What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor Extension

to_ddeath

Coach
I'm just stoked the Sharks didn't have to sacrifice 2 points this year like we had to for the LAST Mary extension. 2 points in exchange for 3 years of Queens mediocrity was a high price to pay, but in the end probably worth it.

They allow you on the internet in jail???

Old Timer

Coach
No doubt many can find a way to sugar coat our results thus far and no doubt wins are wins but ask yourself the question are you happy with the style of footy we are playing and do you think the style we are playing if sustained will be good enough to beat the top teams or win a comp?
No doubt we are all pleased to eke out a win and of course happy to take the 2 points but surely we want to enjoy our team actually playing attractive footy or doesn't that matter?
My biggest gripe is actually about the style of footy we play and how boring it can be and I am somewhat envious of the way some teams play even when they lose.
I very much miss a Soward break, a B Moz length of the fielder, a Mundine moment or a Blacklock blinder.

possm

Coach
No doubt many can find a way to sugar coat our results thus far and no doubt wins are wins but ask yourself the question are you happy with the style of footy we are playing and do you think the style we are playing if sustained will be good enough to beat the top teams or win a comp?
No doubt we are all pleased to eke out a win and of course happy to take the 2 points but surely we want to enjoy our team actually playing attractive footy or doesn't that matter?
My biggest gripe is actually about the style of footy we play and how boring it can be and I am somewhat envious of the way some teams play even when they lose.
I very much miss a Soward break, a B Moz length of the fielder, a Mundine moment or a Blacklock blinder.
In the first half of season 2018, our forwards were dominating and we were off-loading and passing the ball often. To me our style ws mostly very entertaining. Our big problem was at the time not affecting our game - bench rotation and resting injured players. After SOO fatigue and injuries set in and we were gone for the season.

Old Timer

Coach
In the first half of season 2018, our forwards were dominating and we were off-loading and passing the ball often. To me our style ws mostly very entertaining. Our big problem was at the time not affecting our game - bench rotation and resting injured players. After SOO fatigue and injuries set in and we were gone for the season.
possm
this bum has been in charge for an eternity and we have played very limited games of entertaining football.
Those that have been entertaining beggar the question why not all the time?

BennyV

Referee
I personally don’t care about attractive footy if we win.

Problem with our style is that it’s not sustainable and won’t win us games when it counts.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Nothing has changed at all.
2 losses
2 Golden point wins from Norman 40m FGs - sensational but hard to depend on those too often.
Flogged a second rate Canterbury by bullying their forwards AND
Lucky to beat a plucky Manly in the last few minutes.
Happy to get the competition points but I see no difference from previous years.
If the forwards dominate opposition packs we usually win.
When that starts to fade, so do the results.
Consistently using 16 players will end up repeating previous fades.
Exactly Dennis use 16 and approx 34 hours of extra work for our tired forwards thru the year. .....

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Winning in style or winning ugly, it's still registered as a win and in years to come all the record books will show is a W or a L next to our name.

However, like you, and a few others, our constant use of the "power" game, will ultimately lead us to our famous fades. The big question remains, our back-ups are they ready? the obvious (to us) is no, but I'm sure the coaching staff are all over it, I mean just need to see whose names appear each week in the 21 to get the answer.

possm

Coach
Winning in style or winning ugly, it's still registered as a win and in years to come all the record books will show is a W or a L next to our name.

However, like you, and a few others, our constant use of the "power" game, will ultimately lead us to our famous fades. The big question remains, our back-ups are they ready? the obvious (to us) is no, but I'm sure the coaching staff are all over it, I mean just need to see whose names appear each week in the 21 to get the answer.
I'm sure everyone on here will understand that smashing up your body week after week without sufficient rest to recuperate or take care of injuries will eventually see your body fatigued.

A remedy for this is good bench rotation and resting players who need a rest. In the long run having a player miss a game now and then is far better than being without that player for long periods or having that player inhibited on the field for many games.

Mary just does not learn. He has employed the same policy on this year after year with thee same result, fatigue and minor injuries causing poor performance from mid season on.

Old Timer

Coach

Indeed it is recorded as a W or a L for historical purposes but at the time did I really enjoy the game is an important question for me.
If I don’t enjoy the style then far less likely I will attend the game as it is very easy to stay at home and turn the tv on it off as desired.
Surely it is incumbent on the team to make sure the fans have an enjoyable experience?

BLM01

First Grade
Mary on 2ky "of the top 10 players interviewed they thought I was part of the solution not the problem"
http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/W96fVt.mp3
Ha...translated.. so he was part of the problem but chose to leave out those words as he needs to find solutions to the problems and cant.
Thanks Loz....for letting the Shane Flanagan coming to the Dragons cat out of the bag. Mary has also confirmed it but through in the catchphrase "we are still finalising it and its close"...but went on to explain his role starting in January...which has already started

Last edited:

Paddles

Juniors
Mary on 2ky "of the top 10 players interviewed they thought I was part of the solution not the problem"
http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/W96fVt.mp3

Breathtaking. What a coward. Still hiding behind the players. I turned if off after 2 mins when he said he learned from his mistakes and didn't keep doing the same thing over and over again, followed by the interviewer starting another question with 'you're a great mate of mine'.

Also, translation of the above:

'I control everything that happens at this club, and none of the employees who depend on my unwavering patronage for their paycheck responded to a review I commissioned by saying I was the problem.'