What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Simple Stats

emjaycee

Coach
Nice to see that after 6 rounds and despite our 0-19 loss last week, we are coming second in attack, having scored only 12 points less than the Roosters (2 less tries and 2 less goals). If they are the benchmark team, we are not too far behind TBH.

Our D has been pretty good as well, even though we have missed an average 32 tackles per game, we have conceded the third least amount of points over the first 6 rounds.

If we can keep this up we will be definitely playing semi-final football.

Gronk

Staff member
Nice to see that after 6 rounds and despite our 0-19 loss last week, we are coming second in attack, having scored only 12 points less than the Roosters (2 less tries and 2 less goals). If they are the benchmark team, we are not too far behind TBH.

Our D has been pretty good as well, even though we have missed an average 32 tackles per game, we have conceded the third least amount of points over the first 6 rounds.

If we can keep this up we will be definitely playing semi-final football.

Assume that the "contenders" are Roosters, Storm, Raiders, Bunnies and maybe STG. If we to take the 5,6,7,8 position, then we'll need to nail games like Newcastle and take STG to the wire in the next few weeks.

emjaycee

Coach
We are as much contenders as Raiders and St George.

They (St George) should be thinking that they need to take us to the wire to be considered serious threats.

Incorrect

Coach
We are as much contenders as Raiders and St George.

They (St George) should be thinking that they need to take us to the wire to be considered serious threats.
Agree. Have a look at the Dragons 4 successive wins - 1 point win v the Knights, a 1 point win v the Broncos (both teams with only 1 win for the season), a 2 point get out of jail win v Manly and a demolition job on the Bulldogs. Hardly convincing IMO. I know 4 W's in a row looks great on the form sheet but it's not all wine and roses when you take a closer look.

hindy111

Post Whore
Agree. Have a look at the Dragons 4 successive wins - 1 point win v the Knights, a 1 point win v the Broncos (both teams with only 1 win for the season), a 2 point get out of jail win v Manly and a demolition job on the Bulldogs. Hardly convincing IMO. I know 4 W's in a row looks great on the form sheet but it's not all wine and roses when you take a closer look.

You dont win comps in April.
They have an excellent roster and if put 2 or 3 big wins together everyone will change tune.
Melb have not been convincing. And last week Parra looked dreadfull. Long time to go.
Melb,Rooster,Sharks,Saints are my best 4.

hindy111

Post Whore
Id put a line in the following

Knights -They will be fired up this week.
Dogs
Warriors

Other teams can come good. And I dont think there is much between any of them tbh.
I reckon Eels can be a dark horse for sure. Like the Sharks they are winning with some elite players missing.

Incorrect

Coach
They have an excellent roster and if put 2 or 3 big wins together everyone will change tune.
Melb have not been convincing. And last week Parra looked dreadfull. Long time to go.
I get that. I was just trying to point out that our four wins have been somewhat more impressive than the Dragons 4 wins so far IMO and agreeing with MJC that if anything, they should be thinking the game against us is more a test for them at this stage than it is for us.... Bottom line is, we need to bring the effort we did yesterday every week....

strider

Post Whore
Id put a line in the following

Knights -They will be fired up this week.
Dogs
Warriors

Other teams can come good. And I dont think there is much between any of them tbh.
I reckon Eels can be a dark horse for sure. Like the Sharks they are winning with some elite players missing.
Updated power rankings ffs!! .... get on it @hindy111

strider

Post Whore
I get that. I was just trying to point out that our four wins have been somewhat more impressive than the Dragons 4 wins so far IMO and agreeing with MJC that if anything, they should be thinking the game against us is more a test for them at this stage than it is for us.... Bottom line is, we need to bring the effort we did yesterday every week....
Im still not entirely sure we have been that good ourselves

Panthers - are cleary (clearly) poo this year so far
Dogs - wooden spoon favs
Sharks - been all over the place had injuries
Tigers - pretenders, tho putting 50+ on any team is good

Our loss vs Roosters was good - we played well
Our loss to the Raiders probably not as bad as it looks on paper 0-19

Im still sitting on the fence with my friends cock shaped bong about our efforts .... certainly a great improvement, but far from convinced

Incorrect

Coach

Dogs - wooden spoon favs

Im still sitting on the fence with my friends c**k shaped bong about our efforts .... certainly a great improvement, but far from convinced
Fair enough. One thing the Raiders loss showed me was that defensively we are pretty sound this year. We had bugger all possession for the match and when we did have it we handed it straight back to them. They scored 3 tries and 1 of them was from an arsey ricochet off a kick. So I'd list our performances as better than the Red V so far. If we fall to the Knights or get out of jail in golden point this week then I'm prepared to reassess...

EelsFan05

Bench
Fair enough. One thing the Raiders loss showed me was that defensively we are pretty sound this year. We had bugger all possession for the match and when we did have it we handed it straight back to them. They scored 3 tries and 1 of them was from an arsey ricochet off a kick. So I'd list our performances as better than the Red V so far. If we fall to the Knights or get out of jail in golden point this week then I'm prepared to reassess...
Absolutely. And we had a fair try taken off us after absorbing plenty of pressure to start the game. The change in the way games are reffed has us back in the contest.

Last edited:

Djay

Juniors

2 Raiders tries from kicks and one was after absorbing non stop pressure for 25 mins straight against the Raiders. Other then that they never looked like scoring. Our defence is absolutely awesome this year and that's what for me signals a good team, if you can defend and turn teams away like we are doing you will always reap the rewards. Yesterday was a prime example, 2 or 3 tries we scored were from absorbing pressure and turning the Tigers away, and within the next set we went up the field and scored. Some of our scrambling defence and some of the try savers we made yesterday and over the past few weeks has been a joy to watch. I can count at least 3 or 4 from yesterday, that saved certain tries. That shows you where we are at this year, and it is in a very good place.

Our attack is also brilliant and we are building it off the back of our defence, if we keep turning up in D like we are, our attack is only going to get better and it will be very hard for us not to be playing finals football.

I think our defence is the second or third best in the comp and our FA is only 7 behind the top, that indicates we are as good as anyone in the comp in both attack and defence. We are missing some key players right now and once the 4 or 5 of them are back, we are going to be in a real good place.

It's true you don't win comps in April but that applies to everyone. You can't blame some of us for getting excited after yesterday irregardless of how the year turns out. Geez, we're all living with a lot more hope than we had at this time last year. Well, most of us.

Dogs - wooden spoon favs

Im still sitting on the fence with my friends c**k shaped bong about our efforts .... certainly a great improvement, but far from convinced
Bro, do you even choof the chaff? if no then what are going to do with it lol?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Dogs - wooden spoon favs

I’m not sitting on the fence. We will finish 6th and get kicked out in the second week of the finals.

Absolutely. And we had a fair try taken off us after absorbing plenty of pressure to start the game. The change in the way games are reffed has us back in the contest.
When I read the pre season memo from the NRL to the Refs about the interpretations for this year, that basically stated to allow teams that are playing "free flowing footy" to do so, I got a bit excited and thought that might benefit us. It is the NRL we are talking about so you never know but it seems to be a godsend ATM.

Latest posts