What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger05

First Grade
I reckon Matterson is better on the edge anyway. I wouldn't be chasing an edge backrower when we look okay there. We do need a goal kicker but I wouldn't recruit a player into an area where we are reasonably strong just to get a goal kicker.

A centre or winger who can kick goals at a high percentage to me are much better options. We get to fix a couple of problem areas.

The Rosco

Bench
I reckon Matterson is better on the edge anyway. I wouldn't be chasing an edge backrower when we look okay there. We do need a goal kicker but I wouldn't recruit a player into an area where we are reasonably strong just to get a goal kicker.

A centre or winger who can kick goals at a high percentage to me are much better options. We get to fix a couple of problem areas.
Gamble obviously kicks goals, and has a lot more going for him.
Is he an NRL level centre ? Dunno, I'm not an NRL coach. But in his role as 5/8, he likes to play fairly wide of the ruck. The fact he kicks should give him the benefit of a bit of doubt for the shift to NRL centre. He has bulked up considerably pre-season.
I reckon we are mad to not promote him for a game or 3 and see how he handles it. He's lightning compared to Jennings or Marsters. Great stepper, short and long kicking game, and fast. Defends OK as well. Compared to Jennings, he's an upgrade in every KPI except NRL experience. Same for Marsters, actually . . . . .
We have to give the talented kids in CC a go sooner or later, or we just lose them.
The dogs gave Okenbur and Meaney a chance and they have both worked out so far. If they crashed and burned . . . well, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Tiger05

First Grade
Gamble obviously kicks goals, and has a lot more going for him.
Is he an NRL level centre ? Dunno, I'm not an NRL coach. But in his role as 5/8, he likes to play fairly wide of the ruck. The fact he kicks should give him the benefit of a bit of doubt for the shift to NRL centre. He has bulked up considerably pre-season.
I reckon we are mad to not promote him for a game or 3 and see how he handles it. He's lightning compared to Jennings or Marsters. Great stepper, short and long kicking game, and fast. Defends OK as well. Compared to Jennings, he's an upgrade in every KPI except NRL experience. Same for Marsters, actually . . . . .
We have to give the talented kids in CC a go sooner or later, or we just lose them.
The dogs gave Okenbur and Meaney a chance and they have both worked out so far. If they crashed and burned . . . well, nothing ventured nothing gained.

I'd give him a go on that left edge and see how he goes. In some ways though I'd like to see him given another go at 6.

west4ever

Juniors
Before we signed Mbye, Alex Johnston from the bunny’s was on the tigers raider, Johnston would of been a better signing, everyone was saying Johnston wasn’t the player we needed, he has speed skills and a better attacker then Mbye, our points per game would be up by at least 10, tigers a struggling for points because of or fullback, I don’t want to hear about the half’s, the fullback isn’t giving them another option.

The problem with Mbye is his knee injury is effecting his speed to the point that he offers nothing,I would rather see him out of the team and given time to recover fully.
Thomo or Nofo could both fill in at the back until Mbye is fully recovered.
Unfortunately it has been the WT way in not promoting young fast outside backs for a number of years now, their only avenue to first grade seems to be that they have to move to another club as was the case with JAC and Koribete. Both Gamble and Heleta offer a lot in attack but never seem to get a chance to prove themselves in the top grade.

gordsy

Juniors
The problem with Mbye is his knee injury is effecting his speed to the point that he offers nothing,I would rather see him out of the team and given time to recover fully.
Thomo or Nofo could both fill in at the back until Mbye is fully recovered.
Unfortunately it has been the WT way in not promoting young fast outside backs for a number of years now, their only avenue to first grade seems to be that they have to move to another club as was the case with JAC and Koribete. Both Gamble and Heleta offer a lot in attack but never seem to get a chance to prove themselves in the top grade.

For the millionth time. Korro was out of favour for off field Issues. Right or wrong is subjective but to say we just let him go is wrong.

gordsy

Juniors

Since Ivan the idiot f**ked us with his high price dud signings the question is do we have the cash to do this.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Next year Benji & Farah will retire, Lawrence, E.T, McQueen will all probably be tapped on the shoulder.

With that money we need to sign a gun 80 minute Hooker, centre with pace and backrower.

Then if Matulino and Packer continue dragging their feet they will be moved on as well and we can sign 1 marquee prop and two young up and coming guns.

But then there is reality: Nobody wants to come to our club except reserve graders and first graders who are out of form.

So nothing will happen, all those players will re-sign and stay with us and we will continue to be the most inconsistent team who consistently misses finals

macnaz

Staff member
It was mentioned during the Bulldogs game that Weststigers are interested in jayden okunbor for next season. Surely we can do better than chasing extremely average players like him. Who the hell are our talent scouts ?

Tiger05

First Grade
Since Ivan the idiot f**ked us with his high price dud signings the question is do we have the cash to do this.

Good point. I don't know our salary cap position. I suppose we need to prioritise our requirements and do the best we can do.

You start with the worse position and go from there. I'd start with some speed in the outside backs, then 9, and then replacing our props and 6 when they are moved on. Surely we won't be retaining Packer, Matulino and Reynolds post their current contracts.

Tiger05

First Grade
Next year Benji & Farah will retire, Lawrence, E.T, McQueen will all probably be tapped on the shoulder.

With that money we need to sign a gun 80 minute Hooker, centre with pace and backrower.

Then if Matulino and Packer continue dragging their feet they will be moved on as well and we can sign 1 marquee prop and two young up and coming guns.

But then there is reality: Nobody wants to come to our club except reserve graders and first graders who are out of form.

So nothing will happen, all those players will re-sign and stay with us and we will continue to be the most inconsistent team who consistently misses finals

We signed Matterson and Mbye. These guys would have been in demand. We can get players if we have the money.

Surely Lawrence isn't getting tapped on the shoulder and who is going to take the players mentioned for the dollars we are paying them. I say no one. We just have to let their contracts expire and not re-sign them.

I don't think our squad is that bad. We need to improve it but we can do that by purchasing good players. The best way to improve that is to not purchase players on too much money for too long contracts.

Look at Penrith, the Rorters, St George, Souths and some other clubs that have really good roosters. Sure the Rorters are paying them under the table but other teams seem to develop good squads.

Penrith are a gun team and are still losing games. Can you imagine Kikau, Waqa Blake, DWZ, Fischer-Harris etc in our team. They would make a massive difference. Just getting Kikau and Blake would make us so much better.

If we don't we should have someone permanently based in the Pacific islands watching league and union non stop. And any other sport really. The prototype NRL winger now and into the future will come there. Some of the best forwards are now out of the islands as well.

They need scouts in the UK because the raiders have shown you can get some hidden gems.

And you certainly need to be looking at QLD. All the best Australian players over the last 15 years are qlders. And I don't mean keeping an eye on keebra park either.

If we aren't doing this we should be. Our team is stacked with kiwis who are well on the decline as a league nation. We need to move away from this. But they're all signed long term so what can you do?

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Packer is a worry with declining performance. I wonder if he has been tapped on the shoulder? Not injured as far as I know. Any thoughts?

gordsy

Juniors
Good point. I don't know our salary cap position. I suppose we need to prioritise our requirements and do the best we can do.

You start with the worse position and go from there. I'd start with some speed in the outside backs, then 9, and then replacing our props and 6 when they are moved on. Surely we won't be retaining Packer, Matulino and Reynolds post their current contracts.

I would go a hooker first then some grunt in the forwards. You can have all the speed you like in the back but if they are playing behind a beaten pack it's for nothing. Look at the broncos last year, the forwards aimed up and stopped everyone from realising how dog shit Milf and Niko really are.