What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Friday 26th April 7:35pm @Panthers Stadium

Rabbit Stew

Juniors
Well, another scrappy win but probably Souths' best performance in a month. I thought Penrith were pretty good in the second half with a loud crowd behind them so it's was a good effort to hold on.
Turner looked more comfortable in the centres, (but we need Burns and Doueihi back), Cody's speed was probably the difference between the teams and Murray did his State of Origin chances no harm.
I also thought our bench was good tonight

Mr Spock!

Referee
A bit of topic but I'm going to indulge one of my pet whinges in the rugby league rules - I don't believe a double movement should be a penalty.
Too often we see attacking players not sure whether they should reach out or not and sometimes they will genuinely not know if they've touched the ground with the arm carrying the ball.
The we see stupid penalties like the Fisher-Harris one tonight where he was not attempting to gain an advantage but his side lost the opportunity to keep attacking the line.
Fair enough, it should be no try if there's a double movement but the player should just get up and play the ball.
As it stands, attacking teams are penalised to harshly and defending teams benefit too greatly but do nothing to earn the reward
Nah.

Then everyone will do it knowing there won't be a penalty.

The point is the tackle is completed.

bunny hopped

Juniors
Tough win tonight. Our defence was solid in that second half. We were camped on our line for an eternity. I thought our forwards had real punch around the ruck. Thought Cookie was a bit quiet tonight but he did his job. Cody & Reyno were solid in attack and D.

callmack1

Staff member
Wow, what a game that was!! Seriously, that was incredible!! And we win in ANZAC Round!! A great performance form us tonight and that's exactly the kind of game we needed. The boys were fired up and were on song for most of that game for the first time in a few weeks, it was great to watch in a gripping contest. An awesome show of resilience from us as we really dug our heels in and put in a gutsy effort to come away with the two points. Don't get me wrong, it's still nowhere near our best performance but that was mightly after the last few sloppy games.

Attack was better tonight as we played more direct. Instead of going wide straight away, we earnt the right to go wide by first getting the roll on through the middle. Then, when we did go wide, the attack looked a lot more crisp and had more 'umpf' to it for lack of a better word. We just looked a whole lot more dangerous. The forwards were outstanding in laying the platform too, paticularly the bench which provided great impact. It was high energy, high intensity stuff from us when we were on the offensive all game and despite the wins, we haven't seen that for a while. Completion rates were pretty good which is a bonus. Of course, there is still a lot to work on because even though we did improve and it looked good for the most part, I still think we lacked a bit of direction at times.

Defence was without a doubt the most pleasing thing about that game. Such resiliance we showed defending our own line which is again, something we haven't seen in a while. At times it was just a brick wall that wouldn't let anything past we turned them away that many times. It was honestly simply outstanding because Penrith threw a lot at us but we were able to hold. Yes, they did still score eighteen points but that is all through weight of possession.An awesome defensive performance from us, outstanding.

Johnston: Was really good tonight. Despite the one drop (that we re-gathered) he was pretty safe at the back when under pressure. He was regularly involved in the attack and his hit ups and kick returns were solid. I noticed he was giving a lot of direction from the back which shows how much he has matured.

Allan: Apart from the failed trap of the ball that nearly cost us, he was good. Solid runs with a high workrate and even bagged his second NRL try. His defence was awesome though, he did such a good job with his decision making.

Turner: Really good. Outstanding defensively, everytime Penrith went right, he had it covered and would produce a textbook tackle to stop them. Had a strong running game and that try was all power!! Good to see Kyle confident in his role. Pure power for his try!!

Gagai: Very good, probably one of his best games for a while. He seemed to up his involvement a bit and was doing a lot of the shit work coming out of our own end which was great to see. His defence was pretty solid too and with the help of others, I think he did pretty well on that right edge. The pass he threw for Allan's try was just freakish and it was great support play for his try too!

Graham: Not too much to say but he did do his job with some strong runs. Defensively he was very good too and he came up with some big plays such as ball strips for us. Did make an error or too but was otherwise very good.

Walker: Was one of our best tonight, a great game from him. As I seem to say every week, he just looked so dangerous everytime he got the ball and there was always something happening around him. Fantastic attacking play for his try and the try he set up for Gags, I was just in awe of that. Solid defensively too and saved our asses a couple of times. man, I hope Cody can keep this form up.

Reynolds: After a below par few weeks for Reyno, he responded tonight in a big way! Tonight was a masterclass from him at times with a beautiful kicking game that was constantly pressuring the back 3 and it built a significant amount of pressure for us from both his short and long kicks. He was running the ball too and combining with Cody a bit. Gagai's try was started by Reyno and it was beautiful to watch that little inside ball. The vision he showed at other times throughout the game was amazing. Then there was his defence, it was so good. To handle a big, explosive player like Kikau for the most of the night at his size is incredible. A top performance from Reyno.

Tatola: A bit more quiet than the last few weeks as he didn't get as many minutes but what he did get was mint. Strong runnig game and it was great to see those legs pumping post contact.

Cook: Cookie was a little quiet too just due to the style and flow of the game and he didn;t get many chances to run. Still, his service from dummy half was spot on and as always, had that huge work rate in defence and the few runs he did have were good.

T.Burgess: Tom stepped up tonight no doubt. He just looked more aggressive and ran with more intent then in previous weeks, he really charged into the line did Tom. I was actually suprised by the amount of ball he got as his work rate was actually quite high tonight and he was also trying to put on some shots in defence. He needed to lift and he did.

