What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Roosters

getsmarty

Immortal
normanc-field-goal-190328700-sd.jpg

DRAGONS

10-year wait for Norman to become field goal sharpshooter
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 24 Apr 2019, 07:59 PM
walshdan-head.png

It's taken Corey Norman 10 years of first grade to back himself as a field goal sharp shooter as the Red V recruit squares off with fellow golden point match winner Latrell Mitchell on Anzac Day.

Norman's left boot has proven instrumental in keeping the Dragons afloat amid injuries and off-field distractions to start 2019, his back-to-back field goals against Brisbane and Newcastle securing crucial wins in the past month.

The traditional Roosters-Dragons Anzac Day clash has form when it comes to close finishes, and so does Mitchell.

His booming 40-metre one-pointer to sink Melbourne last week has been the talk of the NRL town since last Friday, with the fact both he and Norman offer left-foot options at the clutch making them prime contenders should it go down to the wire on April 25.

It's a far cry from the first 170 games of Norman's career, in which he kicked just the one field goal for the Eels in 2017, before nailing successive match-winners in his first four weeks at the Dragons.

"I got one for Parra and that was pretty wonky but I guess I've never really been in so many situations where we needed a field goal," Norman told NRL.com.

Norman slots field goal for Dragons win

"Obviously with Gaz [skipper Gareth Widdop] going down, he's the Dragons go-to man.

"I knew I didn't have a good strike rate, I've tried a few field goals but they haven't come off. I'd say the change is me just backing my ability and saying 'just give me the ball and I'll have a crack'.

"I'm lucky that those two went over and we've got the two points. It's very pleasing but in saying that I wouldn't mind just winning in normal time too.

"That field goal was something else by Latrell, and you probably wouldn't expect anything less from him. He's just such an athlete and he's so gifted. Hopefully we don't have to go into that field goal battle with him."

While Norman's halves partner Ben Hunt hasn't kicked a field goal in 218 first grade games, the Roosters boast arguably the NRL's best exponent in Cooper Cronk (21 one-pointers) steering the ship alongside Mitchell.

It was Cronk's feigning to the right that gave Mitchell ample time to slot his monster drop punt against Melbourne, prompting plenty of Roosters teammates to join him in practice at Wednesday's captain's run.

Left-footed playmakers are on the rise across the game, with Norman joined by the likes of Camerons Munster and Smith at Melbourne and Brisbane's Jamayne Isaako also striking them well as southpaws.

With teams well-versed in defending the crucial play late in the game, Norman says he has stepped into the void left by Widdop thanks to the point of difference he offers with the game on the line.

"When Gaz was there we'd get to the left post, and with him obviously being a right-footer we'd get there and he'd be the man for the shot," Norman said.

"But the last couple of times with me, we'll go right post and I've got the left foot as a point of difference, so anywhere right of the posts is fine by me."

Norman wins it in golden-point again

Regardless of how the 80, or possibly more, minutes play out before a healthy SCG crowd on Thursday, Norman is wary of keeping his emotions in check on what has grown to be one of rugby league's marquee events.

"I've been looking forward to the Anzac Day game for a while," Norman said.

"The boys have told me a few stories about the atmosphere and the occasion and how it's just electric. It's a day where you're honoured to play and everyone reflects on how privileged we are to live in such a country and be able to play footy for a living.

"The emotions could come into it, but I think it's about knowing your role and what you've got to do.

"If you've got that down pat you can embrace the day and the game, but you still know what your role is come kick-off."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...for-norman-to-become-field-goal-sharpshooter/

getsmarty

Immortal
dkkd.jpg

TEAM LISTS

24-hour warning: Round 7 (Anzac Day Cup) v Roosters
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 24 Apr 2019, 04:05 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has amended his 19 ahead of the Dragons' traditional Anzac Day clash against the Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Jonus Pearson and Lachlan Timm were the two to be omitted from the initial squad named on Tuesday.

NRL squad for Round 7 (Anzac Day) v Sydney Roosters –

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
2.Jordan Pereira – sponsored by SMAI
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham (c) – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11.Tyson Frizell (c) – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Dincel ConstructionSystem
15. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group
16. Jacob Host – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Mitch Allgood
19. Jai Field

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/24/24-hour-warning-round-7-anzac-day-cup-v-roosters/

getsmarty

Immortal
Five things: Anzac Day (Round 7)
Author
Timestamp
Wed 24 Apr 2019, 04:45 PM

The stage is set for the biggest game of the regular season when the St George Illawarra Dragons take on the Sydney Roosters in the annual Anzac Day clash at the historic Sydney Cricket Ground. Here are five things to keep an eye out for during the match.

