What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 7 vs Eels @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 7: Knights v Eels

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Parramatta Eels 1-12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Play like shit last week. So we keep the exact same team this week. Fmd

I wouldn’t read too much into the team sheet at the moment, it’s only 2 days after the game and I don’t think Brown will make any quick decisions, at least not publicly. I think we’ll see a few changes by match day. I’m expecting Buhrer to start at hooker and Levi back to bench, DSaf to swap with Gavet and it also wouldn’t surprise me if Sione comes in for Fitzgibbon. Although Watson hasn’t been great so far I think we need to stick with a consistent halves pairing now so I’m willing to give him some leeway for his errors but he definitely needs to improve his effort.

aqua_duck

Coach
If we go in with the same forward pack Parra are going to murder us. Their spine will have a field day against our tired, slow forwards.

Old dog

Juniors
Think we will see changes such as DanS starts with Gavet likely dropping out and Sione to bench, Watson to hooker, Lino to 5/8 and Levi or Buhrer to bench or drop out.
Drop out Levi or Buhrer, Saulo, Gavet and Moga
Bench Levi or Buhrer, Sione, Ese’ese and King.

Spot On

Coach
For fans who enjoy the opinions of those 'who have made the game not just a weekend past time but a way of life, studying the game, analysing it and have given most of their life to it' ......

LEAGUE
10 hours ago
Newcastle Knights’ lack of fight ‘sad’, says Immortal Andrew Johns
WRITTEN BYSPORTING NEWS

newcastle-knights_92exnc66789v12mmtgif8o3j9.jpg

LEAGUE
NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS V PARRAMATTA EELS
NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS
PARRAMATTA EELS
LEAGUE

Newcastle legend Andrew Johns has declared the Knights' lack of fight 'sad' and declared coach Nathan Brown could be in peril if his 'great roster' misses the top eight.

After opening the 2019 season with a victory over Cronulla, the Knights have lost their last five games to sit in 15th spot on the NRL ladder.

Last Sunday's 38-14 loss to the lowly Gold Coast Titans was a new low point for a Knights roster that was widely predicted to make the finals this season after a painful rebuild under Brown.

"Looking from afar they are so disappointing because they've got a great roster," Johns said on Channel 9's Freddy and the Eighth.

MORE: The NRL Lurker: The Nathan Brown habit causing Newcastle unrest |

"People were even talking up a top four (finish).

placeholder_1h6oz6y7381yo1beqsfcb9eejb.png

"The one that really hurt me was the game two weeks ago against Manly when they didn't put up any fight.

"… And there was no fight against the Titans, absolutely no fight - it's sad."

After abandoning the disastrous decision to shift star full-back Kalyn Ponga to the No.6 jumper, Brown has also used Mason Lino, Kurt Mann and Watson at pivot in the opening six rounds.

A defiant Brown on Sunday declared he saw no reason to change his current halves pairing of Mitchell Pearce and five-eighth Watson.

But the legendary half-back declared Watson, who has been named at five-eighth for Sunday's crucial clash against Parramatta, isn't the answer for the struggling Knights.

"For me, Connor Watson isn't a five-eighth, so they have to scrap that," he said.

"I don't know what position he is - I think he's good in jersey 14 where he just gets on the field and plays."

There have been reports the under-fire Brown could keep his job even if the Knights miss the NRL finals.

But Johns suggested management will make a change if the Knights can't climb into the eight by season's end.

"If they don't make the eight then I think he may struggle to stay there," he said.

Spot On

Coach
John's possibly with an over inflated view of our roster??? Says it is a 'great roster'.

He does have a history of talking up fairly average players. But how could a RL legend like Johns, an 'Immortal', be so wrong????

Goes against Brown's attempt to make Watson into a 5/8.

Interesting views to say the least.

Last edited:

Knight Vision

First Grade
John's possibly with an over inflated view of our roster??? Says it is a 'great roster'.

He does have a history of talking up fairly average players. But how could a RL legend like Johns, an 'Immortal', be so wrong????

Goes against Brown's attempt to make Watson into a 5/8.

Interesting views to say the least.
Johns is right. Dont think we have a side to challenge for the Premiership but certainly have one that should be in the 8.

I also dont think Watson is a 5/8. Flippers for hands and no kicking game= not the 5/8 we need.

The way the dogs are playing we could be last after this round

slotmachine

First Grade
Have a read of Toohey's article in the herald if you want a good laugh regarding team selection for this game.

Yosh

Coach
I'm finally at that place where I have no expections anymore so I'm happy to just watch us play. If we get a win that's great. I'm sure Ponga and Ramien will put a show on for us anyway. Even King is worth watching these days.

Bartwah

Juniors
Sione May spend time at 5/8. Brown really likes making it hard for me to keep defending him

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Sione May spend time at 5/8. Brown really likes making it hard for me to keep defending him

Yeah this is a mind boggling decision if true, why not just start with Buhrer at hooker if he’s not happy with Levi?

Also clearly Levi is back on the outer. I would be having a serious crack at Brandon Smith at the Storm if there’s any chance of him looking for a starting spot somewhere.

Spot On

Coach
How about the vast improvement in our defence since Sione got hurt?

Too right... Sione has dropped off the top of the NRL's missed tackle list since his 2 weeks rest began. He has improved out of sight!!!!!

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Guerra is a big loss re defence.

Unfortunately, our problems run much deeper than just poor defenders.

Team has nothing to lose now - run hard, tackle hard for a change.

Last edited:

Latest posts