What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aitken or Lomax, who should be right centre?

Who should be our right centre?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

possm

Coach
Ravawala is the problem not Aitken.
Lomax to be our goalkicking winger.
I don't understand your thinking on this. Over the past 3 years whoever was our winger outside Aitken was made to look bad; Nightingale, Macdonald, Lomax for a game. Then look at the stats and see how many try assists Aitken provided to his outside man, then look at Aitkens miss-tackle numbers and the situation is very clear. There are probably no stats on hogging the ball but if there was, Aitken would be leading the charge for centres in the NRL.

Centre is meant to be a link between the halves and the wingers. There job is to provide uncertainty for the opposition and hopefully setup their winger.

Look no further than Gasnier and Cooper and the combination between Nightingale and Morris respectively.

possm

Coach
Like Pharlap. And Raddish.If lomax was at club with a decent coach he would be playing every week.
When will our dumb coach recognise what he has.Bloody idiot.
Maybe our dumb coach does realise Lomax is a better centre than Aitken. Sure he should being an ex-international centre.

The must be more to this ……… wait ……… maybe Aitken is Mary's driver on the days Mary has the urge to drink and drive. Keeping his job at right centre is payment in full for Aitken.

j0nesy

Bench
Just asking if any of the "8" that voted for Atiken could please share your rationale in choosing him above Lomax? Its a forum, so you can't be wrong or right, just trying to understand.

I was one of the 8. My rationale is that Aitken has been playing well so far this year. He’s quick, a hard ball runner, and despite what others say, I think he’s a good defender. When he hits he hits hard. He plays the game hard and generates quick play the balls. He does a lot of the little things right in the game. He lacks ball playing ability though.

At the start of the season I probably would have gone with Lomax as the incumbent, who did well replacing Aitken at the end of last season. Lomax is bigger and has some ball playing skill and a bit of a step and fend. He reminds me a bit of Gasnier (perhaps not as quick). He’s a very solid defender and a good goal kicker. Perhaps he lacks a bit of pace.

They are totally different styles of player, so it’s hard to compare them. Eventually I reckon Lomax will demand selection. He’s almost there now and the kid’s 19. He’ll fill out more which I reckon could see him eventually as a 2nd rower, but will play a few seasons at centre, and yes I can see him replacing Aitken soon.

Como Connection

First Grade
I was one of the 8. My rationale is that Aitken has been playing well so far this year. He’s quick, a hard ball runner, and despite what others say, I think he’s a good defender. When he hits he hits hard. He plays the game hard and generates quick play the balls. He does a lot of the little things right in the game. He lacks ball playing ability though.

At the start of the season I probably would have gone with Lomax as the incumbent, who did well replacing Aitken at the end of last season. Lomax is bigger and has some ball playing skill and a bit of a step and fend. He reminds me a bit of Gasnier (perhaps not as quick). He’s a very solid defender and a good goal kicker. Perhaps he lacks a bit of pace.

They are totally different styles of player, so it’s hard to compare them. Eventually I reckon Lomax will demand selection. He’s almost there now and the kid’s 19. He’ll fill out more which I reckon could see him eventually as a 2nd rower, but will play a few seasons at centre, and yes I can see him replacing Aitken soon.
Mary is not going to drop EA.
I don't see a future for him at the club with Mary in change.
CC

getsmarty

Immortal
Time for Mary to make a big change
Star youngster Zac Lomax deserves a starting spot, or at least more game time amid the Dragons’ goal kicking struggles.

Ed Chisholm

CONTRIBUTOR
April 24, 2019 - 9:20 am

GettyImages-919205260-696x464.jpg

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 17: Head Coach of the Dragons Paul McGregor looks on during the NRL trial match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and Hull at ANZ Stadium on February 17, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images)

A side on a four-game winning streak sitting in the top six is one you wouldn’t tend to change, however Dragons coach Paul McGregor must make a crucial call ahead of a huge Anzac Day test against the league’s top side in the Roosters.

With first choice kicker and captain Gareth Widdop sidelined until at least the finals, the Red V’s kicking duties have fallen to Tim Lafai, whose two games in charge with the tee have resulted in some disastrous kicking which almost cost the side twice.

Luckily for McGregor there’s a quick and easy fix, and he’s already in the starting 17.

Having stepped up for the side in crucial periods of a game in his short NRL career already, the Dragons desperately need star youngster Zac Lomax on the field for as long as possible.

Just seven months ago, Lomax was handed the responsibility of taking a penalty kick in the Dragons’ semi-final against the Rabbitohs which would put the side ahead with only minutes on the clock. The Temora juniour stood over the ball like he could’ve kicked it with his eyes closed and smashed the Steeden through the sticks.

It’s this steal and confidence that must be thrust upon the side in next week’s Anzac Day, in light of the club’s goal kicking conundrum.

Beyond Lomax’s ice cool goal kicking ability he is an out-and-out brilliant player, who in his short NRL career has already proven his freakish ability. Dubbed ‘the gifted one’ by NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler, Lomax is a big body with electric agility and an eye for big plays.

In a game which is almost always won by a matter of points, the Dragons can’t afford to get the small things wrong on Anzac Day against the Roosters.

And with that, Mary has a big decision to make: give Lomax bigger minutes off the bench, or replace one of his current starting 13 with Lomax?