Mid-season final

"It's like a final in the middle of the season".

That's how Dragons forward Tyson Frizell described Thursday's big occasion and it is easy to see why.

Over 40,000 people watched the Dragons claim a resounding 24-8 victory last year, helping add to the Dragons' recent run of victories on April 25th. The Dragons have won three of the past four Anzac Day matches and will be looking to ensure that trend continues.

Pre-match ceremony

One of the special aspects of the Anzac Day match is the respect and reverence that is shown during the pre-match ceremony.

This year will feature Army Cadets, renditions from the Royal Australian Navy band, vehicles, and catafalque party before a moving minutes silence heard around Australia will fall across the SCG. The 20-minute ceremony starts at 3:50pm prior to the match.

Sydney Cricket Ground

The historic Sydney Cricket Ground will be the stage for Thursday's fixture with a large crowd expected to come to witness the spectacle.

The St George Illawarra Dragons have enjoyed varied success at the ground, winning eight of 15 matches but falling short in their most recent visit, losing by two points against the Rabbitohs in 2017.

You need to wind the clock back to 2010 – a year Dragons fans will remember fondly – to find the last time the Dragons played the Roosters at the SCG. The Dragons won the crucial meeting 19-12 in what proved to be a grand final rehearsal.

Graham v Hargreaves

While both sides boast plenty of firepower on the flanks, the battle between English representative James Graham and New Zealand enforcer Jared Waerea-Hargreaves will be one to keep an eye on.

The passionate forwards are known for making things personal and refusing to take a backward step. Graham stood up in the dying stages last week to inspire the Dragons to a last gasp victory over the Sea Eagles, while Hargreaves hit form with a try against the Storm. Expect the pair to come face-to-face on more than one occasion.

SCG newbies

Traveling away from the familiarity of your home ground to play at different stadiums is tough for most teams. But Thursday's match will see nine of the Dragons' team play at the SCG for the very first time.

Jordan Pereira, Mikaele Ravalawa, Corey Norman, Ben Hunt, James Graham, Blake Lawrie, Jeremy Latimore, Zac Lomax and Luciano Leilua will experience the SCG for the very first time.

However, they have the experience of Tyson Frizell (five appearances), Cameron McInnes (four), Tim Lafai (three), Euan Aitken (two), Matt Dufty (one), Paul Vaughan (one), Jacob Host (one) and Tariq Sims (one) who have all played matches at the ground.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/24/five-things-anzac-day-round-7/

getsmarty

Immortal
2019_anzacjersey_socialsq.jpg

DRAGONS

2019 commemorative jersey auction now live
Author
Timestamp
Wed 24 Apr 2019, 04:06 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons match-worn 2019 commemorative jerseys are now available to be bid on.

Ahead of the traditional Anzac Day fixture against the Sydney Roosters at the SCG, a live auction will kick start on Wednesday afternoon, April 24 at 5pm.

Dragons members and fans will be given the opportunity to bid on these player-worn commemorative jerseys, a portion of the funds will be donated to the Australian War Memorial.

Read more about the 2019 commemorative jersey here

The live auction will close on Sunday, April 28th between 7pm and 8pm. Tthe end of the jersey bids will be staggered throughout the evening

Each of the player-worn commemorative jerseys will be signed by their respective player, while one team-signed jersey will also be up for bidding as part of the auction.

You can bid for your favourite players' commemorative jersey here.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/24/2019-commemorative-jersey-auction-now-live/

getsmarty

Immortal
KICKOFF: Last Anzac Day clash a lifetime ago for Dragons and Roosters
Dragons Den
r0_0_4963_3209_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

DEJECTED: Roosters coach Trent Robinson and Cooper Cronk leave the field after their defeat to the Dragons on Anzac Day last year. Picture: NRL Photos

THERE'S never a dull Anzac Day match but this year's running of the annual milestone fixture is more intriguing than most, particularly when looking at the corresponding clash last season.

