What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

80 minutes 1 run 13 meters

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
And that is why the Tigers say he was the worst signing in their teams history.

He then goes to the Broncos and plays out of his skin.

We got the Tigers version of Blair.

1 run for the entire game!

Thats not how the game is played it it?

Thats not worth $800k is it?

And we knew we were getting the Tigers version. Of course we were. I thought I knew before the 2017 World Cup then I knew I knew after the Fiji loss and the press conference.

He's like Issac Luke. They're both leaders in teams full of leaders with strong systems and standards held up by those around them. When they're expected to set their own standards and be the most powerful leaders amongst less experienced squad members, they fail miserably.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
If he's making 42 tackles and a lot of them are hard ones on our line, then I don't think we should be too carried away with the amount of metres he makes. Micheal Luck used to make 30m from 8 carries and no one tended to get into it too much. We've always talked about how we need defensive steel and Blair often brings that, when he's not being a penalty magnet f**kwit like last week.

I still think he's a dud buy but I don't also see the full relevance of using running stats for a guy who was never picked to offer it.
Difference is Luck would not have been on anything close to 800k which is marquee money. I'd be more than happy to accept that output if he was on say half of his current whack, but when you get paid the big bucks you have to do everything. Making 1 run in 80 minutes is taking the piss.

Plus side is we didn't agree to the 4 years he was after.

guten_targ

Juniors
42 tackles.

It doesn’t excuse the lack of runs, but it’s not insignificant.
I like the fact he did some work defensively, I'd take that over a total absence any day, also add to the fact the play of the ball was also not aimed at him and same can be said for most games played this year, hell I like 42 tackles over kata missing 4 out of 6 tackles and letting in 2 tries a game.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Bronco Blair sometime soon though

Big Marn

Juniors
I like the fact he did some work defensively, I'd take that over a total absence any day, also add to the fact the play of the ball was also not aimed at him and same can be said for most games played this year, hell I like 42 tackles over kata missing 4 out of 6 tackles and letting in 2 tries a game.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Bronco Blair sometime soon though
yeh, i think last night was the Blair we were getting last year when we were winning those tight games on our defense.
Hardly any hitups, a reasonable amount of tackles etc. So its not like this is a new thing. It just got glossed over last year as we got off to such a hot start. However, this year hes not even reaching his 2018 standard and the team is in a 2-5 hole, so we have plenty of reasons to point the finger now. His tackle count would have been even lower tonight if Jazz hadnt picked up his calf injury early on.

morningstar

Juniors
This isn’t the NFL. You need to play both sides of the field.

Yes, exceptional defensive effort, but as mentioned the other back rowers managed to make more tackles than Blair and still deigned to take more than one hitup.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Difference is Luck would not have been on anything close to 800k which is marquee money. I'd be more than happy to accept that output if he was on say half of his current whack, but when you get paid the big bucks you have to do everything. Making 1 run in 80 minutes is taking the piss.

Plus side is we didn't agree to the 4 years he was after.

I totally agree. I said it about SJ, he might've been a better halfback than we've got but he wasn't a $1m halfback in terms of what he offered to our squad and salary cap makeup. Burr is offering much more than Blair for what, a quarter of the price?

Matua

Bench
Isn't one of the issues why he isn't having more runs? He's never been the type of player not to run with the ball - why is he not getting runs now? Is it him or is it the style of game played?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
What's Blair's total over the last 3 weeks? 60-70m over 3 games?

3 games we could and probably should have won, attacking with 12, forcing our backs to do all the forwards work, sacrificing speed and agility in the process because we require battering rams on the flanks.

Iafeta

Referee
It’s funny. It’s rare to see a bloke being so passionate about NZ Rugby League yet at the same time couldn’t give less of an effort If he tried for his club.