What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam - Remembering the great people of our great game.

The Moose. Rex Mossop. For me he was the face and voice of Rugby League growing up.

25dcaf3286da6447b86a40bf9bf737d4

King hit

Coach
Herbert 'Nutsy' Bolt

Played for Newtown and toured with NSW alongside Dally Messenger in the formative years of the premiership. Was killed in action serving on the western front in the trenches Fromelles on the 20th July 1916 where the ANZACS were used as cannon fodder. More than 5000 of our men were killed that day.

Lest we forget

220px-Herbert_and_Jenny.png

2a57c5a57ef4274718ae45422dd2f0cb

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Sam Faust

Our pack at the time had been heavily depleted and the spare parts pack that ran out went above and beyond themselves to hold it together against the best of them. One of those blokes was Sam. Was unfortunately diagnosed with leukemia in 2009 after playing 20 odd games over 07 and 08 and passed away age 26 in 2011.

Remember reading that he didn't register his first missed tackle until his 5th or 6th game which for a middle forward is a top effort. For the majority of younger kids or 2005 bandwagoners that jumped on board this was the first dark time for them as a supporter of the club with some terrible seasons but sam did himself and the fans proud and did everything that was asked of him.

Ferris Ashton.

Born on 21 August 1926 in Bondi. A Bondi United Junior, he was graded by Eastern Suburbs playing his entire first grade career for the club as a second row forward from 1950 to 1956. He played 87 games scoring 20 tries. He also played 8 games for Australia between 1952 and 1953, with him playing in 5 out of the 6 tests during the 1952-53 Kangaroo Tour. His playing career ended when, in 1957, he took up a job as safety manager on the Snowy Mountains Scheme.

He was also a good grade cricketer, who played for Waverly Cricket Club. He had a top score of 106 not out.

He served in the navy during the second World War, on the destroyer HMAS Quickmatch. During his time in service, he became a good boxer, fighting in 19 amateur fights and being undefeated. He beat the best boxer in the US navy in a bout just after the end of the war.

Ferris was a passionate roosters and rugby league man, and after returning to Sydney in 1962, he eventually joined Channel 7 where he appeared with Rex Mossop, Alan Clarkson, Col Pearce and Noel Kelly on Controversy Corner which he appeared on for its whole 19 years on air.

Along with the late Bill Collier from St George, the Ashton-Collier medal is named in their honour for the player of the match in the Anzac Day match between the Roosters and the Dragons.

"From early days I was the keenest of Eastern Suburbs fans. Many, many times I sat on the hill at the sports ground and SCG and watched Easts in their red, white and blue. When I look back now I'm very, very proud of the fact that I never played with another club. They were my club." - Ferris Ashton

Parra

Referee
Terry Fearnley

Was unlucky not to be our first premiership coach. At the time I saw him as the epitome of grit, determination, leadership and authority.

So fitting that he became the first coach to take NSW to an Origin series win.

Greatly enhanced his status by pissing off Queenslanders.

Had a massive role in making Origin what it is. NSW need more officials like him.

70c0d0874868e7488d64178500d616bf

Quentin Pongia has passed away age 48. RIP...

Rugby league great and Canberra Raiders legend Quentin Pongia has passed away following a battle with cancer.

The 48-year-old Kiwi legend was held in high esteem within the game and was considered one of the toughest players to lace the boots.

The rugby league community rallied around Pongia in November last year when he had a tumour removed from his bowel.

gettyimages-650573934.jpgcrio1.jpg

Latest posts