What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

shiznit

Coach
Really? Why were you disappointed in The Mandarin then?

It's not about what happened in the comics, it's about who the characters are. You aren't adapting the characters if all you are using is their name and everything else about them is completely different, which is what happened to every other character in Homecoming but Spider-Man and even he was changed a heap by giving 90% of his genius to Iron Man.

So if Disney decide to reboot X-Men again and change the characters as much as they did in Spider-Man then yeah I won't be interested.

I thought it would be f**king obvious... but sure i can spell it out for you...

I was disappointed in the mandarin because he’s a key villain for iron man and they turned him into an actor??

They turned one of iron mans main antagonist’s into basically a small plot point.

Obviously it was stupid in the context of the history of Marvel... but it was just as stupid in the context of the film itself...

Matua

Bench

I was disappointed in the mandarin because he’s a key villain for iron man and they turned him into an actor??

They turned one of iron mans main antagonist’s into basically a small plot point.

Obviously it was stupid in the context of the history of Marvel... but it was just as stupid in the context of the film itself...
I liked the Mandarin plot twist but can understand that others don't.

I don't read the comics, I've read a few since the movies have come out but they were never really my comics as a kid. When I grew up the local dairy only really had GI Joe and the Nam so they were the comics I read (and I was an 'army' kid as opposed to 'superhero' kid).

But I can see why posters are confused with your point, on the one hand you say you view the films and comics as different beasts yet you feel changing the Mandarin is stupid in the context of the history of Marvel, whereas the MCU doesn't really have that history attached.

shiznit

Coach
I liked the Mandarin plot twist but can understand that others don't.

I don't read the comics, I've read a few since the movies have come out but they were never really my comics as a kid. When I grew up the local dairy only really had GI Joe and the Nam so they were the comics I read (and I was an 'army' kid as opposed to 'superhero' kid).

But I can see why posters are confused with your point, on the one hand you say you view the films and comics as different beasts yet you feel changing the Mandarin is stupid in the context of the history of Marvel, whereas the MCU doesn't really have that history attached.
I get that it comes across as hypocritical...

but I’m talking about levels here... The Mandarin is Iron Man’s main antagonist...

Could you imagine if they did the same to the Joker??

The comics are the inspiration... It means use the wonderfully rich source material as a guide.... but don’t be beholden to the comics narrative as they have built a massive overarching narrative in their own right...

But it also doesn’t mean to take a giant dump on the material... like Fox’s original Deadpool.

Which i hardly think Spider-Man homecoming did...

That’s the balance Feige has to keep...

Springs09

Juniors
Favourite Film: Captain America: Civil War

Least Favourite Film: Avengers: Age of Ultron

Favourite Hero: Captain America

Favourite Villain: Thanos

Biggest Disappointment: Death losing all meaning and the utter mediocrity of 3/4 of the films. Also the cancellation of 'Agent Carter' if that counts.

Best Fight Scene: Cap + Bucky v Stark

Funniest Moment: Any of Drax or Luis from Ant-Man's comments

Saddest Moment: Old Peg with dementia

Most Mind Blowing Moment: Airport fight in Civil War

Most Badass Moment: Cap holding the helicopter/'I can do this all day'/'I'm with you til the end of the line'

Biggest Shock/Twist: Bucky and the Starks

Favourite MCU Director: Russo's

Most Eagerly Anticipated Character You’d Like To See In The MCU In The Future: Old man Logan, though it's about a one in a million chance.

Springs09

Juniors

Jesus why do people get so worked up on this site..

If you were disappointed in the Mandarin for that reason then you do care what happened in the comics. Like I said, it's about who the characters are. And all the characters in MCU Spider-Man being in name only is as disappointing to me as the Mandarin being used for a silly plot twist.

Springs09

Juniors
I get that it comes across as hypocritical...

but I’m talking about levels here... The Mandarin is Iron Man’s main antagonist...

Could you imagine if they did the same to the Joker??

The comics are the inspiration... It means use the wonderfully rich source material as a guide.... but don’t be beholden to the comics narrative as they have built a massive overarching narrative in their own right...

But it also doesn’t mean to take a giant dump on the material... like Fox’s original Deadpool.

Which i hardly think Spider-Man homecoming did...

That’s the balance Feige has to keep...

Well Homecoming did. It doesn't make it a bad movie but it really has nothing in common with the source material at all, other than Spidey himself being kinda the same. I'm pretty sure if the original Spider-Man movies had his origin being as the rebellious teen protege of Iron Man there would have been plenty of outrage. But the MCU has enough fanboys now that the changes are glossed over.

And they did do the same to the Joker. Have you not seen Suicide Squad? I'd rather Joker be a british actor than whatever Leto was supposed to be.

shiznit

Coach
Well Homecoming did. It doesn't make it a bad movie but it really has nothing in common with the source material at all, other than Spidey himself being kinda the same. I'm pretty sure if the original Spider-Man movies had his origin being as the rebellious teen protege of Iron Man there would have been plenty of outrage. But the MCU has enough fanboys now that the changes are glossed over.

And they did do the same to the Joker. Have you not seen Suicide Squad? I'd rather Joker be a british actor than whatever Leto was supposed to be.
Spider-Man homecoming wasn’t an origin story.

They skipped the origin component of his story because we all know Spider-Mans story.

Jared Leto’s joker was terrible... but they they didn’t reduce his role into an actor pretending to be the Joker thereby assassinating Batman’s main antagonist. All so they can make a C-Level villain look better.

After Leto they can recast Joker and get it right...

In the case of the MCU and it’s continuous narrative they have pretty much destroyed Iron Mans main antagonist.,. All to make Aldrich Killian look threatening.

It didn’t make sense to me...

shiznit

Coach
I think about 90% of the MCU's fans are not comic fans, and the Mandarin is hardly as well known in popular culture as the Joker.
That may well be the case.....

but the question was posed to me... because I was mentioned i was disappointed by what they did to the Mandarin.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Wasn't there a short movie made as an add on with the fake mandarin being visited by the real one in prison?

Springs09

Juniors
Wasn't there a short movie made as an add on with the fake mandarin being visited by the real one in prison?

He was interviewed by a Ten Rings member and tells him about the real Mandarin. It was made in part as a response to the backlash.

jargan83

Coach
Less than 24 hours for me. Not gonna be able to focus at work tomorrow.

Bought my tickets about 45 minutes after they went on sale and all of the prime time screenings were sold out.

Anzac Day is going to be a big day!

I saw that my local Hoyts are opening at 6am tomorrow and thought about a cheeky pre-work screening. Granted it would make tomorrow a half day lol

shiznit

Coach
Less than 24 hours for me. Not gonna be able to focus at work tomorrow.
I’m the same... 6:20PM session 2moro...

I was in the islands on holiday last year so I didn’t watch IW until a couple of weeks after it opened...

This one I can’t wait a day... :joy::joy:

Latest posts