What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feelings on Souths moving to bankwest.

Pommy

Coach
Watching this Para game the stadium looks and sounds amazing.
I know there’s a lot of talk that we will move to BankWest during the ANZ rebuild but how would people feel about a permanent move?
ANZ even after the rebuild is still going to be far far far too big for our needs.
If we moved here we could potentially get consistently much bigger crowds than we would at ANZ.
For me this needs to happen. If Homebush is acceptably close to South Sydney then there’s no reason why parramatta couldn’t be.

ThingFish

Juniors
I’d love it, but I’m selfish, I could walk to games and home :grinning: The crowd sounded amazing from my back balcony this evening.

Lock it in Eddie.

Easy to get to via train to a central Para CBD train station from Penrith/Campbelltown/Central and inner west and Canterbury areas. There are plenty of buses or you can walk. There are restaurants / pubs etc for Friday, Saturday night games. The Metro will eventually go in too. You can park and walk too with connection to M4, Woodville Rd, GW Highway, Paramatta Rd and Pennant Hills Rd.

One of the KPIs for the ANZ move in 2006 was that a large proportion of Souths membership lived in out Sydney. A move to Para is just a win win.

Well I was there and yes yes yes let’s make this our home ground. The atmosphere was electric the whole game. It’s a day I won’t forget in a long while.

We won't end up there full time. ANZ being upgraded will be dependent on us and the Bulldogs signing long term deals there so we will be back at ANZ for a long, long time once it's done but thats fine with me. From all reports, the ANZ rebuild will be based on what they've done at Bankwest, only bigger so I'm sure we'll have a very nice stadium of our own in a couple of years time. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to watching a lot of football there when we move there while ANZ is being redone.

Pommy

Coach
We won't end up there full time. ANZ being upgraded will be dependent on us and the Bulldogs signing long term deals there so we will be back at ANZ for a long, long time once it's done but thats fine with me. From all reports, the ANZ rebuild will be based on what they've done at Bankwest, only bigger so I'm sure we'll have a very nice stadium of our own in a couple of years time. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to watching a lot of football there when we move there while ANZ is being redone.

ANZ isn’t being knocked down anymore so they’re limited in what can be done. Essentially they’re putting lipstick on a pig and spending a fortune to do it. We will end up with a marginally better stadium than what we have now. But still being totally sub par in a crap location.
Also there’s no way this stadium isn’t getting done with or without leases. Labour made it such a big issue there’s no way the Liberals can back down and say they had it wrong.

Wolfman

Juniors
Does anyone know what's the latest with the Centre Of Excellence at Heffron Park? This project has been in the making since 2013.
The Panthers have built a massive centre of excellence, Parramatta have built a magnificent Stadium and are on the verge of building a major training facility and the Roosters are in the progress of building a new stadium.
If Packer can give the Panthers $10 mil to bail them out then surely he can fund our cause?

RAB-161

Juniors
Does anyone know what's the latest with the Centre Of Excellence at Heffron Park? This project has been in the making since 2013.
The Panthers have built a massive centre of excellence, Parramatta have built a magnificent Stadium and are on the verge of building a major training facility and the Roosters are in the progress of building a new stadium.
If Packer can give the Panthers $10 mil to bail them out then surely he can fund our cause?
Parramatta haven't built anything. The Roosters are not building a new stadium and Souths have all the funding for the Heffron Centre from the Federal Government, the Sate Government, Souths Football Club and Randwick Council ready to go. They are not looking for any more finance.
The last I read, the start date was to be July. Randwick Council have finished building the new Heffron Tennis Centre and I would imagine that as soon as it is opened, work can commence on the joint project between Souths and Randwick Council ( it will be built partially on the site of the old tennis courts).
The date may change though I suppose - I don't know if the DA has been put through as yet.
I agree it has been a long wait - I can't wait to see the first sod turned on the new facility.

Travitoh

First Grade

As has already been stated, clubs haven't built any stadiums, the government has. Parra and Easts just happen to be playing out of them.

Wolfman

Juniors
Parramatta haven't built anything. The Roosters are not building a new stadium and Souths have all the funding for the Heffron Centre from the Federal Government, the Sate Government, Souths Football Club and Randwick Council ready to go. They are not looking for any more finance.
The last I read, the start date was to be July. Randwick Council have finished building the new Heffron Tennis Centre and I would imagine that as soon as it is opened, work can commence on the joint project between Souths and Randwick Council ( it will be built partially on the site of the old tennis courts).
The date may change though I suppose - I don't know if the DA has been put through as yet.
I agree it has been a long wait - I can't wait to see the first sod turned on the new facility.

Thanks for your reply RAB-161. I used the clubs as a reference in regards to grounds and facilities construction. I knew these projects were generously government funded.

My concern is basically the delay for the construction of The Heffron Park Excellence Centre. As I've already mentioned this has been in the making since 2013. I understand and appreciate there has been a lot of work involved in securing funding and approval.

I haven't heard or read anything on the official Rabbitohs website or the Randwick City Council website as to when the starting date was however I hope it is in July as you said.

I, like you and many can't wait to the see the completion of this long awaited state of the art centre of excellence.

ThingFish

Juniors
Sell out to the highest bidder.

The Souths way.
I seem to recall a club from the shire selling their soul to Murdoch and News Limited back in the Super League war. Even in a 10 team comp they couldn’t win their first premiership.

Then that certain club sold their souls to scientists as Dank tried to raise up an army of super soldiers with a systematic program of peptide injections.

Then they sold their souls to the gods of greed and systematically broke salary cap rules. This final sell out finally got them their first premiership, but it will forever have an asterisk * next to it with a footnote the reads (*cheated. The Cronulla way.)

T-Boon

Coach
As an eels fan I am worried that Bankwest is going to be a see of green on Friday.
You should all check it out and bring your friends, it is a brilliant facility. The light shows before the game and at half time are amazing. And cannot be appreciated on TV. They are better than vivid.

Last edited:

Go Bunnies

Juniors
Just received the member’s message from Blake Solly re playing at Bankwest for the 2021 and 2022 Seasons.
Very disappointed that we are moving further away from Redfern- if Allianz is completed before 2023, surely we should be playing any home games there.
The crowds are already abysmal at ANZ - I would think they would be even worse at BankWest.

Latest posts