What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farewell

BennyV

Referee
That’s the point. Why give up when you don’t know what’s in store. That’s the beauty of sport, or so I thought.

Or are you saying OV created the thread as some sort of Good Friday sacrifice?
Definitely not the latter, that implies OV is Jesus, and also that he came back to the forum yesterday (which he clearly didn’t).

My point was he ‘gave up’ on Friday, not after the win on Saturday as suggested.

Of course, he’ll be back. OV, like many other supporters, isn’t a ‘Facebook fan’, who thinks that supporting every mediocre, self-serving decision by the club is what makes you a ‘true fan’ even though they are enabling the continuous stream of average-ness that the club is striving for.

He, like many of us, want ACTUAL success. He wants us to take our rightful place as the #1 sporting club in the history of the universe and he feels the pain every time a ridiculous decision is made to prevent us from reaching that goal.

I’d argue he’s a truer fan than anyone who has ever said ‘just support the club’.

Problem is, those fans can’t simply walk away, despite the desire for success. No matter what, we end up watching every second of every game, cheering and whinging and yelling.

So he’ll be back!

Life's Good

Coach
Definitely not the latter, that implies OV is Jesus, and also that he came back to the forum yesterday (which he clearly didn’t).

My point was he ‘gave up’ on Friday, not after the win on Saturday as suggested.

Of course, he’ll be back. OV, like many other supporters, isn’t a ‘Facebook fan’, who thinks that supporting every mediocre, self-serving decision by the club is what makes you a ‘true fan’ even though they are enabling the continuous stream of average-ness that the club is striving for.

He, like many of us, want ACTUAL success. He wants us to take our rightful place as the #1 sporting club in the history of the universe and he feels the pain every time a ridiculous decision is made to prevent us from reaching that goal.

I’d argue he’s a truer fan than anyone who has ever said ‘just support the club’.

Problem is, those fans can’t simply walk away, despite the desire for success. No matter what, we end up watching every second of every game, cheering and whinging and yelling.

So he’ll be back!

‘Like many of us....’ is correct because the majority of threads end up as critique of the club which indicates we aren’t happy with what’s been dished up since the Bennett era. I don’t see too many accepting of the way things are as being the best way forward.
I don’t see myself as an ‘enabler’ because I cheer the club on irrespective of what happens off the field. I see myself as someone who hopes for better days knowing I have zero influence on how it all plays out.
The alternative is to cut & run until the good times come back but then I would just be a fair weather supporter. The type we ridicule & bemoan and generally associate with the Roosters or Manly.

BennyV

Referee
‘Like many of us....’ is correct because the majority of threads end up as critique of the club which indicates we aren’t happy with what’s been dished up since the Bennett era. I don’t see too many accepting of the way things are as being the best way forward.
I don’t see myself as an ‘enabler’ because I cheer the club on irrespective of what happens off the field. I see myself as someone who hopes for better days knowing I have zero influence on how it all plays out.
The alternative is to cut & run until the good times come back but then I would just be a fair weather supporter. The type we ridicule & bemoan and generally associate with the Roosters or Manly.
This forum is indicative of a small fraction of overall supporters, the large majority of which clap and cheer every decision the club makes, regardless of the outcome, simply to show that they are a supporter!

I think all types of fans cheer the team (not necessarily the club) every game and I don’t think anyone actually cuts and runs (hence predicting that OV will actually be back). However, some will actively criticise decisions in their desire of success, while others will accept and champion everything because ‘that’s what a supporter does’ (which is obviously rubbish).

Point is, OV, like all fans, will be back watching next week and likely back on this forum by SOO!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

So he’ll be back!

Fair comment with most of what you say but l don't see how someone, who is an avid fan, can walk away midstream.

Doesn't make sense.

Anyway, to each their own.

giboz71

First Grade
Lol if every fan took their bat and ball and went home every time things aren't going well, there would only be 2 sets of fans left (Roosters and Storm).

Are Newcastle, Bulldogs, Brisbane, Warriors and Penrith fans still going to games btw?

Oh and I bet all fans (on this forum and elsewhere) were tuning in last year when we were 4 mins from a prelim without our 2 best players.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Irrespective of admin, board & coach, who in their right mind would give up on the club after a gutsy win like we had on Saturday night?
I wouldn’t give up that sense of fight for anything.
Well the problem is for many of us who have been following Saints for over 50 years is that we demand better than what is being dished up at the moment.

I have no doubt that SGI would do better under a top grade coach and our Club would do better under professional management at all levels.

giboz71

First Grade
Irrespective of admin, board & coach, who in their right mind would give up on the club after a gutsy win like we had on Saturday night?
I wouldn’t give up that sense of fight for anything.

I'm with you mate. I don't consider myself any more loyal than the next guy but I at least recognise when my team is playing above themselves and giving their all for the jersey.

As I said after the Brisbane semi last year, at least the players were made of more sturdy stuff than most fans on here who pretty much gave it away a full 6 days before the game even kicked off.

possm

Coach
I'm with you mate. I don't consider myself any more loyal than the next guy but I at least recognise when my team is playing above themselves and giving their all for the jersey.

