What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Roosters

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
You are correct, mate.

This mean McGregor needs to change to plan B and play Lomax so we have a recognised goal kicker.

If we make a game of it, it may come down to a goal kick that wins it.

Lafai is a backup kicker only.

This is where the fans want to see McGregor run out a team relevant to the required game plan needed to beat the Rorters.... not send out just another team.

The onus will be on his selection.
Lets see if he's learnt anything.

We all know McIdiot doesn’t learn.

kit66

Bench
The team line-ups are pretty similar to last year when we beat them 24-8. They've beefed up their pack a little but the replacements are young'ns mostly.
The team stats last year were almost identical on runs, metres, tackles, errors, penalties etc. Where we outdid them was offloads (20 - 8 ), kick metres and line breaks. Hunt's kicking game kept turning them around. In fact Hunt had a mighty game if I recall, always lifts when playing against his origin team mates / competitors. Add Norman's kicking game and guile to the mix and we're about to watch an almighty match up in the halves, Cronk and Keary vs Hunt and Norman, will be an absolute cracker I'm sure.
I'm going for an upset, Saints by 7.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Keary is supposedly in doubt with concussion & if so I hope they play Mitchell at 5/8.
The couple of times he's played there he doesn't look comfortable,Plus he'll be easier to find in defence.Make him do as many tackles as possible.I'd also like to see Dufty model his game on Tedesco by hunting around the rucks & running from dummy half when possible.His speed in these situations would be dangerous.

kit66

Bench
Yeah we suck.

If you guys turn up and play your best then we'll get smashed.

Teddy, Latrell, Manu and Toops are no match for the likes of Dufty, Ravalawa, Lafai and Aitken.

And Keary and Cronk have nothing on Norman and Hunt.

And our forwards like JWH, Taukeiaho, Liu, Cordner, Radley, Crichton and Tetevano are plodders compared to your pack.

Dragons 40 Roosters 0

Cocky sarcasm, love it. We've wiped the smiles off JWH and Keary's stoopid faces before, don't be too sure we can't do it again. The more JWH gets owned the stupider the faces he pulls, have you noticed that, he starts pulling this weird face I can only describe as his Mardi Gras face, complete with hands on hips ( I'd call it something else but don't want to upset anyone ).

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Keary is supposedly in doubt with concussion & if so I hope they play Mitchell at 5/8.
The couple of times he's played there he doesn't look comfortable,Plus he'll be easier to find in defence.Make him do as many tackles as possible.I'd also like to see Dufty model his game on Tedesco by hunting around the rucks & running from dummy half when possible.His speed in these situations would be dangerous.

I hope they play Mitchell left right out!

possm

Coach
You are correct, mate.

This mean McGregor needs to change to plan B and play Lomax so we have a recognised goal kicker.

If we make a game of it, it may come down to a goal kick that wins it.

Lafai is a backup kicker only.

This is where the fans want to see McGregor run out a team relevant to the required game plan needed to beat the Rorters.... not send out just another team.

The onus will be on his selection.
Lets see if he's learnt anything.
Yes I don't understand Mary's stance on this. If he swapped Aitken and Lomax, he could always bring Aitken back on the field if he was not happy with Lomax's performance.

I'm sure Mary is aware of this but is just plain too stubborn to accept that Lomax may just shine at right centre.

possm

Coach
Yeah I agree after Sims has taken care of Cronk let him start on Mitchel....great player but loses it quickly.....was going to suggest Aitken gets right up Latrells jock strap...then realised I was talking about Euan
Aren't Sims and Mitchell on the opposite side of the field; Sims on our left side and Mitchell on OUR right edge. Michell will be opposite Frizell/Host, Hunt, Aitken or Lomax and Rava.

To me this match up will be the key to the result of the game.

LINESPEED

Juniors
That's disappointing mate.
You might want to tell Lomax to bring his own pillow or booster seat.

My bet OKB is that Lomax won’t get # 3 until Waterboy & Turnstile are
absolutely,
totally,
unambiguously
& definitively
convinced
that their mutual Origin campaign is
FINITO

or the hammy miraculously intercedes

So give us a break Freddie & put us all (especially the delusionals here & at The Taj) out of our collective misery FFS

Tommy Smith

Referee
You clearly have us in the backs, its like boys playing men.
The halves, you may have a slight advantage but its not enormous.
The forwards we kill your mob and that is where we will win the game.
Best of luck, may the best team on the day win!
Aha I admire your optimism.

