What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL on Melbourne FTA is a joke

greenBV4

Bench
Nine, "the home of rugby league" got lucky this year that ANZAC day has fallen on a Thursday, and get to show the ANZAC clash between the Warriors and Storm as "Thursday Night Footy", as well as the Roosters and Dragons game during the day.

But what do they do in Melbourne? They play the failing AFL footy show in HD, and shove the Melbourne Storm onto GEM...
Sunday Football yesterday didn't even warrant being on GEM, it was pushed down to GO, behind the Fed Cup and "The Secret Life of Zoo" in HD

Add to that that nothing gets shown post-game, after the siren goes it cuts straight to some old movie or repeat!

Surely a Storm game in Melbourne would rate better than 99% of the stuff they choose to show instead? especially if it was in HD!

I don't get why Nine wouldn't want it in the first place, but if the NRL wants to help grow the game out of NSW and QLD should be demanding Nine to show games in high definition on the main channel in the other states!

Shark62

Juniors
Nine, "the home of rugby league" got lucky this year that ANZAC day has fallen on a Thursday, and get to show the ANZAC clash between the Warriors and Storm as "Thursday Night Footy", as well as the Roosters and Dragons game during the day.

But what do they do in Melbourne? They play the failing AFL footy show in HD, and shove the Melbourne Storm onto GEM...
Sunday Football yesterday didn't even warrant being on GEM, it was pushed down to GO, behind the Fed Cup and "The Secret Life of Zoo" in HD

Add to that that nothing gets shown post-game, after the siren goes it cuts straight to some old movie or repeat!

Surely a Storm game in Melbourne would rate better than 99% of the stuff they choose to show instead? especially if it was in HD!

I don't get why Nine wouldn't want it in the first place, but if the NRL wants to help grow the game out of NSW and QLD should be demanding Nine to show games in high definition on the main channel in the other states!
Last Friday they couldn’t wait to end the coverage. The field goal went through and bang the coverage was over. They are utter bastards.

Diesel

Coach
Is it Nine or the guys in charge of Nine in Melbourne? Wait, I know this answer, it’s Nine as a whole. They pay big dollars and treat RL poorly

Stallion

First Grade
Is it Nine or the guys in charge of Nine in Melbourne? Wait, I know this answer, it’s Nine as a whole. They pay big dollars and treat RL poorly

Surely the NRL must have some input and influence? ATM other codes are just enjoying continued FTA coverage free kicks every week! This does impact a code in the eyes of the public at large. Especially the younger audience.

Diesel

Coach
Surely the NRL must have some input and influence? ATM other codes are just enjoying continued FTA coverage free kicks every week! This does impact a code in the eyes of the public at large. Especially the younger audience.
AFL is everywhere, even in Brisbane you can have a AFL Lions game on Triple M when there’s NRL on.
NRLHQ are muppets

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Agree that the NRL need to intervene and sort the FTA coverage situation in Melbourne. The Storm rate pretty well with Melbourne viewers and would certainly rate higher than a movie re-run and the Fed Cup.

What is odd to me is that 9 is a business, if the ratings are there, then put it on the main channel. I assume the Wide World of Sports department at 9 in Melbourne is overrun with AFL people. Are they really cutting off their nose to spite their face?

mongoose

Coach
Agree that the NRL need to intervene and sort the FTA coverage situation in Melbourne. The Storm rate pretty well with Melbourne viewers and would certainly rate higher than a movie re-run and the Fed Cup.

What is odd to me is that 9 is a business, if the ratings are there, then put it on the main channel. I assume the Wide World of Sports department at 9 in Melbourne is overrun with AFL people. Are they really cutting off their nose to spite their face?

My money is on AFL loving Vic-tards doing whatever they can to keep the NRL out of public view. The NRL needs to intervene though, they don't seem to give a shit.

adamkungl

Immortal

Tbh this is a big improvement on the bad old days of post-midnight screenings.Give it another 20 years...

Pommy

Coach

The last 4 nations summed it up.

Gus “I don’t want to be here, I don’t know why I’m awake now”

Springs09

Juniors
Tbh this is a big improvement on the bad old days of post-midnight screenings.Give it another 20 years...

Was it 2009 when they cut the grand final broadcast after the hooter and storm fans didn’t get to see the presentation?

Generalzod

Immortal
Oh yes if we go what happened last year on Anzac Day at AAMI Park Stadium whet the faces of all the Storm players faces where projected on the sails of the stadium, I thought it was really about paying respect to our fallen ANZAC, What’s so heroic about the Storm players???

greenBV4

Bench
Is there any way to see how the 9GEM games rate in Victoria/WA/SA compared to what they show on the primary channel? I'd like to think that at least Storm games would be rating better than the re-runs or movies?

Another solution that I'm surprised at least 1 FTA channel hasn't done yet it a dedicated sports channel in HD. I'm sure 9 could gather enough content to run a "Wide World of Sports Channel"

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even if they just started with the Sunday game. The sht they show on a Sunday afternoon its hard to imagine it will rate worse! When they show Origin on prime channel in WA it rates over 100k, this compared to the 12-20k NRL games are getting on secondary channels. This is where Oirates could come in. 4pm Sunday games live on Nine in WA as lead in to news. That would be a 6pm or 7pm KO on East coast.

Latest posts