What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Power Rankings preseason 2019

Meapro Ham

Juniors
6 weeks into 2019 pending the Easter Monday game.

Who's hot and who's not? No changes in the top 4 but the middle is chaos. Big movers.

1 Trent Robinson - Still delivering. Has improved the premiers, playing better footy than last year. Maybe Cronk's making him look good but in the end results are what matter.

2 Craig Bellamy - Down to 1 of the big 4 and Storm still haven't skipped a beat. Look like a class above, along with Easts. Young players in key positions are firing. We're going for round 2 in Robinson + Cronk vs Bellamy + Smith. Robbo won the battle but who will win the war...

3 Wayne Bennett - The other big coaching stoush of the year Wayne v Seibold. Souths have improved under Wayne and will continue to do so as the year progresses.

4 Micheal Maguire - Has brought his textbook tough as nails attitude to Wests. Not quite clicking in attack yet but seems to have put some serious guts into the perpetually problematic Tigers defence.

5 Ricky Stuart - Everyone mocked the Stick but his Pommy shopping spree is paying off! Could Raiders go one better than even their 2016 run?

6 Des Hasler - Des another one on the comeback trail. Getting better results out of his squad than many would have expected.

7 Paul Green - Meanwhile Green getting bugger all out of a quality Cowboys side. A good win in Auckland but too early to say whether it will be a turning point. So far, the worst performing of the coaches with a premiership to their name.

8 Ivan Cleary - Penrith look worse under Cleary. Tigers look better without him. Not a great sign. Too early to completely write off with a new club but value is dropping. Some strange tactical decisions so far resulting in ugly football.

9 Anthony Seibold - Broncos are performing worse under Seibold. Maybe there's an adjustment period to his technique and the payoff will come in the back half of the season, but right now the heights of 2018 look like a long time ago.

10 Paul McGregor - Some early wins on the board and a contract extension. Feels like deja vu with Mary. We've been here too many times before, the real test comes post-Origin. Potential to move up the board but holding for now. Flanno won a comp after a long slow-burn period of improvement, could Mary?

11 Brad Arthur - Was 2018 a fluke disaster or was 2017 a fluke success? Who knows. But BA is currently not the worst coach in the comp. Eels are playing above their level, for now.

12 John Morris - His inherited side is still performing Ok despite a horror offseason and early injury run. Hard to place J-Mo, too inexperienced to move up and too many inept coaches below. So he falls in at an indifferent 12.

13 Garth Brennan - Titans improving week on week but a long way to claw back.

14 Dean Pay - Dogs looking gutsy at times and awful at others. Needed to make more squad improvements over the offseason.

15 Stephen Kearney - Some coaches have a shit roster and can't do anything about it without a good 2 offseasons to repair it. But some, like Kearney, have quality at their fingertips and actively ruin it. The decision to push Shaun Johnson out is, to no ones surprise, a complete bust. There are periods of decent footy but ultimately the Warriors look worse and it's hard to see them making the 8.

16 Nathan Brown - Full support of the board followed by a flogging at the hands of a far inferior team on paper in the Titans. Nathan Brown is the worst coach in the NRL currently, and could be a dead man walking.
Brown has had 3 years to build his squad and the excuses have run out. Being a decent recruiter isn't enough to cut it at NRL level. Senior players are in appalling form, new signings aren't seeing the ball, positional switches failed then were backflipped for even worse results.

Cleary and Seibold should be 14 and 15 when you consider the quality of their clubs rosters and how far backwards they’ve gone. The likes of Brennan and even Pay are doing better considering what they have to work with.

mongoose

Coach
Cleary and Seibold should be 14 and 15 when you consider the quality of their clubs rosters and how far backwards they’ve gone. The likes of Brennan and even Pay are doing better considering what they have to work with.

Tits have a strong roster. If the Panthers have a better one it's only just imo

Vic Mackey

Referee
The new season has shown the truth about a few coaches.

Wayne has come to Souths and has them playing as they did last year. They made top 4 and now with the same roster they doing what they did well in 18.

Ivan has gone to a Penrith side that’s made the finals 3 years in a row and completely changed their style of play, purely to try and show off his son. The Maloney/Kikau/Blake combo was probably the most dangerous in the game, let’s try and get Nathan in on that hey? Oh what The Chin can’t do anything except goal kick? Oh well I’m sure it will work itself out..

Seibold has gone upto a Brisbane team that has a heap of talent yet severely lacking in leadership in game management. At Souths Seibold was criticized for having no Plan B when things weren’t working, having seen zero changes to try and rectify Brisbane’s obvious flaws the jury is out on if he more then a one trick pony.

Maguire has Wests looking extremely fit, have the 2nd best defence and have played for 80 minutes in 4 of their 5 games so far. After a disappointing loss to Penrith he told them what they did wrong and the next week in the same situation they took control of the game and won. With a squad lacking stars and game breakers the test will come middle and late in the season when the Tigers usually slide and finish 9th.

big hit!

Bench

Wayne has come to Souths and has them playing as they did last year. They made top 4 and now with the same roster they doing what they did well in 18.

Ivan has gone to a Penrith side that’s made the finals 3 years in a row and completely changed their style of play, purely to try and show off his son. The Maloney/Kikau/Blake combo was probably the most dangerous in the game, let’s try and get Nathan in on that hey? Oh what The Chin can’t do anything except goal kick? Oh well I’m sure it will work itself out..

Seibold has gone upto a Brisbane team that has a heap of talent yet severely lacking in leadership in game management. At Souths Seibold was criticized for having no Plan B when things weren’t working, having seen zero changes to try and rectify Brisbane’s obvious flaws the jury is out on if he more then a one trick pony.