Sutton: Wasn't bad. More minutes than usual and he did his job with plenty of nice runs using that left foot step. No stuff ups defensively and I guess this is all we can ask of Sutto - to just be solid and do your job. He did that tonight.

S.Burgess: Good game from Sam as always. He was in everything and was super busy all game long as we have come to expect. He made some very aggressive hit ups tonight and made plenty of meters to really set the tone for the rest of the game. The job he did with Reyno on that Penrith left edge was simply outstanding too, hardly anything was getting through.

Murray: Good once again. Just the workhorse performance we have come to expect from Cam with a very high involvement and strong running, almost breaking the line a few times in fact. He generated a lot of second phase footy tonight with offloads too which always helps. I'd like him to just look at his discipline in defence a bit as he gave away some sloppy penalties.

G.Burgess: Not much to report on with George as he played very limited minutes and apart form a good couple of runs, did nothingreally. We need so much more out ot George.

Nicholls: I'll just start by saying that most of our bench was outstanding tonight and I think that is a large part of why we won, they were amazing. Nicholls was part of this as he did his job really well with safe defence, strong running ad the ability to generagte second phase footy.

Lowe: Had a great game tonight and provided great impact off the bench. He was especially busy towards the end of the game where he was making a lot of runs as well as tackles. He gave his all for us tonight and was pretty good.

Knight: Loved his impact the other night when I watched it. Made some quality runs with huge post contact meters and that is all down to the aggression and effort he runs with. The bench were really good tonight.

All up, still not the perfect performance, there's a lot to work on obviously but I'm happy with our game tonight. A much improved perfromance that was very gutsy.

RDT

Juniors
Turner is obviously a back rower playing centre, but this run in first grade might be his making as a first grade second rower.

I hope his try running over the top of Cleary helps give him back his confidence with the ball in hand.

The dude is a powerful ball runner who makes a lot of post contact metres, but since his neck injury he's been reluctant to get involved with the ball in hand.

If his time at centre helps him realise what a beast he is, this time might be a blessing in disguise

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The scary thing is I still don’t think we’ve hit our peak. We made a lot of silly errors in that game and whilst we were great defensively we put a lot of pressure on ourselves through those silly errors. This is a great side and it’s scary to think how good it could be. People are talking about the roosters and storm being daylight from the rest of the competition, I love it. We’ll come from nowhere just like 2014 again.

Credit to Turner. I bagged him a lot over the last year or so but he has really stepped up in that centre role. I thought he would get exposed big time tonight but it appears as if his confidence is growing.

handyman2190

Bench
Turner is obviously a back rower playing centre, but this run in first grade might be his making as a first grade second rower.

I hope his try running over the top of Cleary helps give him back his confidence with the ball in hand.

The dude is a powerful ball runner who makes a lot of post contact metres, but since his neck injury he's been reluctant to get involved with the ball in hand.

If his time at centre helps him realise what a beast he is, this time might be a blessing in disguise
Agree! I think he has played himself into a new contract after being told he wouldnt be resigned, good on him, the defence of all was unbelievable, 55 tackles on our line, penrith came ready to play and would have beaten many other teams, the grit we showed ,i dont believe, gagai had his best game tonight, the bench was awesome,bennett should be lauded,our bench for years has been our downfall,he knew it and fixed it.
Glory glory SSTID

Mr Spock!

Referee

Playing back rowers in the centres is a Bennett tactic eg Carroll and beau Scott.

Travitoh

First Grade
When Burns returns, would you leave Turner at centre and push Gagai back out to a wing?

I don't want to get carried away with last nights performance but overall i feel Turner has been reliably good in the backs and has outplayed Allan far a spot in the starting 13 imo.

Rabbit Stew

Juniors
When Burns returns, would you leave Turner at centre and push Gagai back out to a wing?

I don't want to get carried away with last nights performance but overall i feel Turner has been reliably good in the backs and has outplayed Allan far a spot in the starting 13 imo.
Turner has been solid at centre but it should only be seen as a stopgap measure.
For mine, George Burgess has been the least effective player in the 17 since he returned from suspension so, if I was in charge, he would be the one to make room for Burns, with Turner going back to the bench with Lowe, Nicholls and Knight.
I am willing to concede, though, that Wayne has coached a few more NRL premierships than me so he might not be looking for my advice on this one

handyman2190

Bench

No, id go back to the rotation as it was with turner on the bench to cover backline injurys, i admit gagai looks better on the wing but i feel burns needs an experienced partner out there and gags is it,i also feel allen should stay were he is,the more first grade he gets,the better he will get, in preparation for his eventual transition to FB, if that ever happens now. The reason allen left the donkeys was that he was stuck behind darius, if he is stuck behind AJ and not in 1st grade he will leave.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

I think Burns definitely takes the centre position as for Turner I think he actually should move back to the bench rotation as he was running some deadly lines last night. If his form continues he could be a great impact player off the bench at around the 20-40 minute mark. Give Sam a deserved break and bring him back on after 51 minute mark.

Rabbit Stew

Juniors
I think Burns definitely takes the centre position as for Turner I think he actually should move back to the bench rotation as he was running some deadly lines last night. If his form continues he could be a great impact player off the bench at around the 20-40 minute mark. Give Sam a deserved break and bring him back on after 51 minute mark.
51 is strangely precise. I like it