I'm glad that people continue to underrate our forward pack. JWH, SST and Liu are all Internationals and in career best form. Cordner and Crichton are both Blues, and Radley will be too soon enough. Aubusson and Tetevano are tough, seasoned pros as well and great defenders.

I've seen some great Roosters forward packs in my time but the 2019 version might be the best yet.

So I think we can get you in the forwards; especially with JDB absent. But your backrow is still awesome and Vaughan should be the first Blues prop picked on form.

So your boys are more than capable of holding their own. Especially on Anzac Day as the players tend to raise their game 10%.

You also have a good record against us in this clash so I'm under no illusions that it'll be a tough game.

But I'm also very confident that, regardless of the result, Robbo will once again time our run to the finals better than Mary.

getsmarty

Immortal
r07_preview1_roosters-v-dragons.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Roosters v Dragons: Round 7 preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 23 Apr 2019, 09:01 AM

The Roosters came, saw, and conquered in last week's grand final re-match with Melbourne, sending a firm reminder to everyone that the road to the premiership runs through Bondi.

A head injury to Luke Keary was a concern for coach Trent Robinson but the premiers showed once again their knack for covering important positions when key men go down.

They boast some of the most lethal players in the game - Tedesco, Mitchell - and are playing much better than they were this time last year but can't drop their guard in Thursday's annual Anzac Day showdown.

The Dragons beat the Roosters 24-8 in last year's Anzac Day game and have won four in a row after dropping their first two games in 2019. They won't mind being the underdogs on Thursday.

Match: Roosters v Dragons

Round 7 - Thursday 25th April

4:05pm

Home Team

Roosters

2nd Position

Away Team

Dragons

6th Position

Venue: Sydney Cricket Ground

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Key match-up
Plenty hinges on the clash between halves Cooper Cronk and Ben Hunt, but Tim Lafai has a truly tough job on his hands trying to subdue Roosters centre Latrell Mitchell, who has shrugged off a relatively slow start to the season to be back in peak form. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves' battle with old hard-head James Graham should also be a beauty.

For the Roosters to win
Trent Robinson was pumping his fists when Mitchell nailed the match-winning field goal in extra time against the Storm but it would've been an entirely different picture if his team had lost after leading 20-0. The Roosters have to rid themselves of their tendency to fall asleep in the second half after charging out to comfortable leads.

For the Dragons to win
They need to keep the Roosters in their own half as much as possible via a pinpoint kicking game and must play with discipline. Shutting down second-phase play is crucial, especially when Keary and Tedesco are lurking. The outside backs will have to be defensively alert for 80 minutes.

Brett Kimmorley says
Due to the prestige and aura of Anzac Day, it is a great honour for the players to be involved in this match. Latrell Mitchell was amazing last week and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves was also back to his best. Hopefully Luke Keary will be fine to play. For the Dragons, they’ve been fighting their way to wins. The forward battle will be amazing. Whatever pack wins, their haves will have time to play footy. Roosters by 2

Stat Attack
Latrell Mitchell is the NRL's top point-scorer (57) after six rounds and has kicked the most goals (24), while Luke Keary is tops in try assists (9) and support play (120). On the flip-side, Mitchell has given away a league-high 12 penalties.

And another thing ...
The Dragons were going so well 12 months ago that the Anzac Day game was billed as a possible grand final preview. It was half right. The Roosters clicked into turbo over the second half of the season and went on to claim the title. The Dragons hit the wall heading into the post-season before shocking the Broncos in Brisbane in week one of the finals and almost upstaging the Rabbitohs before a late-game meltdown.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/23/roosters-v-dragons-round-7-preview/

getsmarty

Immortal
Our right edge and possibly our fullback will be our venerable elements. If Lomax is not in the 13, goal kicking will also be a problem.

If we put our best team on the field and the 50/50 decisions went our way, then we have every chance of winning this game.

With Lomax at 3, SGI win 18-12.

You never know.....