoe in in 2011 as well that betting agencies stopped placing bets on the minor premiership.

There is a whole rep season to go, injuries, form slumps etc. Plenty of twists and turns to come.

And surely, Dragons supporters should know the dangers of going off too early and being May premiers. Much better to build a season and peak about August.
It was only one betting agency that paid out on us winning the minor Premiership mid season in 2011. It was sports bet. It was a big promotion that gave them front page advertising, Radio advertising and Television advertising. Who knows how much they were actually holding on us to win the minor premiership that year. I was on us to win the Minor Premiership that year, but with Luxbet. I didn't get paid out early.

Frank Facer

First Grade

Easts do look the standouts to win the comp, after them there is a big gap.

I still think Melbourne are recovering from losing Cronk and Slater, but they come up every year.

I don't think Souths really look that strong. The lose of Inglis weakens them. Sam Burgess is really the only great player in their team.

I don't rate Canberra a genuine premiership chance.

Penrith are struggling.

I don't rate Cronulla a genuine chance.

Brisbane have a lot of quality players, but are struggling for wins right now. I still think they will make the top 8.

If we have DeBelin back and Lomax are right centre instead of Aitken, we look the standout second best roster in the comp.

BLM01

First Grade

I still think Melbourne are recovering from losing Cronk and Slater, but they come up every year.

I don't think Souths really look that strong. The lose of Inglis weakens them. Sam Burgess is really the only great player in their team.

Penrith are struggling.

Brisbane have a lot of quality players, but are struggling for wins right now. I still think they will make the top 8.

If we have DeBelin back and Lomax are right centre instead of Aitken, we look the standout second best roster in the comp.
Cough Cough...sorry Frank just had to clear my throat. 2nd best roster?

Crush

Coach

Nah, Roosters vs Storm GF again this year, pencil it into the calendar.
Only teams that could possibly stop either of them at full strength would be Sharks or maybe Souths.
Dragons not strong enough in the backs.

gitano

Juniors
My word we can. Super pumped for tomorrow can't wait. I reckon we'll put the comp on notice tomorrow. Aitken best on ground and Norman to have his best game yet

Manly game was very tough. Used only 3 replacements with zero time for Lomax who is also an accomplished goal kicker.
We needed another forward badly yesterday.
Seems we are heading down the same path.

Definitely heading down the same path.

Early injuries and JDB being stood down have forced Mary to use Host,Lawrie and Leilua.

This may be our saving grace at the back end of the comp.

The wingers have the opportunity to improve with more game time.

We are well behind Roosters, Storm, Souths at present in terms of backline.

I would not discount Manly.

We will hopefully scrape into the 8 this season, which will exceed board expectations.

Glenn012

Juniors
If JDB comes back and Corey Norman repeats his 2017 form we will be versing either Roosters or Storm in the GF. If we get that far we can win it.
I think they know it which is why by all accounts their club bosses have been the most vocal in having Jack banned. We need to fight fire with fire. Someone at arms length to the club gets in touch with John Elias and his "friends" and organizes payment in exchange that they organize a scenario where Mitchell and Munster can be credibly accused of criminal conduct. Doesn't matter if the charges won't stand up in court. just as long as they are banned from playing at the business end of the season.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Cough Cough...sorry Frank just had to clear my throat. 2nd best roster?
No cough cough. With DeBelin I believe we have the best pack in the comp. I think Hunt and Norman would be the second best pair of halves in the comp, behind Easts. I have been critical of Lafai and Pereira, but they have both been playing very well this year. On form each could be in the top 6 centres or wingers in the comp this year. I obviously have a high opinion of Lomax and if he replaced Aitken, we would have a much stronger side. Dufty provides X factor. His lack of size is a concern, but I would take him over many other fullbacks in the comp. We have won our last 4 games on the trot, since Dufty has been reinstated.

I will also add that at full strength, we have a lot of depth in the forwards, with the likes of Lawrie, Host, Leilua, Sims and Latimore all vying for a spot on the bench.

I have Easts, us and Melbourne then then daylight 4th.

Who else besides Easts and Melbourne do you have above us?

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Penrith are struggling.

The absence of an experienced right winger suggests otherwise. Also, Dufty’s biggest weakness (i.e. defence) hasn’t been tested yet.

I appreciate Debellin’s value but Blake Lawrie is playing well.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
No cough cough. With DeBelin I believe we have the best pack in the comp. I think Hunt and Norman would be the second best pair of halves in the comp, behind Easts. I have been critical of Lafai and Pereira, but they have both been playing very well this year. On form each could be in the top 6 centres or wingers in the comp this year. I obviously have a high opinion of Lomax and if he replaced Aitken, we would have a much stronger side. Dufty provides X factor. His lack of size is a concern, but I would take him over many other fullbacks in the comp. We have won our last 4 games on the trot, since Dufty has been reinstated.

I will also add that at full strength, we have a lot of depth in the forwards, with the likes of Lawrie, Host, Leilua, Sims and Latimore all vying for a spot on the bench.

I have Easts, us and Melbourne then then daylight 4th.

Who else besides Easts and Melbourne do you have above us?

There isn’t much separating the best forward packs in the comp. Personally, I believe the Dragons and Chooks’ big men pretty cancel each out. North Queensland probably surpasses both....just.