What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footy players who don't watch footy

adamkungl

Immortal
Thoughts people?

In the last few weeks not one but two Saints wingers have said to the media that they don't watch footy, at all, outside of team video sessions.
Not to pick on the Dragons - I reckon this is common, especially among players plucked out of junior Rugby Union in Fiji and the Pacific. To use a cliche - Great athletes but not great footballers.

I hate work as much as the next chump and don't really want a bar of it after 5pm, so I can see where they're coming from. But my job is dime a dozen and i'm not directly competing for my position in a cutthroat environment on a daily basis. These blokes straight up admit to not knowing who their opposite number is!
Especially in backline positions where knowing your opposite could provide a slight edge, this seems limiting. Is the video review a few days before enough?

Seems it's become normal now for these Gen Z types in the game, who are naturally quite simple and not very intelligent (that part hasn't changed much tbh).

They're too busy getting tattoos, playing video games, watching NBA or NFL, posting shit to Instagram, spending money on stupid shit, and calling each other 'bra' to watch the game and focus on their craft.

This Year?

Immortal
Thoughts people?

In the last few weeks not one but two Saints wingers have said to the media that they don't watch footy, at all, outside of team video sessions.
Not to pick on the Dragons - I reckon this is common, especially among players plucked out of junior Rugby Union in Fiji and the Pacific. To use a cliche - Great athletes but not great footballers.

I hate work as much as the next chump and don't really want a bar of it after 5pm, so I can see where they're coming from. But my job is dime a dozen and i'm not directly competing for my position in a cutthroat environment on a daily basis. These blokes straight up admit to not knowing who their opposite number is!
Especially in backline positions where knowing your opposite could provide a slight edge, this seems limiting. Is the video review a few days before enough?
Just shows how much those wingers give a shit. Look at who is their.coach who would probably struggle to find the play button on a remote, so that's the example set. Not surprised really. Some players don't love the game like fans do and also aren't really "shareholders of the game" like Toddles wants us to believe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No time for TV when your twittering, instagramming, smashing avocados and getting a womans bun haircut.

T-Boon

Coach
It sounds kind of the opposite to what the Johns boys use to say. Those guys loved the game. Had respect for the game. Were students of the game.
Maybe it is a result of the generation now playing or maybe it is how dull over coaching has made things.

DeeJ

Bench
I remember a few years ago, Hayne and Jamal Idris both said they didn't watch footy. It's like its uncool to them or something and they would rather invest themselves in American sports.

Generalzod

Immortal
Common in most work places how many of you guys still think of work when you leave for the day, probably the same goes with footballers

BranVan3000

Coach
Small scale but I hated watching footy while I grew up playing it. I really only started watching consistently around 18 when I stopped playing

It just felt boring as shit compared to actually being out there

I imagine it’s just that but amplified for footy players as they are around if, training and playing all week long and are far more energetic than I would ever be

T-Boon

Coach
Common in most work places how many of you guys still think of work when you leave for the day, probably the same goes with footballers

I think it should be different as footballers are in the entertainment industry and it should be a passion rather than a job. I would think most/all good musicians (not pop musicians) listen to a lot of music. Same with writers, they read a lot.
If the modern NRL players watched NRL more they would have worked out 15 years ago how boring the coaching/game play has become and they would have slapped their coaches in the face and taken over.

gerg

Juniors
I guess I could understand if it was from a 10 year NRL veteran who had been elite level and the Dragons wingers don't fall into that category. Ravalava should been strapped to a chair (a clockwork orange style) because he clearly doesnt know what he's doing out there.

no name

Coach
I remember an interview with Andrew Fifita, I think it was on the professor, and he didn’t know anything about footy.
He didn’t know that Ben Ikin played, and he said something about Origin, either the first time he watched or first time he watched a live Origin was his first game.