Maguire has Wests looking extremely fit, have the 2nd best defence and have played for 80 minutes in 4 of their 5 games so far. After a disappointing loss to Penrith he told them what they did wrong and the next week in the same situation they took control of the game and won. With a squad lacking stars and game breakers the test will come middle and late in the season when the Tigers usually slide and finish 9th.

Seibold is probably sticking to the process, but he needs to make changes.

Milford to FB
Boyd to OB
Nikorima or Turpin to 9
Blood one of their best young halves to take the reins of the team because neither Milf or Nikorima can. A true half who can play and manage a structured game. They have O'Sullivan, Dargan and Dearden. Has to make the call on one of them.
Get his forwards fit. They don't look it.

The Tigers will burn out by end of year.

Panthers made one of the most important decisions based soley on keeping one player at the club. Take out the chin, and Ivan never comes back to the club - he would never want to go back, and Penrith would have moved on from his last stint. It was a bad strategic move from Penrith

mongoose

Coach
You can’t be looking at the same roster I am
The titans roster is a health dose of stink with some roses sprinkled in

I dunno, forward pack containing - James, Proctor, Wallace, Arrow, Boyd
the spine has potential with Taylor and Brimson in it. Roberts in underrated, Peats is serviceable.

outside backs aren't great but they at least got Peachy there now

I wouldn't be surprised if they finish 7/8th

So using mr too early to call as the line....

Coaches I would definitely rather have than John Morris
Trent Robinson
Craig Bellamy
Wayne Bennett
Michael Mcguire
Des Hasler
Stock is Falling but still yes
Anthony Seibold
Paul Green
This is my Coach. I am Undecided
John Morris
More Experienced but No
Mary McGrexit
Brad Aurthur
Having a good season but we know where this ends
Ricky Stuart
Nah Fam.
Garth Brennan
Ivan Cleary
Nathan Brown
Stephen Kearney
Dean Pay

JokerEel

Coach

You were going well until you got to Tigers.

Tigers will be good in a few years with Madge in charge though he will build a great team..

adamkungl

Immortal
That Tigers capitulation is one of the worst performances Madge has ever been in charge of.
A lot of tipsters taking Tigers due to Parra's numerous absences and they totally folded.
Like I said earlier, Kiss of f**king death.

But one week doesn't make a season and one season doesn't make a coach.

Imo a successful season for Madge/Tigers is getting to the finals, anything more is gravy.

I'd argue that the only coach in the comp for who finals wouldn't be a fair expectation is Dean Pay with the Dogs. They're in a proper rebuild phase and just need to get themselves back in the hunt.

JokerEel

Coach
Are you going to base everything off one horrible performance?

Horrible Performances against Panthers as well as Doggies this season plus pulled of a dubious win against Broncos...

But like I said Madge will get them to finals and build a great team..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
15 Brad Arthur - 6 years at the Eels. He dragged them up the ladder before trashing his own work and taking them right back to the bottom. Which was the fluke, 2017 (4th) or 2018 (16th)? I'm leaning towards 2017 being a weak comp. Dubious recruitment and struggles to get his teams up week in week out. 2019's roster looks worse than ever and with another rocky offseason it's hard to see them firing. Currently the worst coach in the game by some margin.

Nice to see you dont have an agenda

First coach given the arse - Arthur surely.

or maybe you do

In 2018 he was a one man band

In 2019 he now has a defensive coach, assistant coach, director of football and a retention and recruitment committee, whereas he was doing all that on his own previously. I'm not sure that any other club has had a coach do all those duties on their own in the modern game.

And as for the Eel's roster looking worse, it would seem to be a big improvement on last year thanks to our junior retention.

adamkungl

Immortal
Nice to see you dont have an agenda

or maybe you do

Or maybe you don't know the difference between an agenda and an opinion?

In 2018 he was a one man band

In 2019 he now has a defensive coach, assistant coach, director of football and a retention and recruitment committee, whereas he was doing all that on his own previously. I'm not sure that any other club has had a coach do all those duties on their own in the modern game.

Who's fault is that? Who cares? In the end history won't have an asterisk next to 2018's spoon because Arthur didn't have an assistant coach.

Anyway - 6 rounds in, it's obvious that the above prediction was wrong, and my follow-up admits it.

Fordy20

Juniors
But one week doesn't make a season and one season doesn't make a coach.

Imo a successful season for Madge/Tigers is getting to the finals, anything more is gravy.

I would have said that if Cleary didn't make the finals with the Tigers this year, it would have been a failure. It would still be a successful season if the Tigers made the finals under Madge, but it's not like he was gifted a premiership side like Ricky Stuart was. This team is the result of Cleary's choices, not his, so it feels a little unfair to expect a finals berth in the first year.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Or maybe you don't know the difference between an agenda and an opinion?

Who's fault is that? Who cares? In the end history won't have an asterisk next to 2018's spoon because Arthur didn't have an assistant coach.

Anyway - 6 rounds in, it's obvious that the above prediction was wrong, and my follow-up admits it.

Don’t you know, it’s considered bravest to come in and bag peoples opinions months after they’ve been given and probably proven wrong, not at the time they’re given when you have to have a sensible rebuttal.

adamkungl

Immortal
Don’t you know, it’s considered bravest to come in and bag peoples opinions months after they’ve been given and probably proven wrong, not at the time they’re given when you have to have a sensible rebuttal.

I've already bumped BA up 5 spots! By finals time he could be a top 8 coach!

He's clearly learned something from last year's failures and Eels look like a completely different team despite a largely similar core playing roster. If it continues to years end I'll be first to admit I was way off.
I tipped Parra to win the comp last year ffs

Latest posts