If anything, it showed the way a side starts a season isn't always an indication of how it will finish. Dragons fans are well aware of that fact having made yearly habit of starting seasons much stronger than they've finished them.

Anzac Day last year was a case in point for both sides. The Dragons took their season to 7-1 on the back of 24-8 win. Ben Hunt continued a red-hot start to his career at his new club with a try and a hand in a few others as Paul McGregor's men shot to the competition lead.

Cooper Cronk left the ground with a Tariq Sims-shaped imprint in his ribs. The new-look, and notably pricey, spine was horribly out of sorts. Cronk's career looked to be on the decline after departing Melbourne - that list is a long one.

He was struggling to link with Luke Keary in the halves and their use - or lack thereof - of Latrell Mitchell was so minimal Andrew Johns likened it to leaving "a Ferrari in the garage." The comments came in his guise as a Channel 9 commentator but, tellingly, he was the Roosters halves coach at the time.

Coach Trent Robinson has become more and more withdrawn, even surly, as a media performer with each passing season, but even he couldn't deny the validity of the criticism coming his way.

"It's fair," he said in the post-match.

"It's more on coaches, I think. These guys are trying really hard in that area. We're making them work hard on structure at the moment. We're not giving them freedom with their eyes up footy, which we'll get to."

It seemed the sort of 'trust the process' line any number of coaches trot out through a season (Anthony Seibold anyone?) but as the season wore on it became apparent the comments were the product of self-awareness more the pressure.

From that day they went 13-4 into a grand final demolition of the Storm. In contrast, the Dragons effectively limped into the finals. Hunt the competition's form player to its most maligned, McGregor from coach of the year candidate to supposed flop.

This time around, it's the Roosters who've shot out of blocks. In contrast the Dragons produced a an 0-2 start before grafting their way to 4-2 after six rounds, a new spine still finding it's feet. As last year showed, it's not necessarily an indication of where either side will finish.

When Robinson spoke ahead of his side's rematch with the Dragons in round 20, he labeled their Anzac-Day loss to the Dragons "a lifetime ago." The 36-18 result proved just how true that was. Whatever happens on Thursday, it'll seem a lifetime ago come finals time.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-last-anzac-day-clash-a-lifetime-ago/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra looking to challenge Roosters' NRL throne on Anzac Day
Dragons Den
r0_49_4435_2552_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Signal caller: Paul McGregor directs his men at training. Picture: Adam McLean.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is looking forward to watching his team's defence face a unique challenge when they take on the Roosters' attacking might on Thursday.

After a slow start to the season, the Dragons have won four-straight matches, with the winning streak built on the back of a punishing, and resilient, defence.

The Roosters, however, boast attacking threats all across the park, from James Tedesco to Latrell Mitchell, Cooper Cronk and Victor Radley and McGregor knows his team's defence will be challenged in the Anzac Day clash.

"It's certainly a special day and a real privilege to go out and show respect and remember those who have served, are serving or fallen in the past," McGregor said.

"We know the opposition, they're the premiers and they're on top of the table. We've played some really good defensive footy in the last month, so we need to make sure we're really good with that, playing a talented football team that are playing some good footy.

"For us, we're just concentrating on what we need to do, improving a few areas from last week and continue on what we've done in the last month defensively and really go after it tomorrow."

While both sides head into the match in impressive form and the Roosters sit second on the ladder, the Dragons are the more settled of the two teams.

McGregor has named the same team for three-straight weeks, while the Roosters have made seven changes to the side that survived a golden-point thriller in Melbourne last week.

A Luke Keary concussion has seen Mitchell move to five-eighth, while the premiers have welcomed back Joseph Manu from suspension and Jake Friend and Siosiua Taukeiaho from injury.

The rejigged attacking lineup poses St George Illawarra with a fresh challenge, however McGregor is confident his men will be up to the task.

Read more: McGregor's contract extension the right call despite the hysteria

"We're still missing three good ones, but the stability we've had the last couple of weeks, we've named the same 17, it's important. When you're winning games, it's important to hold the balance together.

"Latrell's a big body, very balanced runner who gains momentum after contact and shows a bully attitude in his defence. It's a challenge, but it's one that when you play against good players, you look forward to as a player.

"Jake's a genuine nine, where Victor is more of a 13. He was doing a really good job, but Jake, he's their leader. He's a busy player, he does a lot of work around the ruck defensively, does a lot of tidy up work and he's a threat."