Currently playing in Lomax’s preferred positions of fullback and center are Matt Dufty, Euan Aitken and Tim Lafai, all of whom McGregor is unlikely to move on.

Which means if Lomax comes into the 13, rookie Fijian winger Mikaele Ravalawa seems the most likely to be moved. Whilst he scored the try that won his side the game against Manly, and has shown improvements in his combination with inside centre Euan Aitken, Ravalawa’s defense has still proven to be shakey and he has become a target for high kicks after a number of drops.

https://www.zerotackle.com/time-for-mary-to-make-a-big-change-43219/

giboz71

First Grade
The Aitken situation just annoys me,

Not up to scratch but has patches of good form that create an illusion that he is actually better than he is. Even the media fell for it last year when he was being touted for Origin.

It's actually a crap situation because guys like that never get moved on because of the odd good game here and there.

Mitch Rein was like that for a while, but he at least had the decency to be consistently crap for an extended period that even we had to move him on.

It will need to get to Rein levels before anything happens to Euan.

possm

Coach

Ok then just for me, have a good look for this game. I think you will change your mind.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Time for Mary to make a big change
Star youngster Zac Lomax deserves a starting spot, or at least more game time amid the Dragons’ goal kicking struggles.

Ed Chisholm

CONTRIBUTOR
April 24, 2019 - 9:20 am

GettyImages-919205260-696x464.jpg

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 17: Head Coach of the Dragons Paul McGregor looks on during the NRL trial match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and Hull at ANZ Stadium on February 17, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images)

A side on a four-game winning streak sitting in the top six is one you wouldn’t tend to change, however Dragons coach Paul McGregor must make a crucial call ahead of a huge Anzac Day test against the league’s top side in the Roosters.

With first choice kicker and captain Gareth Widdop sidelined until at least the finals, the Red V’s kicking duties have fallen to Tim Lafai, whose two games in charge with the tee have resulted in some disastrous kicking which almost cost the side twice.

Luckily for McGregor there’s a quick and easy fix, and he’s already in the starting 17.

Having stepped up for the side in crucial periods of a game in his short NRL career already, the Dragons desperately need star youngster Zac Lomax on the field for as long as possible.

Just seven months ago, Lomax was handed the responsibility of taking a penalty kick in the Dragons’ semi-final against the Rabbitohs which would put the side ahead with only minutes on the clock. The Temora juniour stood over the ball like he could’ve kicked it with his eyes closed and smashed the Steeden through the sticks.

It’s this steal and confidence that must be thrust upon the side in next week’s Anzac Day, in light of the club’s goal kicking conundrum.

Beyond Lomax’s ice cool goal kicking ability he is an out-and-out brilliant player, who in his short NRL career has already proven his freakish ability. Dubbed ‘the gifted one’ by NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler, Lomax is a big body with electric agility and an eye for big plays.

In a game which is almost always won by a matter of points, the Dragons can’t afford to get the small things wrong on Anzac Day against the Roosters.

And with that, Mary has a big decision to make: give Lomax bigger minutes off the bench, or replace one of his current starting 13 with Lomax?

Currently playing in Lomax’s preferred positions of fullback and center are Matt Dufty, Euan Aitken and Tim Lafai, all of whom McGregor is unlikely to move on.

Which means if Lomax comes into the 13, rookie Fijian winger Mikaele Ravalawa seems the most likely to be moved. Whilst he scored the try that won his side the game against Manly, and has shown improvements in his combination with inside centre Euan Aitken, Ravalawa’s defense has still proven to be shakey and he has become a target for high kicks after a number of drops.

https://www.nospam21.com/time-for-mary-to-make-a-big-change-43219/

Dare I say these sentiments (now well & truly from beyond the Club) must be getting near 95% traction TBH

Sacrificing so much for a park centre is rapidly becoming farcical

You need to make a call Brian or Bruce?

possm

Coach
Dare I say these sentiments (now well & truly from beyond the Club) must be getting near 95% traction TBH

Sacrificing so much for a park centre is rapidly becoming farcical

You need to make a call Brian or Bruce?
Brian and Bruce have already spoken with the extension of Mary. There needs to be a shake up.

j0nesy

Bench
Ok then just for me, have a good look for this game. I think you will change your mind.

I will have another look... I’ve watched every game this year and he’s done well. Last season was a mixed bag for Aitken, started well and faded towards the end of the season, but he wasn’t the only one.

I agree that we need Lomax in the side but I’d bring him in for Rav for now.

possm

Coach
I will have another look... I’ve watched every game this year and he’s done well. Last season was a mixed bag for Aitken, started well and faded towards the end of the season, but he wasn’t the only one.

I agree that we need Lomax in the side but I’d bring him in for Rav for now.
Lomax is never going to look good outside Aitken. They are both contesting the 3 jumper, do you think Aitken is going to give Lomax any ball at all.

j0nesy

Bench
Lomax is never going to look good outside Aitken. They are both contesting the 3 jumper, do you think Aitken is going to give Lomax any ball at all.

Haha :joy: Aitken is not a ball player. He doesn’t give much ball to Rav either. I doubt it will be anything personal. He’ll get his chances from cut out passes, support play, broken play and maybe even kick returns. Just like our other wingers.

Latest posts