As I said after the Brisbane semi last year, at least the players were made of more sturdy stuff than most fans on here who pretty much gave it away a full 6 days before the game even kicked off.
I don't believe the SGI fans are blaming their players at all.

It is the coach and management that are the problem.

Crush

Coach
Lol if every fan took their bat and ball and went home every time things aren't going well, there would only be 2 sets of fans left(Roosters and Storm).

Are Newcastle, Bulldogs, Brisbane, Warriors and Penrith fans still going to games btw?

Oh and I bet all fans (on this forum and elsewhere) were tuning in last year when we were 4 mins from a prelim without our 2 best players.
Objective View last seen checking "farewell" thread 31 mins ago......

ruthless dragon

Juniors
I've waited a few days to let the disastrous confirmation of Mary's extension sink in.

Now that it has, I can announce with a clear mind my departure from following the game altogether.

The St George board are a disgusting group of incestuous, incompetent, self serving cretins. Not an ounce of professional fibre in their body.

All the best boys and girls.

Straight Shooter

Lol bye baby off to the Titans haha

Hardcore Dragon

Juniors
I've waited a few days to let the disastrous confirmation of Mary's extension sink in.

Now that it has, I can announce with a clear mind my departure from following the game altogether.

The St George board are a disgusting group of incestuous, incompetent, self serving cretins. Not an ounce of professional fibre in their body.

Straight Shooter

Hi OV

I've just started posting but have followed your own posts for a long time. Have agreed with just about everything you have said - I particularly love your passion for change.

I hope you will return to the fold soon. We need strong voices.

f**k I hate Mary.

XXX

_Johnsy

Referee

Straight Shooter
Posted Friday April 19, 2018.

Someone tell OV just because he stops posting doesn't mean we can't see that he still stops by to read the forums

100% Brutal.

His profile page says "Objective View was last seen: Monday at 11:11 PM." Monday being May 6.

I think OV likes a bit of theatre and loves being the drama queen right in the middle of it. If you were going to leave, you'd want to have a modicum of dignity & just do it without the self made fanfare, but Noooooo lurking to see the responses to his "announcement" on an internet forum. FMD

hewi

Bench
Well the problem is for many of us who have been following Saints for over 50 years is that we demand better than what is being dished up at the moment.

I have no doubt that SGI would do better under a top grade coach and our Club would do better under professional management at all levels.

Funnily enough we all would like a premiership and it’s plainly obvious we won’t get one under the current coach/management. It’s not rocket science, like many I turn the TV off early and rant and rave but I always come back. Red and white is in my DNA.

Old Timer

Coach
Funny how sum criticised OV and wished him to hell and when he leaves they check on him to see if he is looking in and then offer comment about that.
For my own part I enjoyed having OV as part of the forum and watching people letting him get up there noses is something I will miss
I wish him well and hope he does look in from afar and if he does come back I will be happy and offer nothing other than a welcome where some will no doubt try and hang him due to his announcement to leave
Anyone who doubts his love and passion for the big red v is a dill

jeffdragon

Bench
Lol if every fan took their bat and ball and went home every time things aren't going well, there would only be 2 sets of fans left (Roosters and Storm).

Roosters don't have any fans.
Shit crowds.:grin:

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All,

This is a genuine post and seeking some interesting definite views. I do believe that the coach/ CEO/ Management desire success and for us loyal dragons to watch the shield again raised by a player wearing a big red v.
The coach is heavily criticised across many posts. It’s usually about how bad Mary is, McIdiot, etc etc.
Of the top coaches who would the club be able to get? Top ones:

Craig Bellamy has been with Melbourne since 2003. Great record of 68% win rate. Storm has been publicly noted as having nearly $1 m in TPAs. In other words pretty rusted on Storm coach and why not with the buy power for players. 15 years and 2 grand final wins Tanked at State of Origin.

Wayne Bennett 62% win rate over many years of 31years of coaching mostly with big TPA club the Broncos. 7 premierships over 30 years. Tanked with Newcastle at 45% win rate over 3 seasons.low TPA club average roster. Won with dragons after they got Gaz back on lucrative back ended contract.

Trent Robinson 62% win rate with wealthy Roosters club. Reported $450k TPAs. 2 premierships. He isn’t going anywhere and why would you? with the cash and the Eastern Suburbs vibe and a big hitter at high levels NicknPolitis.

Michael Maguire on 54% win rate across Souths and Wests. 56% with Souths. One premiership.

Ricky Stuart 49% win across 4 clubs. Coached roosters to one premiership at 61% win rate. All other clubs sharks eels Raiders 42%/21% / 47% respectively.

Shane Flanagan 55% win rate over 4 seasons with sharpies and a premiership.

Paul McGregor 51% win rate over 5 + seasons. Coaching famous red v joint venture but low TPAs.

Lots of others like Cleary, Brian Smith, etc etc around the 50% mark in Australia.

So fellow tragic who is the top line coach that so many require the club to recruit and is available?

Even the best coaches with big TPAs and star studded teams still lose at least a significant amount of games. Great players make a great coach.

Latest posts