The biggest game of the NRL regular season, the Anzac Day match is typically a close, hard-fought affair and McGregor is expecting that trend to continue on Thursday.

Given his side has won three of their past four games by a combined four points, McGregor has faith St George Illawarra will handle the pressure of a tight, emotion-filled contest.

"Three of the last four years, it's been won by two points or less. That indicates the rivalry there and the occasion and I don't think tomorrow will by any different.

"It will be a hard-fought contest, dominated through the middle third of the field and finished off by your main ball-players and your skillful backs."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...rge-illawarra-to-face-anzac-day-test/?cs=3713

Water11

Juniors
I mean, Robinson is 1000 times the coach Mary is, and we still convincingly beat them in the corresponding fixture last year.

We always lift for ANZAC Day. Roosters aren't unbeatable, they trail off in the second half. We are a chance.
Last year!! Ha. They've elevated their own performances since that game (and you realise they didn't start s well as they have this year)

Hmmmm. Remember our last game with against them on the SCG? Maybe you'll drag that chestnut out and say we'll return to that occasion.

The past is the past and to keep saying "because we beat them last year" doesn't fix the current warra issue we have and it looks as if it will continue for so long now. Of course, I hope I'm completely wrong but as we couldn't defeat Manly as we should have, the players won it for themselves and us, because the talent that lies underneath is being slowly driven out of them by a useless board and chief Bromden.

I hope I'm wrong.

Saints111

Juniors
Mark my words, ravalawa is going to bomb so many trys, the rooster will know he's our weakness and target him like every club should do. Let's see how many air balls he takes.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Last year!! Ha. They've elevated their own performances since that game (and you realise they didn't start s well as they have this year)

Hmmmm. Remember our last game with against them on the SCG? Maybe you'll drag that chestnut out and say we'll return to that occasion.

The past is the past and to keep saying "because we beat them last year" doesn't fix the current warra issue we have and it looks as if it will continue for so long now. Of course, I hope I'm completely wrong but as we couldn't defeat Manly as we should have, the players won it for themselves and us, because the talent that lies underneath is being slowly driven out of them by a useless board and chief Bromden.

I hope I'm wrong.
You've really run away with this in anger, but I'll just quote your original post

We'll be flogged. We are nowhere near them with moron in charge, we never will be. Argh….

You said never will be, an absolute statement, I merely provided an example of when we were, before you then moved the goalposts.

I have little expectation of a repeat, however you can never say never in the NRL

Water11

Juniors
You've really run away with this in anger, but I'll just quote your original post

I haven't run away. The board have though. Especially with care for our past and future.

You said never will be, an absolute statement, I merely provided an example of when we were, before you then moved the goalposts.

I have little expectation of a repeat, however you can never say never in the NRL

A repeat of 1975 is more in the window unfortunately.

Coffs dragon

Bench
There is a chance the Roosters fall a bit flat after getting up for the game last week against the Storm. Their second half was way down on their first half.

grasping at any glint of hope for today. Give it to them like its 2010!
I'm thinking it will be a close battle today as always, but unfortunately goal kicking will be our nemesis. I just hope McJetski can get Lomax on the paddock sooner before it's too late. Go the Dragons cook the Chooks!

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Did he end up with more running meters and fewer mistakes than Ravalawa? Pereira has been playing well. I don't mean to denigrate him but I think Ravalawa has much more potential upside. As a result, for now I wouldn't be in favor of dropping him. If Pearson were playing so well in the ISP as to demand inclusion in he NRL team, I'd drop Pereira. Pearson doesn't happen to be a goal kicker, does he? Is Field the goal kicker in the ISP?
POTENTIAL yes that's the word but at present Jordan is much safer ,more polished and harder running than Ravalawa ,who has a lot to learn just hope his learning process doesn't take too long.... .

Wittenberg

Juniors
"Do a Chambers on him"?! Sorry, how did that work out for Will in the origin series last year, let alone the Grand Final again? :D

Not saying Latrell Mitchell can't be put off his game, but I would not be using Will Chambers as the poster child to follow on this one.
A fair point but it is still a good tactic. He can be put off his game. To be honest Tariq would do well against him because he would not take hard hits well and I think we should put someone else against Cronk because he is becoming a protected species.